Comics Superman versus the Sentry

walternewell

Civilian
Reaction score
Okay, I know that this has probably been discussed numerous times but...

what would happen if DC's Man of Steel and Marvel's Golden Guardian of Good were pitted together in one huge action-packed battle?

I mean consider this, Superman has been around far, far longer than the Sentry, and I acknowledge that Superman has managed to accomplish some seemingly impossible feats, but there are some aspects about the Sentry that seem to indicate that he could very well outmatch Superman in a number of respects. For instance:

- in the first issue of the recent Sentry miniseries, Sentry was able to single-handedly turn back an entire Atlantean invasion force. Later on in the issue, he broke Terrax's cosmic axe in two, which is a pretty impressive trick, considering that the axe was created by Galactus, and he builds his products to last.
- in issue three, the Sentry's dark alter ego, the Void was able to break nearly every bone in the Hulk's body. Since when has anyone ever managed to pull off a stunt like that?
- in the second to last issue of the series, Sentry was able to ward off a mind spell cast on him by Doctor Strange. I find this to be of significance since, aside from Kryptonite, magic can have some adverse effect on old Big Blue. But if the Sentry can break himself out of something put upon him by Earth's Sorcerer Supreme, then it is possible that mystical forces could have very little effect on the man with the power of a million exploding suns...

I might be grasping at straws here, but, what if...?

It'd be a solid fight. On one hand, Superman at present is the most powerful he's been since around 1985 (pre-crisis), but we know from past events (like tearing Carnage in half) that the Sentry doesn't fancy himself a punch-pulling kind of dude. I know the Sentry is a strength 100+ class, but I'm so partial I'd be lying my a** off if I didn't pick Superman for the win. My view is just too skewered. Where the hell is The Question when you need him?

**** that sentry stuff sounds interesting...ima gonna have to start pickin his books up

I'd have to say Supes in the end...Sentry is incredibly powerful, and it would be a helluva fight, but Sentry is half-crazy, and that would probably be his downfall...

btw, am I the only one who thinks they should have kept Sentry with the beard? that look was bad ass :o

I wonder if Sentry will ever evolve into a big mainstream Superhero?

If the sentry wasnt with marvel i'd say he was earths mightest science made mortal. Captain marvels powers stem from magic. Superman is an aliens. The sentrys powers come from pure science.

Thanks for the input on this guys. I really appreciate it.

I was just asking since Sentry is the latest in a line of "Marvelized Supermen," preceded by characters like Count Nefaria, Gladiator and Hyperion, and I was wondering how the Golden Guardian would stack up to the Man of Steel.

Well, I guess out of all the "Marvel wants a Superman too" characters, Sentry is the best. He's insanely powerful, and he doesn't hold back like Supes does. But in the end he's way too unstable to stand up against Big Blue. Superman's at the very least on par with Sentry in terms of raw power, and he has very little patience for the more morally ambiguous superheroes. So I'd put my money on Superman.

Of course, this thread's in one of the DC forums, and I'm sure if you asked the same question in one of the Marvel boards, they'd probably say Sentry. So it really just comes down to personal preference.

Sentry would meet Superman, find out Superman has been around a lot longer than him and be like, "f***... I am such a rip off of this guy" and then kill himself.

Indeed it depends on if you ask a Marvel or DC fan.....lol

Personally, IMO and unbiasly as possible, if they were to truly fight, and not stop halfway after realizing they should talk and not fight anymore (how most hero vs. hero battles happen...oy...)
Realistically (yeh-haha) Sentry would be winning the fight for some time...putting a whipping on Superman, he is more agressive basically, ....both have major power levels tho....but then Superman would eventually win out in a very long tiring, large in scope/destructive battle after realizing he can "open up more" on Sentry and would in fact need to for a victory. Supes has more under his belt and his stability would also help him win.

Does anybody know the issue # in OWAW where it took superman 8 minutes to fly to the sun?

I think supes would win, in everyfight it always seems supes is holding back but when he needs to step up he always has done to me in terms of strenght superman is unlimited. (IMHO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"