Should Captain America be acted by an American actor

chiefchirpa

Haaa-rooooooo
Reaction score
My opinion on this: Captain America should be played by an American actor.

The name is Captain-America, he represents American value more clearly than Superman. Some of you will say “well what actors do is acting”. Oh yeah, tell that the James Bond franchise – why can’t an American actor be a James Bond? James Bond doesn’t spell like James “Captain Britain” Bond, while Captain America is Captain America.

Tell you what, I rather see a black all-American Steve Rogers (perhaps a film on Patriot), than an Australian Steve Rogers. If there's an exhaustive search on the American actors and proficient candidate is not found, then Marvel can go for the foreign actors. But before that, an American should be searched for Cap.

To sum up, check first:
Matt Damon
Brad Pitt
Mark Valley <-- New Yorker, like Cap
Aaron Eckhart

Then:
Clive Owen
Gerald Butler
Sean Bean
Hugh Grant

Both Jason Lewis and Mark Valley are Americans, so yeah, he should. :yay:

He has the look, but he's 43 years old.

I think Captain America should be played by around a 25 - 28 year old, with a good look, and probably an unknown, like Brandon Routh was.

I'd go upto 35 for Cap...but no higher.

25-34 is my prefered range for Cap.

Captain America should be played by the best actor for the job.

The only thing about a foreigh actor getting the job... he needs to pull a Hugh Laurie and have the most American accents around that would make people's heads explode if you just went... "Oh yeah, that guy playing Cap... British."

It's a non-issue. It doesn't matter what nationality the actor is, all that matters is what nationality the CHARACTER is. Even if a foreign actor landed the role of Captain America, the character himself would still be American. I find people's xenophobia regarding some characters absolutely ridiculous. The idea that people would pass one the best man for the job, and take a lesser actor simply because of the country he was born in is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

It's even dumber when you realize that no one holds these standards to other aspects of the characters. Take James Bond for instance: If an American were to get the role of the character, regardless of the fact that Bond will STILL be British, people would kick up a storm. Why then, does know one care that the actor himself isn't a "real" spy?

I'll tell you why because that would be absolutely STUPID, everyone knows that even though the actor himself isn't a secret agent, the Bond character is, so it doesn't matter. The same should be said about the nationality of the actor, but unfortunately people have a double standard when it comes to that.

My guess is that they will pick the best actor to them,
most likely an unknown.
and if they happen to be Canadian or British no one is really going to think about that.
Sort of like with Wolverine in X-Men.

But for a known actor:
Aaron Eckhart (american). He has the look.
Clive Owen (foreign)

I say someone, whoever it is, with their type of look and body type, and must be a great actor.

It's a non-issue. It doesn't matter what nationality the actor is, all that matters is what nationality the CHARACTER is. Even if a foreign actor landed the role of Captain America, the character himself would still be American. I find people's xenophobia regarding some characters absolutely ridiculous. The idea that people would pass one the best man for the job, and take a lesser actor simply because of the country he was born in is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

It's even dumber when you realize that no one holds these standards to other aspects of the characters. Take James Bond for instance: If an American were to get the role of the character, regardless of the fact that Bond will STILL be British, people would kick up a storm. Why then, does know one care that the actor himself isn't a "real" spy?

I'll tell you why because that would be absolutely STUPID, everyone knows that even though the actor himself isn't a secret agent, the Bond character is, so it doesn't matter. The same should be said about the nationality of the actor, but unfortunately people have a double standard when it comes to that.

Well said. :up:

It matters to some people. Call it Xenophobic or anything, but there are people who takes issue if James Bond is a French or Captain America is a British (BTW, I am not an American). That would create dissension among fans and at the end there won't be a high acceptance for the movie.

Then I would take an issue of the notion that limiting the search for American actors would result to no good actors. What? Don't you in some way underestimate the acting ability of American actors? There are plenty of good American actors fit the physical description of Steve Rogers, can do NY accent, and can act! MGM doesn't just leave England and start searching for American talent for James Bond. For Captain America, it's more than just Quid Pro Quo because he's an iconic, era-defining hero. Marvel should try at least first seek an actor that knows how it feels to be an American in the 1930's-40's and what's best if that actor has inherited those imageries from his grandpa/grandma story. Again, if all fails in searching good US actor, then the shop's open for Hugh Grant.

For Captain America yes

However a british guy played Batman and he was better than any of the americans

Yes, Chris Bale shows good acting since Empire of the Sun. Batman doesn't require the actor to be American. Even a British is ok for Superman - yet DC Comics picked unknown Midwestern Brandon Routh who did a good job instead of initial fanforum favorite Jude Law or Henry Cavill.

hmm.. interesting.. well, I guess we'll see-- depends on who the producer & director is..

Because you cast an actor to play a role who is as close as possible to the character in question. James Bond is a British spy. You can't cast an actual spy, but you can cast someone British.

if a foriegn actor can portray cap as american give hi a fair chance

Captain America should be played by the best actor for the job.
couldn't have said it better myself...

although i would say it would help sell the film if they got a modern day american poster boy in the lead role...

however, i don't think it is important.

Cap should be am American.

Would you guys want an American actor with a british accent playing Bond? Same thing here. Cap should be played by an American.

why are, so, many people assuming that a foriegn actor would be best for the role

yes, you go with who ever is the best, but, who's to say the best actor for the job wont be an American?

and on the 007 agurment, only half of the bond actors were actually British

why are, so, many people assuming that a foriegn actor would be best for the role

yes, you go with who ever is the best, but, who's to say the best actor for the job wont be an American?

and on the 007 agurment, only half of the bond actors were actually British

Where the other half from territories similar to Britain or affiliated with Britain? That would make them close enough to me...only really Canada could give that same effect.

just saying
Connery's Scottish
George Lazenby's from Australia
Pierce Brosnan's from Ireland
all parts of the UK, yes, but, not all from England, though, consider under the British Empire, i guess

just saying
Connery's Scottish
George Lazenby's from Australia
Pierce Brosnan's from Ireland
all parts of the UK, yes, but, not all from England, though, consider under the British Empire, i guess

I say British Empire counts toward being British.

Scotland is a part of UK. MI6 is an intelligence agency for the UK, not just England. ANZ people are more less bred under the British Commonwealth culture.

Of all the James Bond actors who have less exposure to British acting school is George Lazenby. We know how his career as James Bond fared.

sure, but, technically, Jamaica is under the British Empire too, so, could a Jamaican actor play James Bond, i think not LOL

LOL...just like I don't want a Puerto Rican playing Cap (though it is an American territory).

Still, they chose actors from the territories who were close enough to being British.

Cap should definitely be played by an American, and if they can't get a "name" then cast an American unknown. Getting a foreign actor should be the last option.

Especially because there are Americans who fit Cap's physical profile and can act. It's not like Cap has some strange physical characteristics. He's tall, athletic, blond haired, blue eyed.

I don't really care if Cap doesn't get portrayed by an American or not. Preferably I would rather go for an American anyway.

It would be interesting to see whether our actor would undergo different physiques though. I mean before he takes Super Soldier serum he will need to be scrawny not like Christian Bale Machinist like but something like DJ Qualls but not as bad as him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"