Should the movie be called Black Panther?

No it shouldn't change. Whenever you give into to racists or conservative nut jobs you'll only empower them to be worse and make even more excessive demands
This is true but they haven't made demands yet, they haven't made any noise yet I'm thinking of heading them off at the pass so to speak before they get a chance to crucify a movie named "Black Panther"

Controversy isn't always a bad thing. Those who are going to see it will see it regardless.
But if someone at FOX News actually does loose their mind over this:funny:(it is their job to be "outraged!"), It may get people who otherwise might have ignored it completely, to go see it (or at least find out more about it, it's history, it's context, it's creators etc..., which isn't a bad thing.), just to see what the controversy is all about.

Jon Stewart actually did a segment once on how a few times Bill O'Reilly and Fox called for boycotts on perceived "liberal slights" and sales for the things in question actually went UP, not down.

So that'd be funny if you had these idiots whining and screaming about how "racist" Black Panther is an all it accomplished was making more people aware of the movie.
You two may be right but I just feel him having the hero name "Black Panther" alone is falsely controversial enough; as in enough to get some mention from the conservative outlets perhaps in a way that benefits the Box Office but I think naming the whole movie Black Panther might be the needle that broke the camel's back

What about Avatar?

Don't conservatives hate the message of that movie.

It made 2.7 billion at the box office.

I don't give a rats ass what Fox News thinks.

Marvel shouldn't change anything to appease those morons who try to politicize everything to fit their childlike narrative view of the world.

Even if they changed the name these types of people would still find some ignorant political spin to denounce the character with.

Last edited:
I think naming the whole movie Black Panther might be the needle that broke the camel's back
So?
Let it be broken, who cares what they think.
You propose changing it it to appease who exactly? And why?
Everything you put forth emphasizes why the awesome name should implicitly not be changed.

What about Avatar?

Don't conservatives hate the message of that movie.

It made 2.7 billion at the box office.
It was made by 20th Century Fox so I can't imagine the Fox News side or its media partners denounced it much at all

I don't give a rats ass what Fox News thinks.
Me neither but I do care about the sway they have with a rather large percentage of the American population and how often republican politicians repeat and re-enforce their talking points to the point where republican voters/fox news watchers will be parroting the same things; have you ever been to their news sites? The audience all blames Obama for worsening everything, Economy, Race Relations, and Divisive policies that is how I know I have stumbled upon a conservative news site. If this movie is released with Name intact expect all those buzz words and Liberal Plantation, White Guilt, etc being thrown around with abandon
Marvel shouldn't change anything to appease those morons who try to politicize everything to fit their childlike narrative view of the world
No Marvel should change it before Fox News and the like can use it as ammo against the movie
Even if they changed the name these types of people would still find some ignorant political spin to denounce the character with.
True, but they would have less ammo and maybe the lessened/restrained controversy added to the non-offensive movie title might help it's Box Office

So?
Let it be broken, who cares what they think.
You propose changing it it to appease who exactly? And why?
Everything you put forth emphasizes why the awesome name should implicitly not be changed.
Do you think that name helps more than it hurts in terms of box office take? Or is that an irrelevant factor?

Last edited:
They don't have any sway over a large percentage of the population relevant to this movie. Statistically, most of their audience tends to be older (middle age and elderly) white people, who aren't exactly the types of people who go out to see big budget superhero films any way.

You're acting like Chicken Little over a situation that exists purely in your head.

They don't have any sway over a large percentage of the population relevant to this movie. Statistically, most of their audience tends to be older (middle age and elderly) white people, who aren't exactly the types of people who go out to see big budget superhero films any way.

You're acting like Chicken Little over a situation that exists purely in your head.
but you're only looking at Fox News by itself, popular online outlets like Breitbart, theblaze and Smoking Gun and take all the talking points of Fox News(like all of them) and deliver them to the audience of conservatives and conservative leaning independents that Fox does not reach.

I'm probably over thinking things but this movie will have plenty hurdles to pass without the ire of the entire conservative political industrial complex

Bingo.

Any time you're thinking about changing something artistic to appease people who might complain about it, stop thinking about that and think these two words instead: **** 'em.

they should just call it Black Quokka. Everybody loves Quokkas

It's a seriously ridiculous concern to think that:

A) Fox News is going to somehow launch a jihad against a comic book movie to see that it fails.

and B) That even if they did,it would make the slightest difference at the box office. As was probably mentioned before, anyone racist enough not to go see the movie,already made their mind up long ago.

If the name "Black Panther" does any 'harm' to the film,it's probably only from the standpoint of old folks who will think it's a movie about the 60's movement.But those folks probably wouldn't know a comic book film if it bit them on the behind,so it's not like we'd be 'losing' them as potential viewers.

Last edited:
It's a seriously ridiculous concern to think that:

A) Fox News is going to somehow launch a jihad against a comic book movie to see that it fails.

and B) That even if they did,it would make the slightest difference at the box office. As was probably mentioned before, anyone racist enough not to go see the movie,already made their mind up long ago.

If the name "Black Panther" does any 'harm' to the film,it's probably only from the standpoint of old folks who will think it's a movie about the 60's movement.But those folks probably wouldn't know a comic book film if it bit them on the behind,so it's not like we'd be 'losing' them as potential viewers.
A) How much will ratings and internet traffic skyrocket from the controversy Fox and other conservative outlets manufacture? Fox also has a movie wing and it might use the controversy to help promote any 20th century fox movies or other conservative made movie (probably with a Murrica theme) that run at the same time as BP

B) Do those people not have kids? Do they not have coworkers and church goers they can influence? Block busters live on positive word of mouth

Food for thought: Bill O'Reilly launched a jihad as you put it against Pepsi Co for sponsoring Ludacris who he characterized as a gangsta rapper and Pepsi dropped him in large part because of it
Don't underestimate them

Also: Hollywood and Theater Chains are total *****es all you need is some threat of major violence from some fringe white supremacy/white sepratist/christian identity group and you can all but guarantee some theater chains may decline to show the movie in certain areas or AT ALL like with "The Interview"(the later of which I doubt will happen but a bad precedent has been set)

Add an almost guaranteed Boycott championed by Fox, Breitbart, and the rest and it looks like a bad situation is going to present itself in terms of box office take

Last edited:
A) How much will ratings and internet traffic skyrocket from the controversy Fox and other conservative outlets manufacture?

How is Black Panther a significantly more high profile controversy than any of the other 3000 things they whine and ***** about daily? It's not gonna raise their ratings.

Add an almost guaranteed Boycott championed by Fox, Breitbart, and the rest and it looks like a bad situation is going to present itself in terms of box office take

You mean like the boycott to get Stephen Colbert fired which did absolutely nothing?

Dude, I'm not sure if you're just trolling at this point but MULTIPLE PEOPLE have said repeatedly why it doesn't matter and you still seem to be obsessing over it.

A) How much will ratings and internet traffic skyrocket from the controversy Fox and other conservative outlets manufacture? Fox also has a movie wing and it might use the controversy to help promote any 20th century fox movies or other conservative made movie (probably with a Murrica theme) that run at the same time as BP

B) Do those people not have kids? Do they not have coworkers and church goers they can influence? Block busters live on positive word of mouth

Food for thought: Bill O'Reilly launched a jihad as you put it against Pepsi Co for sponsoring Ludacris who he characterized as a gangsta rapper and Pepsi dropped him in large part because of it
Don't underestimate them

Also: Hollywood and Theater Chains are total *****es all you need is some threat of major violence from some fringe white supremacy/white sepratist/christian identity group and you can all but guarantee some theater chains may decline to show the movie in certain areas or AT ALL like with "The Interview"(the later of which I doubt will happen but a bad precedent has been set)

qCJH0B0.gif

*sigh* Fine. Only a lunatic would believe that all that would happen. Is that worded non-offensively enough?

How is Black Panther a significantly more high profile controversy than any of the other 3000 things they whine and ***** about daily?
the Name "Black Panther", the fantasy all-black Isolationist Utopia that has fought off influence of white people oh and the line of Black men that have held the title of Black Panther have fought and/or been killed by the kind of White men that conservatives Lionize So there's pretty much nothing for Fox and the like to use against the movie, nothing at all
It's not gonna raise their ratings.
You say that as if Fox News isn't routinely at the Top Of News Ratings. I posit that it is because of all the insane things they whine about incessantly that hey are routinely the leader in news ratings and generally by a very large amount over 2nd place. Never underestimate the power of hate http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/category/cable-news/

with that top spot power Fox is given undue trust and credibility and along with the Breitbarts and the Rush Limbaughs repeating what Fox says: subjects as cut and dry as Global Warming become controversial with misinformation being spread everywhere online, tv, and radio to the point where 40% of Americans polled by pew research believe its not happening at all! http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...e-in-climate-change-but-give-it-low-priority/
Conservative go to the cinema, conservative drink sodas like Pepsi, I don't think conservatives make up a significant % of comedy central's viewership at all. Comedy Central is practically a bastion of liberalism and everything. A better example is how coverage from Fox and conservative outlets of accusations levied at by Florida Family Association(classified as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center) pressured Kayak and Lowe's Hardware Store to stop Sponsoring a Muslim American Reality TV show http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Family_Association#Islamophobia http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...mer-sponsor/oOcxT9brPaL9d2IstpHeqM/story.html

but hey this is Marvel we're talking about so they are entirely immune somehow...
Dude, I'm not sure if you're just trolling at this point but MULTIPLE PEOPLE have said repeatedly why it doesn't matter and you still seem to be obsessing over it.
You all keep saying the same things but not really refuting my points and I think it's more than a little naive to think that "the average fox viewer is too old/probably wouldn't watch this anyways" makes the audience entirely irrelevant

No I'm not trolling but I might be a Lunatic as SuperFerret alludes either way I feel like I have said everything I can about the subject and regardless of whether I'm a loon or whether the rest of you have your heads in the sand, none of us has any power over the situation anyways lol

That said I'd like this thread to be preserved so we can see how wrong or right I was when BP's theater run concludes(I'm hoping I'm wrong but I really don't think so)

No it's that you've failed to provide any convincing evidence outside of repeatedly rambling and just repeating the same arguments over and over again.

Everyone's just sort of laughing because you're making a mountain out of a mole hill and then getting upset when nobody else agrees with the fear mongering.

No it's that you've failed to provide any convincing evidence outside of repeatedly rambling and just repeating the same arguments over and over again.

Everyone's just sort of laughing because you're making a mountain out of a mole hill and then getting upset when nobody else agrees with the fear mongering.
I'm not upset in the slightest

My final answer to this question:
The movie MUST be called Black Panther.

I've always wondered about this. I'm glad Marvel is being bold.

I remember reading/watching an interview with Kevin Fiege in which he mentioned that Marvel has a good relationship with Bill O Reilly and the guys at Fox (not to mention Bill had a cameo in Iron Man 2). There was also a clip from Bill O Reilly's show in which they mentioned both the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy.

I've always wondered about this. I'm glad Marvel is being bold.

I remember reading/watching an interview with Kevin Fiege in which he mentioned that Marvel has a good relationship with Bill O Reilly and the guys at Fox (not to mention Bill had a cameo in Iron Man 2). There was also a clip from Bill O Reilly's show in which they mentioned both the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy.
That's an element I had not considered, interesting.

It should definitely be called Black Panther.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"