Should Aquaman have taken place elsewhere?

They have magical shields and bows, which I'm surprised how little of them we see.
In the comics maybe? I don't (specifically) recall seeing any of them in any of the films. They certainly weren't in play when those Germans stormed their beach.

In the comics maybe? I don't (specifically) recall seeing any of them in any of the films. They certainly weren't in play when those Germans stormed their beach.
Justice League.

Yeah, if they use magical weapons, they have advantage, which is why Amazons don't need modern weaponry.

I'll have to rewatch it sometime. I don't seem to recall their weapons being powered.
In JL, only Queen Hippolitya has the magical Bow of Artemis, which she uses to fire a warning Arrow (from Themyscira) to light the ancient flame at the Temple of Athena, Greece. Other magical weapons are shown in flashback scenes, where Greek gods use it in fight against Steppenwolf. I think Amazons posses those weapons but rarely use them.

They didn't have an advantage against the Nazi's.
Amazons used regular weapons against Nazi's as they saw attackers as regular Men invading their Island, plus they might not have expected firearms as they were not familiar with those.

But we can make valid based assumptions. A Justice League sequel isn't very likely to involve or include the Atlantian army in much fashion, if any, just as it's not very likely to include the other armies of the world. I didn't see the Russians rushing with their military might to take on Steppenwolf and his minions when he'd started to reform that Russian village; there wasn't even a single Mig in sight.

I don't think we can make the assumption that we won't see it, or make any calls as to how likely it is.

For instance, JUSTICE LEAGUE involved part of the Amazon army, previously seen in WONDER WOMAN. We also already saw part of the Atlantean army/honor guard in that film and we know that there were scenes cut that involved more of them.

I don't think, based on the popularity of the visuals that are associated with the Atlantean army in AQUAMAN, and the popularity of the Wakandan army in two Avengers franchise films, that we can rule out seeing the Atlantean army used in a future JL film, especially if the Amazons can't leave Themyscira or the Green Lantern Corps hasn't been utilized broadly. Even if they're nothing but cannon fodder.

The Atlanteans likely wouldn't likely save the day, but I don't think we can assume we won't see them. Johns, who is still involved in Aquaman and DC's development, has brought them into stories several times, and understands their potential importance.

As far as the Russian threat goes, JUSTICE LEAGUE makes it pretty clear that Steppenwolf was essentially mounting a sneak attack, and that the Russian village that was attacked was basically remote enough that no one knew or cared about it. I think that's a fairly legit excuse as far as cinema goes. The actual threat unfolded rather rapidly.

In JL, only Queen Hippolitya has the magical Bow of Artemis, which she uses to fire a warning Arrow (from Themyscira) to light the ancient flame at the Temple of Athena, Greece. Other magical weapons are shown in flashback scenes, where Greek gods use it in fight against Steppenwolf. I think Amazons posses those weapons but rarely use them.
Is it possible then that the magical weapons disappeared alongside the Gods? That, or they're very limited; Diana took a shield and those bracelets alongside the lasso.

Amazons used regular weapons against Nazi's as they saw attackers as regular Men invading their Island, plus they might not have expected firearms as they were not familiar with those.
That at least makes some semblance of sense.

I don't think, based on the popularity of the visuals that are associated with the Atlantean army in AQUAMAN, and the popularity of the Wakandan army in two Avengers franchise films, that we can rule out seeing the Atlantean army used in a future JL film, especially if the Amazons can't leave Themyscira or the Green Lantern Corps hasn't been utilized broadly. Even if they're nothing but cannon fodder.

The Atlanteans likely wouldn't likely save the day, but I don't think we can assume we won't see them. Johns, who is still involved in Aquaman and DC's development, has brought them into stories several times, and understands their potential importance.
I suppose we will see them, but I'm just struggling (I guess) to witness Arthur teaming up with the other JL members rather than leading his army.

As far as the Russian threat goes, JUSTICE LEAGUE makes it pretty clear that Steppenwolf was essentially mounting a sneak attack, and that the Russian village that was attacked was basically remote enough that no one knew or cared about it. I think that's a fairly legit excuse as far as cinema goes. The actual threat unfolded rather rapidly.
Valid point here.

Is it possible then that the magical weapons disappeared alongside the Gods? That, or they're very limited; Diana took a shield and those bracelets alongside the lasso.
I think Amazons are not supposed to use weapons of gods, as they must consider them as sacred unless there's sufficient justification to do so. Queen Hippolyta must have kept those weapons at some secret location. It's possible that only few Amazons are aware of their existence.

As we saw in the movie their everyday life on Themyscria is fairly mundane, they don't use anything magical in their day to day life, in fact I was bit surprised how much grounded Themyscira seemed.

As we saw in the movie their everyday life on Themyscria is fairly mundane, they don't use anything magical in their day to day life, in fact I was bit surprised how much grounded Themyscira seemed.
What's not magical about an island of women who like women? :p

I watched Aquaman yesterday, thought it was a solid film hopefully one that'll push the DCEU upwards, though I'll save an actual review for another thread.

Now, obviously Aquaman and the comics that predate this film are set on Earth, deep within the ocean, but I can't help but wonder whether the whole feature would have made more sense had it taken place on another planet (maybe one in the Pegasus Galaxy?) :p

In all serious though, Aquaman had the scale and scope of both Thor: Ragnarök and Black Panther for me, but I can't quite get my head around the concept that there's this entire ecosystem by sentient beings living underwater, and not once have they been involved in surface conflicts.

Man of Steel had Zod and his Kryptonian army attempt to terraform the planet. This would surely have wiped out the entire aquatic cultures, they were never once seen. Wonder Woman had Ares who wanted to turn the world into a battlefield - again one that would have likely destroyed elements of the underwater culture. Surely these Atlantians have the capability to keep tabs on surface events?

Then we've got Steppenwolf and his Parademons, who after attacking the ocean dwellers, were left to (again) terraform the world and only a single (half) Atlantian showed up to stop him. I just think, had this film and the whole Atlantis concept been on a different planet, there'd be less question that we could ask. These ocean dwellers obviously have a vast array of weaponry, and yet they don't use it when they're under threat?

Come the next invasion (be that Darksied or someone else) when Arthur comes to the surface to help Bruce, Clark, Diana and co, are the rest of his people just going to stay at the bottom of the ocean with their military might and do nothing?
That was explained in Orm's first scene. In order for the Atlanteans to use the military on the surface, they need an allegiance of at least four out of the seven kingdoms. Because there are only 4 kingdoms left that are active, Orm basically spends the movie trying to get the three other kingdoms on his side. He was easily able to get Nereus and the Xebel Kingdom, for the Fisherman Kingdom he killed King Ricou and used his daughter to get the Fisherman Kingdom on his side, he knew the Brine Kingdom wouldn't willingly side with him so he straight up started a battle with them that Aquaman had interrupted with the Karathen.

I'll have to rewatch it sometime. I don't seem to recall their weapons being powered.
I think he's referring to this scene and I'm pretty sure that was one of the Greek Gods and not an Amazonian.
giphy.gif

That was explained in Orm's first scene. In order for the Atlanteans to use the military on the surface, they need an allegiance of at least four out of the seven kingdoms. Because there are only 4 kingdoms left that are active, Orm basically spends the movie trying to get the three other kingdoms on his side. He was easily able to get Nereus and the Xebel Kingdom, for the Fisherman Kingdom he killed King Ricou and used his daughter to get the Fisherman Kingdom on his side, he knew the Brine Kingdom wouldn't willingly side with him so he straight up started a battle with them that Aquaman had interrupted with the Karathen.
Would said vote be specifically for military use, or for invasion purposes? What about defences?

I think he's referring to this scene and I'm pretty sure that was one of the Greek Gods and not an Amazonian.
giphy.gif
To be fair, could be either. The only Gods that are credited are Zeus, Ares and Artemis (who typically wields a bow and arrow) so it could certainly be her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"