Should Darth Vader be brought back?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' started by Silvermoth, Jan 26, 2013.

?

Should Darth Vader come back?

1. Yes as a ghost

2. Yes as the one and only Darth Vader

3. No, his time is done

4. I don't know, unsure

5. Only as a flashback

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Silvermoth Krakoan native

For me there's no Star Wars without Darth Vader. Of course, it's tricky to bring him back now he's a redeemed ghost but this is sci fi, I'm sure they can think of something.

2. DCW Registered

I've read so many Star Wars books without Vader that still had great characters and story's, I think it's time to let Vader rest. His story arc ended with Return of the Jedi.

3. ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

I'd rather there be no Vader than Vader shoehorned into the story. And I'd rather there be no Vader than Haydn Christensen showing up as a force Ghost.

4. flickchick85 Admin of Might

No Vader. His body and The Voice are gone, and as a ghost, he'd be Hayden Christensen, which...no thanks. The character's done.

At most, I'd be cool with a cameo via some holographic archive from the fallen Empire or something, but that's it.

5. OptimusPrime114 Registered

No. Force ghost, yes. Full body, no.

6. dude stannis Registered

[YT]WWaLxFIVX1s[/YT]

7. Soapy Registered

/thread

8. Spider-Who? ERMERGERD!

It depends on what the story is. If we have an older Jedi Master Luke, then it'd be a little more organic to have Vader in some capacity - ie: the Luke is having an emotional struggle with the pressure of reforming the Jedi Order, which is related in some way to the overall new threat/enemy of the new trilogy. Whenever Luke mediates, he's haunted by visions/memories of Vader - quick and haunting visions of Vader destroying Jedi/hearing the ominous sounds of his breathing...

Yes, Vader may be dead and "redeemed" but that doesn't negate what he did and the emotional toil he had on the galaxy, Luke, especially. I could see it coming back to haunt him in this trilogy. But that's the only way I'd really think it'd be appropriate for Vader to "return".

9. jacobed Registered

No, he's dead. Also somewhat on the subject no force ghosts.

10. dude stannis Registered

I think there's an interesting story to be told if it's revealed that saviour Luke Skywalker is actually the son of the SW universe's equivalent of Adolph Hitler.

But to bring him back as a full fledged character is ridiculous.

11. Sawyer High King

Move forward. It's the only way. Let Abrams work his magic and bring us some really awesome new ****.

12. BATZARRO WWD Campeador Boricua

I think there's various ways in which Vader could come back, but I'd rather he stay dead. I don't want Star Wars to stay swamped in it's old characters, settings, etc. Vader was the main villain for 3 whole movies and part of 1. That's quite enough. Sure it's economically convenient to bring him back. Vader sells. But dramatically, what made Vader good when alive would be gone. He essentially repented his ways in the last movie, and if he just came back and was like "actually, screw that junk! I LOVE THE DARKSIDE!" it would be extremely contrived.

Sure, we can make up sci fi reasons for him coming back day in and day out, but since the movie will follow new characters, I don't see what the need is for them fighting a guy who a) is dead b)repented c) has no support unless you bring back the Empire or have him ally with the new baddies d) whose dead is part of a prophesy. I could maybe see him in flashbacks/hallucination to older characters at most maybe as a symbol of the dark side itself. Hell, show the suit in a museum, since it didn't seem damaged by the pyre fire it was in.. Just not Vader as a character.

13. 747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I would love a force ghost cameo from Hayden.

14. DyeLorean will return

As much as I like the character, I think 'erasing' what happened by some bad plot twist would be a mistake.
    It'll be cool to see him in some hologram like someone said above.

15. TheDreamMaster The Night He Came Home...

I can't really add anything to what has been said. As Vader, no. I don't want a clone, some weird retcon, or something like Darth Plagueis (assuming they ignore the novel) being secretly alive and bringing him back with his life manipulation ability.

As for a ghost, if it is done well, I wouldn't mind a Force ghost scene. I see no reason why Luke couldn't recieve instruction from his father and fomer mentors onc ein a while. It sor tof makes sense, since it isn't like every Jedi will show themselves. Its established Qui-gon (Neeson would be an interesting cameo), Obi-wan, and Yoda, and then somehow they either brought Vader into ghost form, or his status as the Chosen One had something to do with it. Point is, I'm not adverse to a Hayden cameo, but I don't want Vader back, running around.

16. NiteMare Shape Livin' like a Sheen

That right there.

17. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Let Vader RIP. Now, a new cyborg villain character with a few shades of Vader? If they pulled it off and made sure the character wasn't just a cheap imitation aesthetically or character-wise, I'd be open to it.

The only possible way I could imagine it would be if one of the Skywalker kids re-nters the cave on Dagobah. But even that could feel repetitive and shoe-horned. I think they need to be disciplined here and keep Vader out of it. They can make mentions to him obviously, but Anakin/Vader's story is over. Don't insult the audience's intelligence.

18. markaudette Is Not a Unique Snowflake

Darth Vader is dead. And will always be dead.

However, Anakin Skywalker was redeemed and remains in spirit form in the light side of the force. There is no going back.

19. Octoberist point blank

No to the return of Darth Vader.

20. Grievous General of the Droid Army

Wouldn't mind a flashback, nothing more though.

21. AnneFan Hathaway #1

My thoughts as well.

22. Raiden Wakanda Forever

That would be almost as bad as a Jar Jar Binks cameo. :dry:

23. Mace Bloodstone Registered

It's time for a new badass bad guy.

24. Galactus123 Registered

As a ghost. Luke could talk to him when he meditates and ask advice. Obi-Wan could also appear as ghost.

25. RetrogradeOrbit Do I look like I'm joking?

I voted for a flashback, but only if Dave Prowse is in the suit and James Earl Jones does the voice...

Otherwise, I'm not interested.