Would give you up TDK trilogy for a successful DCEU?

Nope. They can’t get it right when they have an actively evolving blueprint in front of them, so God knows what nonsense they’d have tried to get away with in 2008.

EDIT:

That’s debatable but this isn’t supposed to be a MCU vs DC debate.

Just curious for those who would keep the TDK trilogy, would you consider yourselves DC comics fans or just film fans or even just Batman fans?

I consider myself a Superman fan, then a Batman fan, then a general DC fan. If the OP had asked if I’d rather have a successful Superman trilogy in place of a Batman one, well...that’d be much harder for me to answer.

Absolutely not. They're fantastic films, and the benchmark against which I measure any other superhero movie (at some point it always comes down to 'How good is it compared with TDK?'). I'm a huge Batman/DC fan. I've been reading the comics for more years than I'm going to admit to, and TDKT finally gave me the big screen Batman that I'd been hoping to see for nearly all those years. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Absolutely not. They're fantastic films, and the benchmark against which I measure any other superhero movie (at some point it always comes down to 'How good is it compared with TDK?'). I'm a huge Batman/DC fan. I've been reading the comics for more years than I'm going to admit to, and TDKT finally gave me the big screen Batman that I'd been hoping to see for nearly all those years. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Yeah. I had a break from TDK for a few months and then watched it last weekend. IMO It's still the Godfather of cbms, and despite it not having the flashy effects of Infinity War, it has aged well and only Logan comes close to it as a drama.

To me TDK is also the definitive Batman movie (TDKR not so much).

I don't care how awful B v S , SS and JL were, none of that diminshes TDK.

Would I swap TDK for a successful DCEU ? My gut reaction is no, it's like a precious diamond in a field of coal - to valuable to let go of.

No - because Batman means way more to me than any other DC hero.

This question isn't very well defined. What's "better"? And if we're painting scenarios in broad strokes, shouldn't we presume an idealized version of the proposed alternative reality?

The "best" DCEU that could exist would have more Batman films akin to TDK, with the added benefit of having a long lifespan. It's the best of all worlds. In which case, it doesn't make sense to pick the option which is finite and isolated from its peers.

The hype for BB, TDK, and TDKR will never be replicated. I was a kid when those movies were coming out, and the feeling of it was so magical. I probably wouldn't trade them.

BvS had all the potential to be a TDKT level movie. I still think they ****ed up by not getting Bale to come back for that one.

BvS had all the potential to be a TDKT level movie. I still think they ****ed up by not getting Bale to come back for that one.

Pretty sure Bale would have taken one look at that script... and run for the bloody hills.

Pretty sure Bale would have taken one look at that script... and run for the bloody hills.
It feels like the script was written after the principal photography not only for SS and JL, but for BvS too.

Yes, if only I could somehow keep TDK and give up the other two.

Nope. The quality of TDKT far surpasses practically every other superhero film ever made.
Yeah pretty much it in a nutshell. Still the bar for me. The TDK trilogy holds a special place in my heart that I'll never stop revisiting.

Most of the genre entries since, from the great to the good to the bad, are a one and done job for me. Can't sit through any of them twice. Compare that just a couple of weeks where I sat through a back to back viewing of BB and TDK and I was gripped.

The hype for BB, TDK, and TDKR will never be replicated. I was a kid when those movies were coming out, and the feeling of it was so magical. I probably wouldn't trade them.

BvS should have been called World's Finest... I'm still bitter about the dumbass name.

Would TDKR have been better if they hadn't tried to link Bane to the League?

I had more problems than that with it. I think it needed some heavy retooling.

What would you recommend? I think they just needed to cut some fat off the story to make it work better. The League connection would help, but I know the Lazarus Pit would be gone... Plus I know Selina felt underutilized.

Would TDKR have been better if they hadn't tried to link Bane to the League?
I'd have introduced the Talia plot twist earlier in the film - probably around the time that Bane sets off the explosives islanding Gotham City. I'd develop the relationship between Talia and Bane throughout the rest of the movie. Perhaps introduce a bit of a power struggle between them. Talia thinks the task of destroying Gotham is her birthright (the heir to Ra's al Ghul's legacy), whereas Bane is out to prove something (having been exiled by Ra's). The fact that Bane and Talia's relationship was revealed last minute, only for Bane to die unceremoniously right after that, is a major point of contention for me.

The gist of the plot could remain in tact, but revising a few things would have helped. The entire Clean Slate program needed to go (the endgame wasn't worth the setup), the whole thing with the Fusion Reactor could have been greatly simplified (just have Bane/Talia get their hands on a run-of-the-mill nuclear warhead). Maybe actually have Robin Blake active as Batman while Bruce is recovering so that we have that Knightfall influence in there.

There is a better movie in there. The movie we got was simply bogged down by subplots and plot devices that only served to muddle things.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure. The premise of that movie was inherently flawed, at least with its placement as the second movie in a larger series.

I'd have introduced the Talia plot twist earlier in the film - probably around the time that Bane sets off the explosives islanding Gotham City. I'd develop the relationship between Talia and Bane throughout the rest of the movie. Perhaps introduce a bit of a power struggle between them. Talia thinks the task of destroying Gotham is her birthright (the heir to Ra's al Ghul's legacy), whereas Bane is out to prove something (having been exiled by Ra's).

The fact that Bane and Talia's relationship was revealed last minute, only for Bane die unceremoniously right after that, is a major point of contention for me.

Boom beat me to my biggest change. Talia's reveal comes way too late. She basically is revealed and dies. She never commands the on-screen respect Bane did. This was the choice that broke the camel's back for me.

Also, I would have removed the bomb plot entirely. The faux revolution was interesting, but eventually the bomb chase just tested my suspension of disbelief and led to a chase that felt too much like BB for me. I would have found another way for that revolution to occur without that stupid bomb. This also would have restructured the climax to feel less derivative. I would have heavily restructured John Blake, also. He honestly adds little to the film and the ending is unearned. All he did in the finale was yell at some soldiers from across a bridge. That's it. I would have given him more to do.

I expect that the bomb threat was implemented because of Bane's connection to the League. Ra's was all about destroying Gotham, so it makes sense that Bane and Talia would follow suit.

Having said that, I'd have personally done without it. Bane cutting Gotham off from the rest of the world and turning it into a city-state under his rule would have been interesting enough. They could have taken a page out of Metal Gear's book and had Bane detonate a nuclear warhead at high altitude, causing an EMP that takes Gotham completely offline. Bane brings his army and arsenal of weapons/vehicles in from overseas in shipping containers on freighters.

You do that and the story becomes more of a "take Gotham City back" type of deal instead of the usual "stop the bomb" scenario.

Hmm, it’s an interesting question. But I vote no. The DC Gilman will figure out how to make it work eventually: whether that be through a soft-reboot course correction what we’re seeing now or a hypothetical hard reboot down the line DC will get it together.

Even though I have no hope for Aquaman(it doesn’t look like it’s going to very good IMO) I am super -psyched for Shazam(the original Captain Marvel by the way), Wonder Woman 1984, and last but not least of course Matt Reeves Batman, etc.

I had more problems than that with it. I think it needed some heavy retooling.

People who say that usually go on to pitch ideas that are blatantly worse than Rises as it already stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"