First Avenger Secret Identity?

Artistsean

Monkey Boy
Reaction score
Originally, in the comics, and up until about the year 2000 Captain America's real identity (Steve Rogers) was a secret like Peter Parker being Spider-Man.
During WWII Steve was a soldier who was secretly Captain America, few knew about the secret. Later Steve's identity was known by the Avengers but few others I think because he had a secret life with friends who had no idea who he really was. He was a comic book artist on the Captain America comic, lived in an apartment, and all that.
I think later he was mostly associated with superheroes and government agents, but I am not sure. So maybe, if thats how it was, he was both Cap and Steve at the same time.

In the Ultimate Comics Steve Rogers is Captain America AKA Steve Rogers. I think everyone knows, he is both Steve and Cap all the time.

So how should it be in the movie?

Should Captain America try to have a secret life/friends/a job, separate from his Super hero life?
Or should he be Steve Rogers, like in the Ultimates or in the comics (after he revealed his true identity)?

Personally I would like to see Steve Rogers being a comic artist on a Marvel Comics' Captain America comic, while no one knows that he is really Captain America. Something cool about that.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Anybody?

Would you like to see Steve Rogers/Cap have a secret identity like Clark Kent and Peter Parker? Or have his identity known and be a super agent, sort of like being a cop or something. He is Captain America, he lives in the Avengers buidling, everyone knows he is Captain America and Steve Rogers, all his friends are super heroes, and he has no job other than being a superhero.
Which would you prefer seeing in the movie?

I think it should be known because he's literally one if not the most popular person in the Marvel Universe and everyone in the comics know his name (literally everyone). I think if Iron Man can pull it off, Captain America can pull it off. Being that there's a nice reveal of character at the ending.

Could also help if they were to make a Civil War movie.

Yup, his real name should be known.

I could see it go it is known to some soliders in ww2 and alot of government people also. But when he is revived in present day shield, stark, and avengers will know but the general population probably wont know for now.

I just think you'd loose Steve Rogers being a comic artist on the Captain America comic, while no one knows he is actually Captain America.

That's something I can learn to deal with and for a general audience of non-comic readers they won't be able to tell the difference.

Cap's secret identity never seemed to be as big of an element of the character as with characters like Supes, Spidey, Daredevil. I wouldn't be against having it in the films, but I don't think you lose a whole lot if you don't use it and just have his ID known.

i think he's better off without a secret identity. he's not a traditional superhero in that sense. maybe it's just me, but the idea of him being a captain america comic book artist just seems...really stupid.

Yea you can keep him being an artist maybe before he became capt and maybe let him do that work again in present day when he isnt fighting crime/working with shield.

I agree, he isn't a traditional superhero in that sense. He isn't like Peter Parker. He is a government agent.
I do like the idea of him being an artist before being turned into Captain America, and after he is unfrozen showing him do comic book art on his spare time would be cool.

Even in the comics he was an artist before his transformation.

I think he shouldn't have a secret identity. What's he have to hide? He has the government backing him up.

Since he was created by the government, the only reason I can think of that they'd want to keep his identity secret is because he is a symbol of America, and having a name attached would detract from his effectiveness. We'll see where they go with it, but since I'm not a particularly astute follower of Cap's mythos, I don't really care what they decide to do.

well we could go in 40s his identity was secret but since it was known over the years about the SS program got leaked to the public/declassified we could have cap being public known in present day.

In that case, perhaps in the 40's he should have his identity kept secret, and in the 21st century everyone knows his identity.

I would actually be fine either way, and probably even really happy either way.
Cap is a symbol of America, so if they decided to have his identity be secret, I'm all for that. And if they had it classified during WWII, so it was secret then, thats awesome. If he was known in present time because of the age of instant news and information, and the fact that maybe everyone would know since that information might not be classified anymore, thats cool. But maybe its slightly known, or still classified to this day and few if any know his real identity, maybe few remember him. I am all for any of these ideas.
I do like that idea of Steve Rogers not having a secret identity because he isn't a superhero, more like a super government agent. That would make his character stand out from all the superhero movies out there, and show that Marvel character's break the mold. Plus in reality it would be very hard for a celebrity like Captain America (he would be a celebrity) to keep any secrets from the paparazzi.
But I also like the idea that the government would want his identity to be secret, plus he would probably want a gettaway life where he can relax and not have to be Captain America from time to time (like thats possible). A break from the superhero life where he interacts with non-super powered people and maybe works on comics.
Each has its draws, its good points. Plus ways it would be reasonable and realistic to include in the movie, but I am sure each has its down sides too. I guess if they wanted to they could always try both, have it be secret and see how people respond and then have him reveal it later. I guess we will have to wait and see.

So I can go either way, I just didn't include a middle ground because I forgot.

I think it makes sense that his identity would be kept secret, but then after being frozen for 60 years, the SS program has been declassified, and his identity had been revealed since everyone believed he was dead.

Government protection??? How quick are your police to respond to danger at your home? Albeit this is your Captain America, how much is government protection worth against the Kangs and co. anyway?

Think, Loki knows who you are, where you sleep and who you care about.
That would scare me almost as much as being backed by Government would!

In the real world, he would be unknown. In the movie, the baddies knowing him would be great!

The Government should know, but other troop members should not.

I think that people should know Steve Rogers is Captain America to have a person people can trust or have it like Webhead2006 said and have his identity secret in the 40s and public after people belived he's dead

Why else would he wear a mask?

There must be a justification for the mask. He is a top-secret soldier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"