Arrow Should There Be Superpowers On The Show?

I think it's more or less a given that they'll have more super powered characters.The question is will they wait for a certain season to let them trickle in,or wait for the raitings to slide.I'm guessing the latter.

I think it's more or less a given that they'll have more super powered characters.The question is will they wait for a certain season to let them trickle in,or wait for the raitings to slide.I'm guessing the latter.

It'll happen after a few seasons I'm pretty sure of it. You can do it without changing the tone of the show look Chronicle for example.

Maybe also experimentation with giving human beings superpowers.

I like that idea. Dinah could be one of the people experimented on and the scene could mimick the torture in The Longbow Hunters where Green Arrow rescues here. Except of course the result is her canary cry powers.

I see super powers as inevitable. Maybe not this season, the next, or the one after that, but I'd be surprised if we never get to see any fantastical elements. I don't expect laser beams to be thrown around, but they could start small with immortality, super strength or invulnerability. Things that aren't special effects heavy and easy to pull off, even in a grounded setting.

This show isn't for comic book fans alone, just as the Nolan Batman films. It's so anyone can access it.

Nolan took the stories of the comics and reinterpreted them in a way that anyone can access and take seriously, and envision logically in our reality. Arrow is trying to do the same.

If you want straight up adaptions of the comicbook material, that's why Warners has the DTV films. They're specifically for comic book fans.

Laurel having meta-human screaming powers won't really add much to the show. It would just undermine it.

There actually aren't that many super-powered characters within the 'Green Arrow' mythos. Some of the few that do have superpowers can be reinterpreted in realistic ways without losing anything about their characterization. I believe Deathstroke will be handled in this manner.

You talk like people who don't know of the character beforehand won't be able to accept that he's in a world of superpowered people. It certainly appealed to the people like myself who passed by it on a rack and picked it up. People will accept it if it's established. The Avengers is one of the highest grossing films of all time for a reason. Tell your story well and people won't care if there are super powers or not.

Green Arrow, like Batman, is a character who's appeal comes from overcoming the odds that are greatly not in his favor. That includes battling supernatural beings who are by all accounts out of his league. I love the show as is but I am very open to superpowered characters on this comic book show. I watch this for the same reason I watch The Lord Of The Rings or Harry Potter or The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I want to see an adaption of these characters and stories. If the stories are a no go then at least the characters should remain intact. Green Arrow himself is great. I want to see other characters from his mythos brought to life, including the ones WITH powers. Shado and Deathstroke are great non-powered characters but I also dig Brick and Doctor Light.

Nolan's Batman was high grossing as well. It was just a different approach to the material.

The show's producers have decided to emulate that approach. I just don't want to see the show betray it's own concept and undermine itself. That would indicate to me that the show is basically just selling itself out and is desperate for ratings. I don't care for gimmicks.

If they wanted a world were unrealistic elements and superpowers could exist, they should have crafted it that way from the start.

You must be pissed that they've already begun to introduce characters from Batman, Firestorm and the wider DCU.

Not really, because they've been adapted and changed to fit in with Arrow's universe.

Royal Flush Gang being the most drastic change thus far.

Nolan's Batman was high grossing as well. It was just a different approach to the material.

The show's producers have decided to emulate that approach. I just don't want to see the show betray it's own concept and undermine itself. That would indicate to me that the show is basically just selling itself out and is desperate for ratings. I don't care for gimmicks.

If they wanted a world were unrealistic elements and superpowers could exist, they should have crafted it that way from the start.

It still could be something that isnt that well known to the world yet. If they did introduce this concept they could always do it as something that is just now emerging and that very few individuals had in the past or that was covered up by the government or some kind of authority.

The producers marketed this show as grounded in the real world though. If they do drastically change up the approach, the payoff better be worth it.

Just randomly bringing in super-powered superhero cameos that have nothing to do with the Arrow storyline wouldn't be a worthwhile payoff. Smallville was guilty of this.

ugh...it's a SUPERHERO show...of course it should have super powered beings in it

Why? Introducing us to a world that appears like ours, then bringing in fantastical elements over time would work. It really depends on how the superpowers are put in the story. If all of a sudden aliens started popping up, then maybe that would be too much. But things like people getting abilities due to experimentation occur, it's not far fetched.

Plus, seeing Ollie beat superpowered foes can only make him look good.

Agreed. Why adapt a comic book if you're embarrassed about it? Make up a modern day Robin Hood story then. Not a pre-existing character with a built in fanbase. So far the only people I see who don't want this show to be like the comics are people who don't even like the comics. Might as well take suggestions for the Twilight movies from people who don't like those books. If having a successful tv series means cutting it out of the same mold as the CBS lineup then forget it.

Not that they have any less of a right to suggest than I do. It just feels like "Of course you think this is an improvement. You don't even like the guy."

Why? Introducing us to a world that appears like ours, then bringing in fantastical elements over time would work. It really depends on how the superpowers are put in the story. If all of a sudden aliens started popping up, then maybe that would be too much. But things like people getting abilities due to experimentation occur, it's not far fetched.

I'd have said 'could' instead. I know it sounds pedantic but it does affect the strength and conclusion one draws.

Plus, seeing Ollie beat superpowered foes can only make him look good.

I wouldn't necessarily say that's true either. One of the reasons why the action looks so good is because the the show has the time and money to shoot them properly instead of having to allocate such resources to computer effects.

And while you could argue that things like super strength don't require major CG effects, its 'one punch sends a guy flying' action style is hugely different from the more realistic, 'mult-hit combo and grapples' fight style the show currently uses.

Agreed. Why adapt a comic book if you're embarrassed about it? Make up a modern day Robin Hood story then. Not a pre-existing character with a built in fanbase. So far the only people I see who don't want this show to be like the comics are people who don't even like the comics. Might as well take suggestions for the Twilight movies from people who don't like those books. If having a successful tv series means cutting it out of the same mold as the CBS lineup then forget it.

Not that they have any less of a right to suggest than I do. It just feels like "Of course you think this is an improvement. You don't even like the guy."

Would be interesting to see how you came to that conclusion. Thus far, I don't recall anyone openly stating a dislike for any specific component of the Green Arrow comics or in its entirety.

I don't know why were all even arguing over super powers right now. I think its inevitable it will happen on the show at somepoint whether want want it or not but its not gonna be anytime soon.

Would be interesting to see how you came to that conclusion. Thus far, I don't recall anyone openly stating a dislike for any specific component of the Green Arrow comics or in its entirety.
I might be confusing threads here buy the impression I got is there are people who like maybe Year One or The Longbow Hunters or maybe even both but don't think much of the other books and don't think much of the character in the comics. Just because a book isn't as reknowned The Long Halloween or The Dark knight Returns doesnt mean GA doesnt have a lot of great runs on his titles.

That may even just be one guy saying this stuff. I've been doing a lot of arguing on these boards in favor of progress to an atmosphere closer to the books so after a while its a lot of "wouldn't it be better if" and "This is supposed to be like Nolan" and "Most of Green Arrow's villains don't have powers anyway".

Last edited:
I want the frist season to have no super villains and no super powered heroes, .

Let them make as many episodes with non powered DC villains (doesn't matter if they borrow some Batman villains after showing all the Green Arrow ones, or even some Other non powered DC villains.)

Let them gradually build up some super powered beings in the second season when they are running out of ideas to keep the popularity of the show, the if they show some team ups of Ollie with other super powered heroes against some other super powered villains, so be it.

This way there could be a different tone for each season.

Yes...eventually.

I think they should stick with this "no powers" rule for a while, at least a couple of seasons, but eventually you just have to raise the stakes or a show like this will get redundant.

Exactly. Mobsters and assassins would get old after a few seasons. This isn't Criminal Minds where it's the study of different types of criminals and there's not much room for Arrow to go past "Defeat mobster X and his bodyguard" without changing things up a lot.

I would like to see season three focus on some major non-powered DC threats like Deathstroke, Joker, and Lex Luthor. That way you cap off the no-powers basically with the greatest no-powers you have available, then introduce Vandal Savage and slowly reveal his advanced age in the fourth. That way they'd introduce the metaphysical aspect of his character without it being jarring.

I think first two seasons no super powers then slowly introduce it into the 3rd season, Vandal Savage is the perfect choice for the first super powered villain as I've said in this thread previously. I do want them to do an idea asked of Supermax even f it's not super powered villains but just really skilled villains i.e. Deathstroke etc

I just think bringing super powers in, depending on how they do it, could be a jump the shark moment. If or when it happens, they need to plan it very carefully.

I just think bringing super powers in, depending on how they do it, could be a jump the shark moment. If or when it happens, they need to plan it very carefully.

Yeah I don't think anyone wants them to just throw them in. I really do think if/when it does happen they'll plan it.

And then they can have Elongated Man making a guest appearance :)

You know I have thought of a way to slowly introduce Superman if he were to ever appear. You could do TV reports on a flying man in Metropolis etc and maybe end it with an interview on TV with the Man of Steel with Ollie watching he knows the game is changing, of course I don't actually think they'll ever get to use him but just an idea.

Nolan cheats. He grounds the abilities but there's still something going on there. People like Batman could push their limits. Scarecrows toxin, Microwave weapons, Neutron bombs, Bane's Mask, and Dent's face.

I expect them to start out small and have reasons. Kinda like alphas. Super strength just starts out as adrenaline. Healing is some kind of genetic therapy. Maybe it will all be reasons for Ollie to upgrade his gear and get some very special arrows in his bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"