• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SHH! Survivor 31: Oscar Night - Opening Ceremony (And the nominees are...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team 4's theme was Controversial Issue (racism, gay rights, etc):

Team 4 said:
I'm not sure if this is late, but I'll send it in just in case.

Sakuraba:
depp2.png

Chewy:
squarei.jpg

Nell:
y2jsurvivorava.jpg

Duke:
cageg.jpg

Me:
brucerp.jpg

Movie Poster:
thestoryposter2bcopy.jpg

Category: Political
Synopsis: A young television news reporter visits the office of a political official after hours. He has invited her here, because he wants to discuss some matters with her. She has connections in the White House who have leaked details to her of members of the President's administration selling weapons to hostile nations, without the knowledge of the President. Given the severity of this information, she decides that she wants to leak this information to the public. It will be her big break to fame.

This official catches wind of it, and wants to discourage her from leaking the story. He states that if the public learns of government officials selling weapons to hostile nations, there will be a panic. In the interest of national security, he wants to keep this story under wraps, so as to keep the population contained.

She feels that he merely wants to protect his own interests, as he is involved with the group of people selling these weapons, though he is not particularly responsible. He rebutts, claiming she only wants to leak the story, not for the good of the nation, but for her own career. He threatens that if she leaks the story, he will expose her sources, and in the process destroy her credibility, as well as make him a public target for those who may want to keep their future secrets quiet. She says that her career depends on leaking this story, and if he wants her to drop the story, he will provide her with another big story from within the White House one that doesn't implicate him if he's so worried about his own well being.

I have decided to use all 4 judges who submitted their ratings. So, there will be 4 judges!

But the one team who won't be scored is Team #4...cause they turned their submission in late! So, they DQed!!!!

Team #1's Scores:

Judge #1

Concepts

Creativity: Extremely well done creatively, I wouldn't be surprised if Hollywood actually pick this up and get someone like Wes Anderson to direct it. 5

Quality: The quality of the story is outstanding and you don't expect anything less by the master writer JewHob. Loving the metaphor. 5

Consistency with theme: Again, you used a great metaphor and at the same time sticking with the theme. 5

Posters

Quality: Very clear and crisp, visually it's awe-inspiring. 5

Creativity: I'm blown away on the style of the poster. Love the inclusion of the credits on the poster. I'm amusing it's a teaser poster with silhouettes and it's very minimal and I love minimalistic posters. 5

Selling the film: This will sell well to the art house crowd immediately. I could see this being posted at a film festival. 5

Players Squares: It bodes well for both Survivor and the theme of this challenge. 5

15+15+5= 35pts

Judge #2

Team 1
(Part 1)
Creativity: 5
Quality: 5
Theme Consistency: 5

(Part 2)
Creativity: 5
Quality: 5
Visual: 5

(Part 3)
Character Squares: 4.5

Overall Total: 34.5

Comments: I really enjoyed this. The story was very well written. The poster was very well done and the character squares had me rolling! It's like Disney met Schlindler's List! I did have to take off a half point in Part 3 because of JewHob's character square. The proportions are a bit off and he looks unnatural. Overall, very very well done. This is how to start off Survivor!

Judge #3

Team 1 - The War Movie.

Premise

Creativity: 5 - I think presenting a war movie in metaphor form was a bold move and I liked it, it didn't lose the power of the message and freshened up the tried and tested routes.

Quality: 3 - I think a less is more approach would have been better, this wasn't a movie outline it was the whole story and if turned into a film it would be a 20 minute short not an Oscar film.

Consistency of theme: 4 - It's a metaphor but a vivid enough one to keep the theme very clear.

Poster

Creativity: 4 - Simple and clean yet stylish.

Quality: 3 - Not a fan of the font or the huge black space at the bottom, but overall the work is of a good standard.

Visual Representation of Film: 3 - It's hard story to represent with a poster so while I wouldn't say it sold it greatly it did the best it could with the material.

------------------------

Player Squares: 5 - Creepy but stylish and ties in nicely to the theme of the movie you are representing at the Oscars.

Total = 27 pts

Judge #4

Team One:

Concept:

Creativity - 3/5! I like the story and thought it was very creative until you pointed out that it is an adaptation. No matter how loosely based, I can’t give full creative marks for an adaptation.

Quality - 5/5! Top notch writing, really well done. The short story is really engaging.

Consistency of Theme- 2/5! Adapted or not, it really isn’t a WWII or holocaust themed film. To give you higher marks would be like giving The Lion King high marks if the director’s job was to make Hamlet. Sorry guys.

Poster:

Creativity - 2.5/5! Entirely average.

Quality - 2.5/5! See the above.

Consistency - 2/5! Same reason as in the synopsis category. It’s just not WWII related.

Player Squares:

Overall - 5/5! Originally I was thinking 3/5….then I saw the other two teams. At least you guys put some effort rather than just using a head shot of a celebrity.

Total Score - 22 out of 35!! Needed some work on the theme to tie it into the actual war/setting that you were assigned, but aside from that, I enjoyed it.

118.5pts for Team #1

Team #2's scores

Judge #1

Concepts

Creativity: It's interesting and simple. I like the casting an 3

Quality: Besides the cast the plot felt very short. There wasn't much else to say. 2

Consistency with theme: It's consistent with the theme but noting that excites me personally. 4

Posters

Quality: There's some sizing and crop issues with the photos of the 3 actors. The fonts used is not really readable and it doesn't blend in with the poster. 2

Creativity: I did like the background and the photo frame, as for the gun I do like it and don't like it. I can see what you are trying to do but it didn't execute correctly. 3

Selling the film:
The poster is too busy for anyone to grab interest. But it does show off what the film is about. 3

Players Squares: Parker Wayne's and Cmill216 are priceless Great job all around. 5

22pts

Judge #2

Team 2
(Part 1)
Creativity: 3
Quality: 4
Theme Consistency: 4

(Part 2)
Creativity: 4
Quality: 3
Visual: 4

(Part 3)
Character Squares: 3

Overall Total: 24

Comments: While I can definitely appreciate all of the effort, something seems to be lacking in this submission. The story is a bit generic. (Although, Hollywood itself has become a bit generic.) The post looks to be as well done as possible given the tools that you likely had to create it. I also thought that the character squares were too random. Overall, it's good but not on the level of Team 1.

Judge #3

Premise

Creativity: 1 - Well the logline is so vague and derivative I can't see how I can rate it any higher.

Quality: 1 - I hate to be harsh but there's not even a full paragraph setting up the movie properly.

Consistency with theme: 3 - Well it's about crime, that much is certain.

Poster

Creativity: 3 - It's a little busy and some characters are too dark but I like the way the characters are incorporated, the blood spill running out the gun with the three heads in it is cool.

Quality: 4 - Other than being a bit crowded it's well made looks pretty real.

Visual Representation of Film: 5 - Despite the lean logline the poster conveys what type of film it is and carries a foreboding quality.

--------------

Player Squares: 2 - I can only see two of these getting in at the Oscars.

19pts

Judge #4

Concept:

Creativity - 1/5! Pretty cliché and you didn’t really go through the effort of fleshing out your plot so there is nothing that really sets it apart from any other of made for TV mob movie synopsis on IMDB.

Quality - 1/5! Not much to judge. Did you guys put any effort into writing it? Why is the contract killer teaming with the cop and the reporter? If you had these details, I’d be intrigued, but you don’t.

Consistency - 5/5! Like I said, it is a cliché mob movie. Therefore it is perfectly consistent with your theme. Full marks!

Poster:

Creativity - 4/5! Very cool poster. It looks like a legit mob movie poster, but it’s not a duplicate of any other, so pretty good job.

Quality - 2.5/5! Top half is great. Bottom half sucks. The font you guys picked for the names and catchphrase are entirely out of place. Plus it is a bit crowded. Therefore you get half of the marks because it is half good.

Consistency - 5/5! It looks like a real mob movie poster. Full marks for the same logic as the other consistency category.

Player Squares:

Overall - 1.5/5! Only reason that I am even giving you the 1.5 instead of 1 is because of Cmill. At least he tried something different. The rest are just avatars of random actors. Lame.

Total Score - Total Score - 20 out of 35!! Could’ve been great if you put any amount of effort into your concept (which had so much potential if only you expanded on it) and player squares.

85pts total Team 2

Team 3's scores:

Concepts

Creativity: It's pretty creative using hypesters in the story. 4

Quality: Quality wise it feels like a TV court drama than a movie version of a court drama. 4

Consistency with theme: It sticks with the theme well it just needed something special to make it over the top. 4

Posters

Quality: It's well done for the most part. It isn't clear and crisp but it's good photoshop. (although my eyes can't move away from the hat that appears to be cut off). 4

Creativity: Pretty decent. I love the credits at the end but I wish it had something going on. 3

Selling the film: It's pretty good but not great. 3

Players Squares: Lookin very sharp guys and gals. 5

27pts

Judge #2

Team 3
(Part 1)
Quality: 4
Theme Consistency: 4

(Part 2)
Quality: 3.5
Visual: 3

(Part 3)
Character Squares: 3

Overall Total: 25.5

Comments: Not even the great Alan Rickman could save a Joel Schumacher film. (Sorry, I just wanted to slam Schumacher. Haha.) In all seriousness, I did enjoy this. It's not quite up to Team 1's submission, but it's still good.

Judge #3

Premise

Creativity: 5 - I love the way you use a bit of Hype drama and mould it into a civil rights biopic, heh!

Quality: 5 - Well laid out plot that gives enough to make me interested without giving the whole film away.

Consistency with theme: 3 - Given you are creating your own biopic I'd say you are blurring around your theme a little.

Poster

Creativity: 2 - It's very basic poster, standard for a lawyer movie.

Quality: 3 - Love the background and font integration, hate the way the characters are just all stuffed in.

Visual Representation of Film: 2 - Well it's clear it's a lawyer film but not what kind or that it's a boipic.

--------------------

Player Squares: 2 - Only two look dressed for an awards ceremony, the other 2 are just stills from a toon and a film.

22pts

Judge #4

Team Three:

Concept:

Creativity - 5/5! Hahaha very cute and creative!

Quality - 5/5 Same. Really well put together. It made me laugh. It was intriguing, great job!

Consistency - 1/5 And this is where you lose me. It is a court room thriller, not a biopic. Just throwing some real names in there doesn’t make it a biopic. Sorry, just not really consistent at all with the assignment, IMO.

Poster:

Creativity - 2/5! Not very creative.

Quality - 2/5! Not very well designed.

Consistency - 1/5! It looks like the poster of a court room thriller, not a biopic.

Player Squares:

Overall - 1/5! Like the above team, they are pictures of some actors.

Total Score - 17 out of 35!! I really liked your concept, but it just wasn’t consistent with the theme and the poster and squares are REALLY uninspired. This is a real missed opportunity, IMO. Despite having the best theme (of the teams that submitted), you got the lowest scores because you didn't stick to the theme. You made a really funny court room concept....which would've been great if your theme was a John Grisham novel. I would've loved to see what you guys would've done with a bio-pic.

91.5pts total Team 3

I love my player square...how dare these judges diss Emo Dorff. Good day!

Team #1 wins! Congrats to Team #1!!!

Teams 2,3, and 4...Survivor council for you awaits!

Three tribal councils on day one!?!?!

Consistency - 1/5 And this is where you lose me. It is a court room thriller, not a biopic. Just throwing some real names in there doesn’t make it a biopic. Sorry, just not really consistent at all with the assignment, IMO.

The Hurricane, Conviction, JFK.

All three of those are movies with biographical elements as well as many scenes and set pieces set in courtrooms. There are many different types of biopics. Stated that when I submitted for my team.

this was probably the first, and last movie poster i will ever create haha

i'm just glad we didn't get straight ones for the poster

PMs sent out...you have 24 hours to vote!!!

Gah, please no more arts! :csad:

I think all criticism we received was deserved. :up: It was a fun challenge! Can't wait to see what the next ones are like.

haha i didn't realize we were going to be graded on our grid pics. i just thought it was a straight easy 5 points for submitting them

haha i didn't realize we were going to be graded on our grid pics. i just thought it was a straight easy 5 points for submitting them

:yay: what do u think of my emo dorff pic from Fear Dot Com? :awesome:

:csad: I sadly own that movie...at least it was ultra cheap.

Congrats to Team One. :up:

In response to our (Team 2's) submission, I think this is a case of taking the challenge instructions at face value. We were told to create a "basic premise" for an Oscar-type movie, and we felt like that's exactly what we did. We wrote a logline, gave it an actual Oscar-type cast, and created a poster that fit the premise.

I guess we probably should've asked SF to better define the expectations. Either way, good work from all the teams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"