Should Dc change the tone of their movies?

The only way I think a lighter tone would work is if its not forced (i.e. Batman & Robin, Green Lantern) and hamfisted courtesy of executive meddling. That and also the benefit of having more directors outside of Snyder who can master the material with writers who won't cram everything into one film (I'm looking at you, Berlanti and Guggenheim!), add something that doesn't fit the characters (Hello, Jonah Hex) and above all not to be afraid to embrace the said source material's tone.

I think DC fits more with the retro style of doing things, similar to Rocketeer, Shadow and Sky Captain.

Nope. I prefer grounded and realistic with villains that cause serious damage and raise the stakes. When Superman fought Zod towards the end of man of steel, you really felt the world was at stake. Beautiful.

:huh:No one voting for MCU film tone.With all the whining I hear about DC being too serious Im suprised

Thanks.

That's probably because the MCU doesn't have one tone for all their movies; they basically use whichever tone is most suitable to whichever comic book character they're adapting: that's why as I mentioned earlier GOTG and TWS have polar opposite tones.

Therefore, poll option 2 would be most accurate as "Action comedy" and poll option 4 would be most accurate as "Different tones for different heroes like MCU films." Just because Marvel doesn't forget to make their films fun (TDK trilogy was also fun) doesn't automatically make every one of them an action comedy.

The tone of the Nolan films was perfect for Batman but it wouldn't be suitable for every other comic book character in existence.

Last edited:
I think the next Superman should maintain a similar tone, but there needs to be more uplifting character moments for Superman, they need to make his personality more like Reeve's

Green Lantern should be a space epic, far more serious than Guardians of the Galaxy, but it shouldn't be devoid of humor.

Shazam can't be close to the MOS tone, but it can still exist in that universe

Wonder Woman needs to embrace Greek mythology completely, it needs to be straight fantasy. More fantasy than Thor.

Aquaman once again should be straight fantasy, similar in tone to Wonder Woman, it'd be smart to tie these two characters together, because they both have ties to Greek mythology

The Flash should be the most like a Marvel character.

I'm not too familiar with The Flash I'm afraid. Which Marvel character would you say he's the most similiar to?

Last edited:
I think DC fits more with the retro style of doing things, similar to Rocketeer, Shadow and Sky Captain.

Hey! That would be fantastic! For Gotham and Metropolis especially.

I'm not too familiar with The Flash I'm afraid. Which Marvel character would you say he's the most similiar to?
Probably Spider-Man, but they're not that similar. but i'd approach a flash movie with a Raimi Spidey tone

Probably Spider-Man, but they're not that similar. but i'd approach a flash movie with a Raimi Spidey tone

Cool! How would how describe Flash's humor? Do you think based on the previews that the CW show is the right tone for the character and a good portrayal of him?

no no no.
whats why i still watch DC movies.i am big marvel fan and batman fan. i. dont want DC movies tone like Marvel. because its marvel. DC follow another thing and its fine.I always saw DC more serious while Marvel was chessy.And its fine.

not every movie needs stupid humor or something like that.
Dark Knight Trilogy still better than all coming book movies. thats because of Nolan Style.
MoS problem was it was a origin story and plot wasnt so good. it wasnt about movie itself.People didnt like Batman Begins until Dark Knight come out.its true as that.

Cool! How would how describe Flash's humor? Do you think based on the previews that the CW show is the right tone for the character and a good portrayal of him?
the cw show seems like the right tone, i havent seen it yet though

yeah Flash's humor in JL TAS is a little bit extreme, a good example of Flash's sense of humor would be in JL War. Barry and Hal bounce off each other for comedic effect.

Flash should be an average guy, slightly awkward, some humor can come out of that

I think x-men days of future past and first class did a good job balancing the lighter and. Darker aspects of comic book films.

I do like the big epic feel of the dark knight trilogy and man of steel though.

The tone of a movie is usually set by the director.

Nolan is comfortable directing gritty, thought provoking movies. His movie portrayed that tone.

Snyder likes his characters heavily stylized. His movie portrayed that tone.

Neither Nolan or Snyder are known for comedic reasons. Movies portrayed that too.

Joss Whedon, James Gunn, Shane Black. All known for a certain style and their respective movies reflected that style and tone. Just so happens each of those guys are great at comedic scenes in some form or other.

The only guys that surprised me were the Russo's... that was waaaaay left field.

So the tone of DC movies will change when they began hiring new directors.

I think some people don't actually know the difference between tone and style...

Anyway the answer to the OP is... no.

They shouldn't make a wholesale change to the tone of their films. But the tone should be dependent on the character. For example if they make a Flash movie with the same tone as a Batman movie... errrr... no. That's stupid.

Absolutely not, I am loving DC's tonal direction. It's working very well for them and not just in the movies but their tv shows too. Arrow's darker, more grounded take made a character that I always saw as silly and ridiculous into now one of my favorite comic book characters. I really hope the comics continue to take the v show's cue and use that version of Oliver Queen, it's done wonders for them. And their other upcoming tv shows look amazing. I absolutely believe that their live action properties are headed in the right tonal direction.

"Different Tones for different heroes"

That's just a given one. Aquaman can't be anything like GL or Flash.
But unfortunately, Snyder seems to be involved in everything and all the heroes will be similar because of that.

I think x-men days of future past and first class did a good job balancing the lighter and. Darker aspects of comic book films.

I do like the big epic feel of the dark knight trilogy and man of steel though.

perfect comparison

the last few X-Men movies (The Wolverine, Days of Future Past, & First Class) had a great balance of light/comedic moments and darker/serious tones

this is something the DC movies should go for but obviously there are heroes like the Flash, Shazam, etc. that are lighter in tone than say Batman

the key here for DC is the execution

people complain about Superman being too serious and what not in Man of Steel but i thought it was great. with Batman being in the sequel, i am sure Superman will be treated a little more lightly to counter balance Batman

I disagree that TWS was dark and serious.It was the same tone with the Ironman movie and every movie after.

They should just have a tone by tone basis depending on the character

/Thread.

What works for Batman doesn't work for Booster Gold. Every character is different. Even Marvel Studios is starting to embrace that a bit (compare Winter Soldier to Guardians of the Galaxy.)

Yes.

Superman should be the bright and happy one. Batman can be the angry crybaby.

Different tones for different heroes, under all circumstances. I am perfectly fine with criticizing Man of Steel for screwing up tone (and by extension the movie for me), but that's only one movie. Considering Dark Knight trilogy was on point tonally, and Green Lantern was tonally in the ballpark, there's definitely nothing to worry about yet.

The DC Animation works pretty well, WB should just go with those kind of tones.

They absolutely should.
First things first, outside of the TDKT none of their superhero movies in the past have been "dark and gritty". Look at the early Superman and Batman films, look at Steel, Jonah Hex, Green Lantern, Cat Woman, Superman Returns, etc. I despise the notion that DC makes "mature, realistic" movies because it is simply not true; Nolan makes those kind of movies, and he happened to direct the most successful DC property in the past twenty years because it fit that particular character.
Now, that brings us to Man of Steel. That film was clearly trying to look like it was cut from the same cloth as Nolan's trilogy. They obviously wanted to take the same approach that had been successful in the past and apply it to their most recent effort, and in my opinion, the film suffered for it.
Superman is not a dour, humorless character. It was a giant mistake right out of the gate to try and make him fit in the same mold as Batman because as Cyclyopswasright stated, the character should decide the tone of the movies. I'm not saying that a dark Superman movie can't work at all, but I am saying that tone is not particularly suited to that character and his mythos and there are many more appropriate routes to take.
DC is apparently making the default aesthetic of the movie "dark" or whatever (I honestly hate that word, it's so overused) which, in my opinion, just shows how myopic and misguided they are in their approach. "It worked once, so let's try it again and again!"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"