Should the movie be called Black Panther?

Chance Jackson

Sidekick
Reaction score
Hear me out for a second here cuz im looking at this situation like this; you know Fox News and The Blaze and all the other conservative media outlets are going to be all over this movie because of the name of the movie they are going to levy accusations about the hypocrisy of "the liberal media" because the left would be totally against it if someone were to create a movie with a white superhero with white supremacy/sepratist or Confederacy iconography/regerences regardless of the fact that Marvel's Black Panther has nothing to do with either of the Black Panther parties, it won't matter to them that Disney the company that is making these Marvel movies also made a movie about John Carter from Mars who was a Confederate soldier, conservative media will do anything for ratings and false controversy is there bread and butter just look back to when Brian Michael Bendis killed off Peter Parker in the Ultimate line and introduced Miles Morales as far as I can remember only Glenn Beck had the decency to at least mention that it was a alternate reality Peter Parker not the mainstream one but that was like a footnote after he took part in the false controversy.

I want, almost nead this movie to do well so that we see more of this type of thing now I know I'm going to vote with my dollar when this comes out and support the **** out of it but I want all people to see this movie with their kids even those that trust Breitbart and Fox News so I'm looking at how to make this more appealing to the entire movie going audience.

Several months ago I suggested that maybe they should bring in hawkeye as a competant white male action hero shield agent ally replacement for that incompetant embasy agent guy which was a rather popular idea when I suggested it not that any of us have any power over Marvel Studios but I'd like to at least see what people here think, cuz there's a bunch of smart people on this board that can think outside of the box of strict comic book adherence. so I'm looking at Black Panther like this: he's a black guy, with a black suit and a panther theme Do you need to call the movie Black Panther? Why not just call the movie "T'chala the Panther", "Son of The Panther", "Enter the panther/wakanda" or something creative like that? It would avoid so many problems kind of like how the Captain Marvel movie is called "Shazam".

The way it should work in the movie is his full hero name should still be black panther but they would probably call him Black Panther sparingly while using T'Challa and "The Panther" primaily like with Captain America most of the time its just Captain/Cap/Captain Rogers rarely do they say Captain America

Tl;dr: The name of the movie should change because conservative media outlets will cry foul, you'll get all sorts of ignorant protest (probably the Confederate flag brand of jingoism which makes no sense at all)and maybe even some counter-productive counter protests to the conservative protests and it'll just be a mess

Last edited:
Tl;dr: The name of the movie should change because conservative media outlets will cry foul, you'll get all sorts of ignorant protest (probably the Confederate flag brand of jingoism which makes no sense at all)and maybe even some counter-productive counter protests to the conservative protests and it'll just be a mess

Thor got protests and controversy from conservative media over them making the Norse god Heimdall into a black man, and at the end of the day it didn't hurt the movie's bottom line. Any potential controversy would be overblown and I doubt it'd affect the movie very much.

By your own example conservatives threw a **** fit over characters like Miles Morales and Kamala Khan but both of them are still around.

Last edited:
I don't expect Fox news to do research but a simple google search will show you he came before the group. Marvel can always show this panel too
hml5_bp8.jpg

I had expected them to deemphasize "black" in the logo (so just "Panther" would stand out). However, they didn't do that and essentially no one reacted. Given this, while I expect some rumblings when the movie is next on the list, I don't think they'll be particularly loud. Anyway, if I'm wrong, we'll find out when he has a prominent role in Cap3. Then they can retool if they have to. But, right now, it doesn't seem like they'll have to. There will always be crazies, but I don't think it'll hurt the movie.

Thor got protests and controversy from conservative media over them making the Norse god Heimdall into a black man, and at the end of the day it didn't hurt the movie's bottom line. Any potential controversy would be overblown and I doubt it'd affect the movie very much.

By your own example conservatives threw a **** fit over characters like Miles Morales and Kamala Khan but both of them are still around.
sure but characters in comicbooks are insulated from the kind of sustained campaigns that movies can be subject to and the name association and easy ratings for conservative outlets they could drag out for weeks could be the kind of thing that would make conservative parents say no to their kids who would want to go otherwise

you bring up an interesting example cuz I actually forgot about the heimdall controversy but take that into perspective that controversy was for a relatively minor character just imagine how much controversy there would have been if a black man was playing Thor instead! That would have caused about half the kind of controversy that I'm talking about here with a black man playing a black power wet dream character named Black Panther dressed in black in a movie also called Black Panther who will likely have white imperialists/corporatists ie conservatives as antagonists i can already hear the bill o'reilly rant right now

Last edited:
I don't expect Fox news to do research but a simple google search will show you he came before the group. Marvel can always show this panel too
hml5_bp8.jpg
implying facts have any power over conservative agenda and easy ratings:oldrazz:
I had expected them to deemphasize "black" in the logo (so just "Panther" would stand out). However, they didn't do that and essentially no one reacted. Given this, while I expect some rumblings when the movie is next on the list, I don't think they'll be particularly loud. Anyway, if I'm wrong, we'll find out when he has a prominent role in Cap3. Then they can retool if they have to. But, right now, it doesn't seem like they'll have to. There will always be crazies, but I don't think it'll hurt the movie.
I'm not sure that Civil War will give us a good idea what kind of controversy there will be I mean at the beginning of the day and the end of the day it's still 2 white characters primarily duking it out in a movie named after one of the white characters, there just happens to be a character called Black Panther in it; a black panther movie would have the name Black Panther on the movie

Last edited:
sure but characters in comicbooks are insulated from the kind of sustained campaigns that movies can be subject to and the name association and easy ratings for conservative outlets they could drag out for weeks could be the kind of thing that would make conservative parents say no to their kids who would want to go otherwise

you bring up an interesting example cuz I actually forgot about the heimdall controversy but take that into perspective that controversy was for a relatively minor character just imagine how much controversy there would have been if a black man was playing Thor instead! That would have caused about half the kind of controversy that I'm talking about here with a black man playing a black power wet dream character named Black Panther dressed in black in a movie also called Black Panther who will likely have white imperialists/corporatists ie conservatives as antagonists i can already hear the bill o'reilly rant right now

You're kinda doing a long run-on here but while I get the gist of what you're saying, I'll simply say you're overthinking it a bit. At the end of the day I don't think the idiots at Fox news wield the sort of power or influence needed to crash the Marvel movie machine, so I wouldn't worry.

No, it shouldn't change.
All things have people complaining about them.
I hope they keep the title Black panther, that's his costume and motif, and I want them to not shy away from saying "this particular animal is a symbol of honor to our tribe, it represents qualities A, B, C, D..."
It's not racist, it shouldn't be considered racist.
One of our resident Black Panther geeks is a brown skinned man, he doesn't find it racist.

1: The character's name was created independently from the political party.

2: False equivalency. Comparing the Black Panther Party to the Ku Klux Klan betrays a profound misunderstanding of what the Black Panther Party was. Which leads me to…

3: Why should Marvel Studios give a **** about what Fox News thinks? They'll make money either way.

Will there be protests? Probably. But that'll only make the film look cooler and will probably help out sales. Marvel's primary demographic is not historically illiterate middle aged white conservatives.

1969-Dodge-Charger-General-Lee-DOH-R-SS-JK-1920x1440_zps86920cbe.jpg

Because they changed the name and symbol of the General Lee car for the Dukes of Hazard movie, which unlike Marvel's BP is a DIRECT historical reference.

Oh wait, they didn't.

implying facts have any power over conservative agenda and easy ratings:oldrazz:
I'm not sure that Civil War will give us a good idea what kind of controversy there will be I mean at the beginning of the day and the end of the day it's still 2 white characters primarily duking it out in a movie named after one of the white characters, there just happens to be a character called Black Panther in it; a black panther movie would have the name Black Panther on the movie

But the only controversy* here is the name. Having the character featured a decent amount with that name spoken will draw the attention of the Fox News crowd. I agree it won't be as front and center, but it still will be the biggest opportunity so far. My point is, if there's no reaction at all then, you can assume the reaction later won't be big. If there is a reaction, my guess is it'll be bigger by the time you get to the solo film.

there's no such thing as bad publicity

/the end

there's no such thing as bad publicity

/the end

Also, it's Fox News. Anyone who is actually conservative enough to watch that channel and get angry about a hero named "Black Panther" probably wasn't about to go watch a superhero movie about a black guy to begin with.

1: The character's name was created independently from the political party.
Will that matter to conservative Parents who have children who will want to see the new Marvel Movie?
2: False equivalency. Comparing the Black Panther Party to the Ku Klux Klan betrays a profound misunderstanding of what the Black Panther Party was. Which leads me to…
Agreed, but that equivalency is 100% valid in the eyes of The Breitbart/Fox crowd I have had the misfortune of stumbling onto news stories from less popular conservative outlets and if you saw the comments you would think everyone was a bill o'reilly programmed robot
3: Why should Marvel Studios give a **** about what Fox News thinks? They'll make money either way.
cause fox and the like hold a lot of sway with the other half of the US market
Will there be protests? Probably. But that'll only make the film look cooler and will probably help out sales. Marvel's primary demographic is not historically illiterate middle aged white conservatives.
true but those people have kids who I would hope would want to watch BP lets not give those people any excuse to say no

Will that matter to conservative Parents who have children who will want to see the new Marvel Movie?Agreed, but that equivalency is 100% valid in the eyes of The Breitbart/Fox crowd I have had the misfortune of stumbling onto news stories from less popular conservative outlets and if you saw the comments you would think everyone was a bill o'reilly programmed robotcause fox and the like hold a lot of sway with the other half of the US market true but those people have kids who I would hope would want to watch BP lets not give those people any excuse to say no

Avatar made 2.7 billion worldwide without the Fox News crowd.

^Fox and other conservatives outlets were against that too? Did they rally against it for weeks? Avatar was the first modern major 3d movie so it did have a novelty factor in its favor * researching the movie I discovered 20th century Fox made and/or distributed it

You're kinda doing a long run-on here but while I get the gist of what you're saying, I'll simply say you're overthinking it a bit. At the end of the day I don't think the idiots at Fox news wield the sort of power or influence needed to crash the Marvel movie machine, so I wouldn't worry.
Yeah I know I'm well into the run-on territory and I apologize.

I think fox news and the like have the ability to take a movie that might have done close to thor 2/cap2 #s and turn it into one that does closer to cap 1 or worse Hulk #s which while not terrible might not be enough to justify a 2nd one. I don't want disney/marvel having any excuse not to give us a 2nd, and 3rd one as well as other POC heroes

But the only controversy* here is the name. Having the character featured a decent amount with that name spoken will draw the attention of the Fox News crowd. I agree it won't be as front and center, but it still will be the biggest opportunity so far. My point is, if there's no reaction at all then, you can assume the reaction later won't be big. If there is a reaction, my guess is it'll be bigger by the time you get to the solo film.
That may depend on whether Black Panther is named in the Trailers and Teasers if he is only named in the movie proper I don't think that will be a good gauge of how Fox and the rest will react

Last edited:
Bill O'Reily is aware of more obscure things than that. It doesn't have to be in the trailers to draw attention (particularly when people are grasping at straws to find something to complain about).

You guys don't seriously think the "Fox news" crowd is going to give a damn that this movie is called THE BLACK PANTHER do you? After all this character does predate the 60's political movement.
Are you letting your bias get the best of you?
Let's try to keep this fair and balanced...

Does anyone else find the idea of Fox complaining about this funny?
Fox has the rights for Fantastic Four, and in the comics Black Panther's first appearance and spin-off series came because of that series.

Bill O'Reily is aware of more obscure things than that. It doesn't have to be in the trailers to draw attention (particularly when people are grasping at straws to find something to complain about).
You might be might be right only time will tell

You guys don't seriously think the "Fox news" crowd is going to give a damn that this movie is called THE BLACK PANTHER do you? After all this character does predate the 60's political movement.
Are you letting your bias get the best of you?
Let's try to keep this fair and balanced...
Poe's law lol
Does anyone else find the idea of Fox complaining about this funny?
Fox has the rights for Fantastic Four, and in the comics Black Panther's first appearance and spin-off series came because of that series.
I guess it could be kind of ironic lol

No it shouldn't change. Whenever you give into to racists or conservative nut jobs you'll only empower them to be worse and make even more excessive demands

Controversy isn't always a bad thing. Those who are going to see it will see it regardless.
But if someone at FOX News actually does lose their mind over this:funny:(it is their job to be "outraged!"), It may get people who otherwise might have ignored it completely, to go see it (or at least find out more about it, it's history, it's context, it's creators etc..., which isn't a bad thing.), just to see what the controversy is all about.

Last edited:
Controversy isn't always a bad thing. Those who are going to see it will see it regardless.
But if someone at FOX News actually does loose their mind over this:funny:(it is their job to be "outraged!"), It may get people who otherwise might have ignored it completely, to go see it (or at least find out more about it, it's history, it's context, it's creators etc..., which isn't a bad thing.), just to see what the controversy is all about.

Jon Stewart actually did a segment once on how a few times Bill O'Reilly and Fox called for boycotts on perceived "liberal slights" and sales for the things in question actually went UP, not down.

So that'd be funny if you had these idiots whining and screaming about how "racist" Black Panther is an all it accomplished was making more people aware of the movie.

Should the movie be called Black Panther?

Yes. Because it sounds Badass & it's his first big feature film. Names like "T'chala the Panther", "Son of The Panther", "Enter the panther/wakanda" are better for a reboot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"