Comics Should Spider-Man have ended in the 1990's?

jeffjhicks

Civilian
Reaction score
I've recently been re-reading some ASM from the early 90's and got the feeling that this was a perfect way to end the character. I was wondering if anyone got the same feeling?
p.s. I LOVE Spider-Man and am glad he's still around, I was just think that from a storytelling standpoint it was a good way to end

Probably.

But then you could also make valid arguments for why the book(s) should have ended in the 80's, 70's and even the 60's too.

I'm glad kids will get to discover and grow up with Spidey the same way I did in the late 80's and early 90's, so from that perspective I'm glad he's still going strong. From a purely quality perspective.... err... that's another story. We need to accept Spider-Man is more than a comic book now, it's an institution like Superman and Batman. He will probably be going strong for a hundred years, even after all of us are gone. Eventually his stories will start to repeat themselves, decline in quality and stop making sense when you look at them chronologically (i.e: continuity). But I'm glad kids will still experience the same sense of wonder and adventure I did when I started to collect. Above all else, that's really what it's all about in the end. At least IMHO. I wouldn't want to deny future generations that joy, by having the books end today.

I've recently been re-reading some ASM from the early 90's and got the feeling that this was a perfect way to end the character. I was wondering if anyone got the same feeling?

What exactly in the early 90's was the perfect way to end Spider-Man?

p.s. I LOVE Spider-Man and am glad he's still around, I was just think that from a storytelling standpoint it was a good way to end

Aloha,
Volume one of Amazing Spider-Man did end in the 90's, so on one level Spidey did end.You hardly hear anything about the Gathering of Five since it happened at the end of v.1 .Don't know if it would have been the best way to end the character though. As mentioned, Spider-Man as a character will be around for many generations to come.He's timeless, that the trick about writing him today,he can't age or mature too much.
Spidey rules

The 90s? The 90s would have been a horrible era to end Spider-Man in, especially if it ended with The Final Chapter. Man that was such a piss poor story :o

Edit- my bad, I mean The Gathering of the 5.

Last edited:
I dont see why ending Spidey in the 90's specifically would have worked. Certainly not after the Gathering of Five. You thought there was an uproar during the Clone Saga? That woulda been nuthin.

I have been thinking for a long time that it would have been a good way to end the series with the marriage in the 80's. Ever since Spider-Man have been either crap, or just a big "meh", with some rare good stories here and there. But that's me.

It should have ended with "The Final Chapter".

I can't believe you think it would have been a good idea to end the books with bar-none the WORST Spider-Man story ever written. I mean talk about ending with a whimper. (Unless you're talking about the 60's Lee/Ditko "Final Chapter" where Spidey lifts that giant equipment off his back, and not the terrible Mackie/Byrne volume 1 ending story that I think you're referring to...)

I stated my position above that I don't think the books should ever end, but if the books absolutely HAD to end, then the best way would have been Peter and MJ going off happily ever after to have their kid when Ben took over (except I would have made it clear Ben was the clone). The legend continues and Ben and Peter and MJ all realize their dreams, that is Ben gets to be Spider-Man and Peter and MJ get to have normal lives and a family. I know the clone-saga's not widely liked (even if Ben himself is), but it was the last arc in which continuity was respected and really contains the last true classic tale ASM#400. Plus, it was before all the stupid resurrections of Norman Osborn, Aunt May, Harry Osborn and everyone else who has ever died.

See, I could pick a few points where it could have ended (although, I think it should NEVER END).

1- Amazing Spider-Man #200
Come on....this is the best way to end Spider-Man!! He has to fight the burglar, while shot and powerless? AWESOME! And what a build-up! The ending was perfect.

2- Spider-Girl
Have us SEE the battle where Norman dies and Peter loses his leg, and then have Mayday take over. We still have a web-slinger, and we can still read about Peter....NOW IF PEOPLE WOULD HAVE QUIT BUYING ASM AND BOUGHT ASG, WE COULD STILL HAVE THAT!!!

*ahem*

3- Amazing Spider-Man# 350
Most of the Spider-Man stories I read after this really sucked. Maybe it was because Lrsen left, or maybe it was because every issue after that featured a million guest stars, symbiotes, or clones, but this was one of the last "fun" stories of the 90s.

4- One More Day
WHAT?!?! Hear me out....Spider-Man deosn't make the deal with Mephisto to save Aunt May, but instead gets Loki to help him, but it costs him his Spider-powers, and he never unmasked, leaving Peter and MJ to leave a normal life, happily ever after.

The ASM #200 would have been a perfect cycle up to that point... because it appeared that everything since Day One up to that point still had ties...

But I'm glad it goes on and Spidey will still be going on strong long after we're not around to read anymore...

Great topic, just to read everyone's response. Spidey should never end of course. However, most of us have grew up reading the comics and when the status quo of the character chances it probably feels like a good time to wrap the story up. I think thats part of the beauty of reading comics anyway. Most of the mainstream characters go back decades so while we grab on to a certain creative period or story someone else eventually comes in to put their spin on a already established character. While I may not always like the current direction, I know someone else will come along and Spidey may spin back into something thats a little more my style.

Thats the beauty of that Marvel's done with Wolverine. He effectlvely won't age/die. So he can continue as an eternal, while life changes around him. The same thing is true with Thor and to a lesser extent, the Hulk as well.

To answer the question NO. However I wish Marvel developed characters to eventually take over the legacy the way DC has with some characters.

But typically these are characters that are minor and those who replace the major ones wont have their roles for too long(though that doesnt mean there arent exceptions, look at Wally West........oh yeah).

No spiderman should not have ended in 1990's. Spiderman and other comics have never been written with a finale in mind. The fights never end. They dont get to ride into the sunset and stay there.

But typically these are characters that are minor and those who replace the major ones wont have their roles for too long(though that doesnt mean there arent exceptions, look at Wally West........oh yeah).

No spiderman should not have ended in 1990's. Spiderman and other comics have never been written with a finale in mind. The fights never end. They dont get to ride into the sunset and stay there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"