Should Hawkman Replace Batman in Live Action JL (+concept art)

thorstone

Civilian
Reaction score
Whether there is a prequel or a reboot in Batman's future; I don't see the Justice League being his destiny.

Hawkman is usually overlooked as a potential hero in a live action JL film; he just looks ridiculous and requires a complete redesign if he is to be on the big screen. I believe he can be portrayed in the vein of Nite Owl/Batman/Owlman; with themed armor and cape, and he can be utilized to fill the role of Batman.

hawkmanconcept2.jpg

clawofhorus.jpg

Claw of Horus

Hawkman has "telepathic control over the metal in his suit" which is a fancy way of saying he is a magnokinetic. The ability to control the metal in his suit permits Hawkman to fly, makes him bullet proof, allows him to lift large objects.

Is this an actual thing, or just an idea? Because WB would have to be insane to do this. Batman is the second most recognized hero in comics, and the most profitable of their stock. Hawkman is a borderline nobody.

( not that this is reason to exclude the concept entirely mind! )

Please don't create thread titles that sound like news stories when they're just your opinions, please.

I don't know if I should get a mod to change the title to something less misleading.

I feel like doing Hawkman without the wings just isn't worth it. You might as well just use a completely different character.

Why use Hawkman instead of Batman just to change him to make him more similar to Batman?

He should replace Aquaman cause ya know he like totally sucks. :o

Title is misleading, so I renamed it.

Personally, I don't see a JL movie happening WITHOUT Batman. He's the cash-cow, and as such he's also the character who'll guarantee a paying audience even if they don't know who the other yokels on the team are (you can bet your sweet bippy the marketing department won't be so hot to promote the movie without Bats' point-eared shadow prominent among the group, either). Sad it is, but that's what I'd see happening.

Legal issues look likely to preclude JL from including Superman.

Even so, I don't want to add Hawkman as a replacement for Superman if it keeps the character count at 7.

I'd keep JL to 5 characters max. Batman, WW, Flash, GL and - the 5th character could be Aquaman or maybe Hawkman. That is going to be the debate.

The original poster needs to change the name of this thread. Batman is not the one who is going to be replaced - never going to happen. It's Superman whom they likely will need to find a repalcement hero for.

Last edited:
Owlman could be an alternative, but he is even more obscure than Hawkman.

I spent a lot of time debating whether Hawkman should have wings. I don't think he needs wings when they aren't what enables him to fly. Batman, Owlman, and Nite Owl are all based on flying animals and none have wings.

In order for Hawkman to have wings; he would either have to be born with them or wear some huge mechanical wings (which still aren't used to fly).

Batman is Warner's golden cow; they have established him as existing in a world without super humans-- Batman is fighting terrorists and JL is more of a popcorn film (like Transformers) where people in tights lift cars over their heads and fly. If you introduce Batman; what it means is the JL is going to have to exist in his world and not the other way around-- and thus noone will have super powers.

I love Nolan's Batman films, but I hate this somewhat elitist attitude that has taken over Batfans. Batman exists in a world with Superman. Hell, he exists in a world with Bat Mite. Just because there are no other superheroes in the Nolan films, it doesn't mean they can't exist.

Eh, the real problem is that the existence of super humans, or any kind of superhuman history, would have effects on the setting. Two full movies and a third coming up without even a *hint* of anything existing beyond extraordinary skill and somewhat-beyond-realistic technology? Without a hint of anyone seriously believing any such thing is possible? It stretches credibility for their to suddenly be Superman in the setting.

For Batman to appear in Justice League; it would be a totally different Batman, which means you have to first reboot Batman with at least one film in which Superman and Wonder Woman exist/are introduced. A world in which superhumans exists is a different world from Nolan's Batman.

I can't imagine that at the end of The Dark Knight Rises, Bruce Wayne comes home to the batcave to find Wonder Woman stalking around his digs like Nick Fury and she says, "You think you're the only super hero in the world?"

I love Nolan's Batman films, but I hate this somewhat elitist attitude that has taken over Batfans. Batman exists in a world with Superman. Hell, he exists in a world with Bat Mite. Just because there are no other superheroes in the Nolan films, it doesn't mean they can't exist.

Sometimes in movies, fortunately, they choose to leave out certain ideas no matter how much they exist in comics. Multi-heroes and bat mite are two of them I'm personally thankful for.

There isn't a world where Superman SHOULD exist. That is part of the magic of these superheroes. You should be in awe not only the first time you see Superman or Wonder Woman, but every time you see them. Them existing should be out of the ordinary.

might as well just rewrite the thing. forget about supes, plug in captain marvel. JL isn't some sports team where you remove and plug in different guys who fill different roles.

i never understood that. how long did it take the joker to takeover gotham? a week?

Whats with all the dumb fan ideas?

If a JL movie does not have Superman and Batman in it, its not worth watching, and would feel forced the minute you watched it.

Whats with all the dumb fan ideas?

If a JL movie does not have Superman and Batman in it, its not worth watching, and would feel forced the minute you watched it.

True that. A JL movie would need these two characters to be a big box office hit. Unless the movie sucked balls.

A Justice League movie without Batman, Superman or both would still be worth watching, and might even be very good.

But there's no reason to say "Could Hawkman replace Batman"? Anyone could replace anyone. The best scenario is to find a way to have both character in the franchise, so they can interact.

It might, in theory, be worth watching, but I don't think a JLA movie with Superman or Batman would be worth *making*, as I don't think it'd sell. Even if you had a series of solo movies to set up the most important members ( ala Avengers ), you'd be fighting against the fact that the GA actually does, to an extent, know that Superman and Batman are supposed to be there.

if people read my comment as saying supes shouldn't be in it, then they have terrible reading comprehension.

There isn't a world where Superman SHOULD exist. That is part of the magic of these superheroes. You should be in awe not only the first time you see Superman or Wonder Woman, but every time you see them. Them existing should be out of the ordinary.

Absolutely. So every time a new "superhero" would appear that "extraordinary" feeling gets lost a little. Superman is not that extraordinary when you have Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Hawkman, Capt. Marvel and a whole bunch of people who can do (more or less) the same as him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"