Is a Hawkman film in the works???

Webhead2006

The Web-Swinger
Reaction score
This site is claiming a hawkman film may be in the works.

http://www.pajiba.com/trade_news/dc-comics-developing-hawkman.php
Exclusive: DC Comics Developing Another Dumb Comic Book Movie

Hawkman Just Hit You with a Planet / Dustin Rowles

Trade News | December 21, 2009 | Comments (21)
I’m gonna try real hard to muster up some give-a-**** for this news item, which comes from our winsome and witty super-duper secret inside source, The Hollywood Cog, who tells me that Warner Brothers and DC Comics are developing a big-screen version of Hawkman.
Ah yes — when Hollywood starts tackling the fringe elements of the Super Friends, you know we’re in trouble. I don’t know a lot about Hawkman, beyond the fact that he’s not a particularly cool-looking superhero, but were DC to try to take Hawkman in a direction similar to what Marvel is doing with Thor, I could see Adrien Brody in the role.
For the unfamiliar (like myself), Hawkman uses archaic weaponry and large artificial wings attached by a harness made of the Nth metal that allows for flight. Most incarnations of Hawkman work closely with a partner slash romantic interest, Hawkgirl or Hawkwoman in his fight against supervillians, though I could not tell you who Hawkman’s arch-nemesis is. Probably Country Farm Mouse Man.
Warners is looking to make Hawkman a tentpole franchise, and describes the movie as part Indiana Jones, part Da Vinci Code and part Ghost, which makes absolutely no sense to me — I have no idea what three elements of those movies you could combine to make a superhero movie about a man with strap-on wings who uses maces and spears, and who probably squawks at his enemies like a goddamn ninny. *Squawk*
Not so coincidentally, I suspect, Hawkman will also be making an appearance in a two-hour episode of “Smallville” this February — he’s set to be played by Michael Shanks. Perhaps, DC is using “Smallville” to test interest in the character before moving ahead on development of Hawkman, which is currently out to writers. Will Hackner at DC Comics is running point on the big-screen version.
Let’s hope this one never gets any farther than Aquaman — in fact, perhaps Aquaman and Hawkman can battle it out in development hell for all of eternity.

:dry: Are that many ppl really crying out for a Hawkman film especially in comparison that alot of other DC characters

I know its not saying that this film is beign fast tracked, but really to hear that this film is getting more news than Green Arrow, Flash, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman is ridiculous

And its not like making a Hawkman movie would be cheaper than say a Green Arrow movie.

yea with all the trouble they have been getting with getting the main listers i dont really see hawkman happening any time soon. would i go see hawkman movie sure he is an interesting character and could hold a movie well enough i think. But yea really if any dc guy is next up after green lantern it will probably end up being either flash/shazam more likely since there has been more movement there, then maybe green arrow. Though for all we know if they get the right producers/writers on a project and turn in a good script maybe hawkman could happen before the others. But with DC's track record i wouldnt hold my breath.

Not a top priority for me either, although I'd like Joe Kubert to get a big media spotlight while he's still with us. I doubt it's high on WB's priority list as well.

Still, when I see a story like this I can't help but wonder "Is the story/script surprisingly good?" "Is there some director out there that has an affinity to the character that can push it through the development process?" I wasn't expecting Lobo to get this far in development either.

Again I have ask this again, as I do when ever a more obscure hero gets talked about for the movie treatment, who are the hero's villains and supporting cast?

Know I know a bit about Hawkman's rogues gallery and he does seem to have a few good villains, like Gentleman Ghost and Shadow Thief, perosnally I would go with Shadow thief because he seems easier to do and I just like that name.

But who are his supporting cast members?

I always thought a Hawkman movie would work in the same vein as The Fountain seeingas how Hawkman and Hawkwoman were always destined to return and fall in love.

The past would be the Hawk-worshiping Egyptians. The present would be the archeologists studying the Egyptians. And the future (which would chronologically be the past) would be the Thanagarian, who eventually come to Earth and spark civilization and worshipped like gods. Maybe too much like The Fountain but whatever.

I think Hawkman would be better off with a lot of changes to make it much more Indiana Jones like. I dont see the suit or name making an easy transition to screen.

This is probably going to be like the Suicide Squad movie announced then we'll never hear about it

:dry: Are that many ppl really crying out for a Hawkman film especially in comparison that alot of other DC characters

I know its not saying that this film is beign fast tracked, but really to hear that this film is getting more news than Green Arrow, Flash, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman is ridiculous

And its not like making a Hawkman movie would be cheaper than say a Green Arrow movie.

Sometimes its not about what the fans want, but opportunity. Jonah Hex wasnt made in-house. Neveldine and Taylor wrote a script and then pitched it and shot Hex to the number one spot. Or they have a producer, writer, director, someone with a personal interest in the property. Or certain industry trends make them think this could be more marketable.

The Supergirl talk is in all liklieness a way to bank on Taylor Swift's celebrity and hook the Twilight fangirls with another female centric "geek" property.

I dont think Flash and Wonder Woman necessarily need to have had movies because their more popular in a completely different medium. Nevertheless, they have always been at the top of the priority list since they have already tried to make either one before. They have just had horrible results.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind a Hawkman movie. I just want WW, Flash and Green Arrow first.

yea it would be cool it it happens. but with how other characters have been mention and not go anywhere it could be case for hawkman too.

Wow, this is surprising. I could see it working if it were to be filmed in the tone of an '80s Spielberg movie in a much larger scope.

The guy writing that article sounds like a moron. I would love a Hawkman movie, and an Aquaman movie.

Yes but you also post on a superhero message board, as opposed to the 98% of the general public who have probably never heard of hawkman and the other 90% of the public who associate aquaman with an entourage plot gimmick.

Sometimes its not about what the fans want, but opportunity. Jonah Hex wasnt made in-house. Neveldine and Taylor wrote a script and then pitched it and shot Hex to the number one spot. Or they have a producer, writer, director, someone with a personal interest in the property. Or certain industry trends make them think this could be more marketable.
Neveldine and Taylor didn't shoot Jonah Hex and Akiva Goldsman has been in charge of the project for years.

Anyway, according to Chud's Devin Faraci the Hawkman movie has been in development at WB for years.

interesting to find things out like that, but yea if its been in the works for awhile its probably not going to get into any active form of development with the rate other characters talked about and gone nothing have. Unless they got producers/writers on boards and they bring in script studio likes. I could see hawkman working out well and if they treat it right it could be a good hit. as for villain for first film i would go with hawkman's foe shadow theif he would be a prime one to use.

It isn't particularly high on my wish list, but I'd like to see a Hawkman movie come to fruition

Last edited:
They should make a Rann/Thanagar War movie. Not necessarily based on the mini-series, but just using that idea as a starting point.

As the Hype's biggest Hawkman supporter, I first want to say that the guy who reported the story is an ignorant *****e. Now from there, I would love to see the Hawk's great potential realized on film, and I feel their story is very epic and original. Will this get made? I personally would be shocked if it did, but if the Smallville JSA movie does extremely well, I'd love to see a JSA tv series or better yet, a movie.

And for some crazy reason since Avatar came out, I've had visions of a Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes movie.

Anyway, according to Chud's Devin Faraci the Hawkman movie has been in development at WB for years.

It has indeed been in development for years.

I remember reading in the "Hawkman Companion" where Geoff Johns actually spoke about a pitch he made for a Hawkman movie, though he really didn't give many specifics. Just stating that he envisioned it as part Indiana Jones, The Mummy, Flash Gordon, and 300. With a visceral, savage Hawkman in the modern day world.

With the state of performance capture and 3D as it is, they might be able to pull it off. This is obviously going to be an action film with a love story thats on a par with Aida -- no, I am not saing that this should be a musical, but the element of reincarnation and two lovers finding each other in the future is similar.

With the state of performance capture and 3D as it is, they might be able to pull it off. This is obviously going to be an action film with a love story thats on a par with Aida -- no, I am not saing that this should be a musical, but the element of reincarnation and two lovers finding each other in the future is similar.

There's no doubt-Cameron convinced me that blue cat-people Indians were on the screen in front of me so a pissed off guy in wings swinging a mace should be easy as pie with a good budget.

As the Hype's biggest Hawkman supporter, I first want to say that the guy who reported the story is an ignorant *****e. Now from there, I would love to see the Hawk's great potential realized on film, and I feel their story is very epic and original. Will this get made? I personally would be shocked if it did, but if the Smallville JSA movie does extremely well, I'd love to see a JSA tv series or better yet, a movie.

And for some crazy reason since Avatar came out, I've had visions of a Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes movie.
You're not alone. ;)

And agree about the guy who wrote that report. "DC Developing Another Dumb Comic Book Movie". Really? Really? Hawkman's potential of a film is endless it terms of story, character, etc. So I'm all for a movie.

I'd see a Hawkman movie, but I hold absolutely no hope of this getting made, at least not in the foreseeable future. WB's track record with superhero films beyond Superman and Batman is atrocious in so much as getting past the pre-production phase. Superman, too, is apparently not a full-proof venture these days either, and even Green Lantern seems to be having its fair share of troubles as well, despite having a script, director, and lead.

To me, this Hawkman rumor smacks of the Green Arrow Super Max treatment, where I readily believe there are talks going on in Hollywood, but there's little to no chance of an actual film being produced. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"