Sentry gets no respect

random_havoc

The Golden Guardian
Reaction score
I'm thinking the What If writers simply hate the Sentry.

The Sentry is my fav character, and one with massive potential. His original mini is one of my top 3 comic arcs of all time.

Okay, aside from all the bad writing that he's had, recently Sentry has been repeatedly trashed in recent issues of what if by those issue's current writers.

Now, two of the three examples come from the issue coming out next wednesday, but I'm irritated so I didn't want to wait to post this. Here goes...

1) In the last What if issue (don't even remember what it was about, which I guess reflects on how unimpressed I was with it) Thor fights Sentry, and after a brief fight, Thor breaks Sentry's neck!
That's right, Sentry, who fought the Hulk when Hulk was supposed to be at his strongest ever and physically beat him to a standstill, got his neck physically broken. ******ed.
2) In this Wednesday's World War Hulk what if, the first of the two stories they start off by changing it so Sentry just plain loses the fight with the Hulk

3) Then, in the end of the second story of What If WWH (What if Thor got involved), Thor basically just talks the Hulk into calming down (anyone else thinks that that's ******ed?), then the writers have Sentry show up in the last few panels as some sort of stupid joke (I can almost here the "waa waa waaaaa") saying "gee, I guess I could have stayed home after all".
And then they top it all of by having Hulk introduce Thor to Sentry, despite the fact that they've met in previous continuity.
SO frustrating.

All I can say is I really REALLY hope Bendis has the mother of all payoffs ready for Sentry coming up soon in DA.

Sentry sucks. That's why he gets no respect. /thread

Seems like Marvel never figured out what to do with Sentry. Someone needs to get him some makeover and not make him look like a d-bag most of the time.

Sentry was supposed to be Marvel's answer to Superman which I thought was cool. But all they've ever done with him is make him cry, run from a fight, or (including recently) get blown up every three seconds. He's done nothing since his debut and has become a totally worthless character.

Look at it in this way. Bob Reynolds was a drug addict so into a fix that he just drank some mad scientist's mystery liquid. That turned him into the void. The sentry is just a shadow image of the real person in the story. That's why he comes back every time cause he's not real, as long as the void's around he can't really die. But as the void has a strong mind and personality sentry is weak as all get out. (from what I understand this is the current depiction of what bob reynolds really is. Since then his powers have been to run away and cry or explode. I like the void a lot but sentry is worse than just a superman rip off, he's just a fictional counterbalance the universe created, there's just not that much there as the main character to a story. Now a void centric story where the sentry provides the villian's role? There might be something there...

I could arguably call Jenkin's original Sentry mini the BEST comic I've ever read (though I question that due to my love of Earth X and a few other stories)... but yeah, ever since his introduction into Marvel proper, he's been barely a shadow of who he was in that previous story.

Sentry was supposed to be Thor's replacement while he was dead after Ragnorak. Marvel needed a new blond haired super powered being and Sentry was it. Now Thor's back, more popular than ever and no one cares bout Sentry. Its as simple as that. In my opinion having an all powerful character like sentry is sorta cheating. A character that powerful makes every other hero pretty much obsolete. I dont even kno why Osborn bothered forming an avengers crew when he's got Sentry. Thats all you need really.

I think that Marvel is going to get rid of the Sentry. They obtained Marvelman and have no problems concerning the rights like others have had in the past and the truth is....the Sentry is a total Marvelman ripoff. And the truth is that mostly due to Bendis using the Sentry horribly and making it feel like Marvel is shoving the Sentry down people's throats, most people just don't like the Sentry.

In my opinion Marvel should have just kept the Sentry the way he originally was a forgotten, but great, hero and I think that they should do away with him but in a respectful way to not piss off the few fans he has, and simply replace him with Marvelman.

I think Marvel should just "kill" Sentry off, and maybe in 5 years or so bring him back with a new attitude and new purpose...a sort of reboot, if you will.

We already have Thor, Hulk and now Marvelman, we don't need anymore omega powered beings. Any more would just be overkill. Just get rid of Sentry.

I have the feeling that when the Sentry goes, he'll be forgotten in continuity like he was "forgotten" before.

:thing: :doom: :thing:

If Sentry is any indication as to what Marvel is gonna do to Miracleman then don't even bother bringing that friggin guy into the Marvel U.
Even though he may be the Osborn Secret weapon

Sentry lacks consistency.

He's either

The greatest hero never known

or

The most powerful crybaby. The character running away in a major fight due to a mental attack is wearing thin. Either put him down or put Reynolds in control.

The Sentry is simply an energy being with a fragmented mind. Emma Frost attack on the sentry showed where Reynolds is. The Void/Sentry is just an energy being who can split apart and be in two places at once. Take Ms Marvel recent resurrection(that was pretty lame considering the comics take place either before she died or after she came back). Multiple places at once with multiple minds.

Yeah, consistency would help a lot. Everybody needs to get together and figure out exactly how strong Sentry and Blue Marvel are, and write them accordingly.

I say make the Sentry a cosmic character. He can find his place in space next to GoG and Nova. The Cosmic Avengers if you will...

I like having somebody that powerful on Earth, protecting people but some sanity wouldn't hurt.

Yeah, space is the only place for him. Get him gone.

We dont need Sentry on earth, we have Thor and hulk both of whom are extremely powerful in their own right. Sentry is overkill. Put him in space.

The space comics are just fine as they are, thank you very much. :oldrazz:

Wait a minute, I don't want sentry screwing up the space lines like he has on earth. Space already has nova, who's like sentry in terms of powers but is an actual good character. Let's just dump him in the Ultimate Universe and be done with it.

Wait, changed my mind, put him in space and rocket raccoon blows him up a different way in every comic. Or groot is mean to him and he runs away crying. Awesome.

Let's just kill him then, seems like nobody wants him anywhere. lol

I agree with what they had Thor say and do in the recent What-if, Sentry's too dangerous to live around mortal life.

I agree with what they had Thor say and do in the recent What-if, Sentry's too dangerous to live around mortal life.

I agree with Thor's statement, but the idea that Thor could just grab him and break his neck is ridiculous considering Sentry physically took on Hulk at his strongest, repeatedly just taking straight up shots from him.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"