World Your thoughts on the 1990's Spider-man animated series..

jignat

Civilian
Reaction score
SPIDER BLOOD SPIDER BLOOD, RADIOACTIVE SPIDER BLOOD

I finally got a hold of all the episdoes of the 1990's spider-man cartoon and marathoned em.

It was the first time ive seen all the episodes , and IN order to boot.

when it was orignally on, my station used to show them out of order, and i missed some etc.

My thougths:

I really liked the serialized(a la lost/heroes) nature of the show. With Batman being great but mostly episodic. Xmen a mix of episdoc and mulltiparters. But i think this show pulled it off well.

Positives:

--I did like ALL the voice actors especially
-Chris barnes as sm/pp, Ed asner as J Jonah Jameson, Roscoe lee browne as kingpin...
--The CG shots look tacky now, but it was a nice idea for the time.
--Unlike the live movies, the humorous wise-cracking element works really well.
There is a good balance of drama and humor.
--A lot of the best stories from all the decades adapted /merged , even improved.
Venom origin TAS>comic >movie imo.
--Use of characters who are a bit obscure, ie Debra Whitman, Big wheel, Rocket Racer
--of course that theme song
--the guest marvel chars. Blades portrayal/'voice was really good imo, and considering he appeared on the show b4 the live action Blade.
Iron man /cap/FF/xmen were handled well in this show.

Negs:

--I never realized but it but the show REUSED A LOT of footage. A lot of webslinging shots, and of course flashbacks, but it was not as bad as stock power up sequcnes in some mecha anime
--Wierd continuity stuff, like Hobgoblin preceding Green goblin, electro being red skulls son
--No sandman, gwen stacy
--for a show w/ lot of action, there isnt any actual punching. fight scenes relied too much on webbing
--no one could die, and the usual cops have lasers censorship BS

Discuss.

Technically Gwen Stacy showed up in that last episode arc, where Peter goes to another dimension.(The Armored Rich Spider-Man's).

It was a great series and I'd love to get a box set of dvds.

Same. I haven't seen it in years but I use to love it. My only problem was that Peter was too big.

I need these on DVD ASAP, I loved the show when I was younger. havent seen it in years though

Over use of the Kingpin.

I was sick to death of him by the end of the second season.

I'll say we had too much teams up. Blade, Wolverine, Captain America, Iron Man, Secret Wars etc.

On the other hand Hydroman was actually good, didn't know that was possible.

The first season is probably my favorite, because all the villains are introduced and do their own thing, which works really well. Season two was great as well, with the guest stars and the story was entertaining, but the constant "to be continued"s annoyed me as a kid.
Season three...I don't really remember it, and that's probably for the good. Season four was flat-out terrible. (I liked the concept of the Secret Wars and the Marriage, but they were done in such lame fashion).
I liked how they did Venom and Doc Ock, my two favs. Good actors and origins.
Black Cat....sheesh. She embarrassed me even as a young'n. But then, she's an embarrassing character.

Yeah. I loved this show. This and the video game Maximum Carnage are what got me into Spider-man. When I read the comics I picture the voices of these characters while reading.Basically this show made a blue print in my mind of what Spider-man is and should be.

This was by far the best Spider-Man animated series to date. While I think the original 1960's collection of Spidey cartoons is cheesy but classic, the 1990's show gave us a great adaptation of the Spider-Man we all know and love. My only complaint about the show was that it ended with a dud, as Spidey attempts to find MJ. I wish Fox would have allowed the series to continue, before the horrible Spider-Man: Unlimited mess.

I love this show. Its the thing that got me into Spidey. Every time I read a Spider-man comic now I hear that guys voice. He was perfect.

I liked the show but it had restrictions which characters couldn't say kill,die,death, etc.That's one

Second, As Doc Ock said, the over-use of Kingpin

Third, It only had 65 episodes.They could had made a lot more then that

I love this show. Its the thing that got me into Spidey. Every time I read a Spider-man comic now I hear that guys voice. He was perfect.
:up: Totally. Plus the animation style was pretty distinctive, it's easy to picture Peter Parker in your head.

Negs:

--I never realized but it but the show REUSED A LOT of footage. A lot of webslinging shots, and of course flashbacks, but it was not as bad as stock power up sequcnes in some mecha anime
--Wierd continuity stuff, like Hobgoblin preceding Green goblin, electro being red skulls son
--No sandman, gwen stacy
--for a show w/ lot of action, there isnt any actual punching. fight scenes relied too much on webbing
--no one could die, and the usual cops have lasers censorship BS

Discuss.

I don't think they had the rights to Sandman hence the use of Hydroman. I never understood the police with lasers. I also remember that they had a high frequency noise blaster they used on Spider-Man when he was wearing the black suit.

Animation and quality wise,its the greatest Spider-Man cartoon ever..i dont think any new series will even come close to it.

I liked it, but all the dimension/portal crap got annoying.

I never understood the police with lasers.

That's because they had a bunch of very restrictive rules when they were making this. No actual guns, no death (onscreen, anyway), no saying the words "death" or "kill" (hence the use of the word "destroy" so much), Spidey couldn't throw a punch, when Spidey landed on a roof, he couldn't hurt a pidgeon (I swear this is true)...things like that.

And I hated how the show progressed. Black Cat is the upgraded Captain America? Electro is Dr. Doom's son? Baron Mordo enlists Venom and Carnage? MJ and Hydroman return as watery clones?

*teh sigh*

*pops in "Heart of Ice"*

Decent show, but way over censored.

Well it's better than Unlimited. What was that bunch of garbage?

The second season was riveting as all hell, and how it concluded had to be the most satisfying wrap-up of all time. I remember after the last Neogenic Nightmare, hugging myself in bliss, feeling that everything was right with the world, all the pain and cliffhangers and tears and worrying about the fate of Spidey was all worth it.

Man-Spider!!!!!!!

I'd just like to say the Punisher was hillarious in it...the censorship was worse than the damn "mercy bullets" he used to use back in the day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"