Arrow Should There Be Superpowers On The Show?

Nolan cheats. He grounds the abilities but there's still something going on there. People like Batman could push their limits. Scarecrows toxin, Microwave weapons, Neutron bombs, Bane's Mask, and Dent's face.

Except things like hallucinogenic toxins and neutron bombs do exist. As for Dent's face, he's a burn victim. The severity is simply exaggeration/creative license of something that exists in real life.

Tbh I find it less believable when someone i.e. a Cop whose trained cant even shoot someone, I think nearly every film or TV show in the works is guilty of that :oldrazz:

Tbh I find it less believable when someone i.e. a Cop whose trained cant even shoot someone, I think nearly every film or TV show in the works is guilty of that :oldrazz:

Ironically, that's truth in television: most firefights involving police involve a whole lot of not-hitting-anything. Handguns just aren't that accurate, and most cops don't have realistic enough training to keep the adrenaline from destroying their aim.

While I would like some low level supernatural elements brought into the show, I can see why any attempt to implement them could cause an awful lot of havoc. At the same time, if the show is going to continue killing non-powered anatgonist or having them disappear, then they need to change up some of the bad-guys to at least have some staying power.

For instance, Vandal Savage could make a noteworthy villain if the built up an aura of mystery about him before confirming that yes, he is immortal. You could then have his power only be displayed in that he doesn't stay dead-you could even play it so he doesn't regenerate, he just dies, and then wakes up healthy. And seeing as how this is the same network with a low-rent vampire show on it, an experienced, veteran immortal could be someone who could go head to head with Ollie in a fight and keep coming back.

Deathstroke and his family being enhanced warriors could work as well, but this would depend on the execution. Having the Ravager and Rose appear as his potential rivals and progeny could add in some even more twisted family dynamics to the mix.

I'd mostly try and avoiding adding in any tech-heavy bad guys, though. There stuff could be too easily stolen and used by other characters. However, they've got a Huntress appearing, so maybe you can introduce some of the more gimmicky Gotham bad-guys, provided this show is willing to eventually let the Bat-family itself make an appearance at some point. Having Arkham escapees having a greater reputation for both costumes and asymetrical warfare would allow for some nice moments.

Ironically, that's truth in television: most firefights involving police involve a whole lot of not-hitting-anything. Handguns just aren't that accurate, and most cops don't have realistic enough training to keep the adrenaline from destroying their aim.

Fair enough but sometimes the person they're trying to shoot can be dead infront of them and it happens with machine guns n you just think yeah right.

What sort of a comic book fan would say 'no'?

Depends on the superpower, but I'm more inclined to say no. Just for the fact that they look like crap on a tv show. It's difficult enough for movies to pull them off with a massive budget. On tv they look even worse.

In my opinion, towards the end of its run. I don't think it should tackle any superhero or villain that is at least in part defined by their powers or would be compromised if they did a non-powered version of that character.

However if the show goes a few seasons and it's in its last run then I think it could benefit from acknowledging the rest of the DC universe and adapting superpowered characters for its show (though they should probably scale back on the use of powers so it doesn't become power heavy and jarring compared to earlier series).

That's where I am. After a season or two, start introducing some is it/is it not? superhuman stuff, maybe a cybernetic here or there. Always keep it low key. No Superman and Flash and stuff. Maybe Spectre if it seems like it may just be in Ollie's head or something. Black Canary should be the flashiest thing on the show imho.

I wonder then though do they take superpowered villains and change them so there powers are grounded in reality by tech or something or do we start to get super powers? There are a ton of people without powers they can use though so I wouldn't worry about them running out.

I like the powers by sci fi and technology, I think its the best way to compromise. It would still ground the show in "reality" sort of, than aliens and other superpowered species.

I wouldn't mind if they stole the MGH idea from Marvel (Mutant Growth Hormone. Give it a different name of course) and use that to bring in super powered villains on the show. Maybe it's just a drug being sold and used by people, including criminals who want to have an edge over Green Arrow.

This would be cool, already sounds similar to
whats happening in vertigo. Episode 12

If that's the way it is at least there's still the comics for the real Green Arrow

What real GA lol, the new52 sucks for GA. And that book is filled with so many superpowered villains, so much more than the GA in oldDCU.

Last edited:
Yes, this show have been taking place in the proper DC universe, not some grounded Nolan influenced place. The perfect way to have done that was in the five years Oliver had been on the island, that's when all the big stuff happened - the emergence of Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, etc... That would have made the world seem that much more alien to Oliver, plus it would have made the show seem less dour and joyless.

I say yes and no. Keep the powers away from the show, but show the audience who are watching the show that Arrow lives in a world where people like that exist.
For example have someone at Queen Industries reading a paper we get the front page view and see that the paper is the Daily Planet, and the headline story is about Superman. Or a news report from Central City that The Flash saved the city from Captain Cold.
Not a superpower thing but this would be really cool as well, in the show at some point if and when Walter comes back there is a meeting taking place between Queen Industries, Wayne Enterprise, Kord Industries, and Lex Corp

After the horrible "firefly" episode, yeah I say this show needs superpowers.

I say yes and no. Keep the powers away from the show, but show the audience who are watching the show that Arrow lives in a world where people like that exist.
For example have someone at Queen Industries reading a paper we get the front page view and see that the paper is the Daily Planet, and the headline story is about Superman. Or a news report from Central City that The Flash saved the city from Captain Cold.
Not a superpower thing but this would be really cool as well, in the show at some point if and when Walter comes back there is a meeting taking place between Queen Industries, Wayne Enterprise, Kord Industries, and Lex Corp
Great ideas man. :)

This is a tricky question. I like that Arrow is dealing with non-powered heroes and villains. The problem would be with adding powered beings would be how to balance that with Arrows abilites.

Personally I think they should keep this one grounded in one side of the DCU and if the opprotunity arises (which I hope it does) make another show with a powered hero in the opposite side of the DCU.

I would love a show that would be in the magical side of the DCU because I don't think there's been a good show (outside of the cartoons) that's done that part justice. Maybe something like this perhaps.

Arrow would just have to step up his game in how to deal with them. batman fights powered villains just fine, Arrow can do the same.

In the cartoons and comics that's true. But tv is different. I agree he would have to step up his game but to do that believably might be a challenge. Not saying it can't be done but it needs to be done right.

No, superpowers shouldn't be used in the show. The covert stuff in Young Justice can be applied to Arrow here. I'd rather see non-powered DCU heroes and villains since they're going for realism.

I would only like superpowers that could POSSIBLY be realistic in Arrow's world, via science or tech as said before. The science thing can be really stretched, though. (See Smallville and a lot of other Sci-Fi). For example, if wanted, the show could totally get away with The Flash because his powers could be explained somehow, just not add the speed-force or make him as fast as Superman. Also, I think we could well possibly see someone like Cyborg again. Honestly? I want Amanda Waller on the show over anyone super-powered right now.

Why does Amanda Waller need to exist if there are no superpowers? She can't be Secretary of State for Metahuman Affairs, she can't be White Queen of Checkmate, as it is mainly metahumans, and the Suicide Squad won't really be as necessary as with the "neuter powers" approach, they'd end up closer to the Secret Six.

Who would actually be good to see, minus Bane, that is.

Well you could play Waller as a more real world/gritty government agent than super spook who tackles metahumans. You could portray her as viewing masked heroes like Green Arrow as home grown terrorists. She could play a role if the League of Shadows are behind the list and other things. Checkmate (or Arrow's version of it) could play as an opposing force to the LoS and threats like them.

At the end of the Vertigo episode, it looks like the Count may be getting similar abilities to the traditional version (using an anti-vertigo prosthesis to induce vertigo in others)

Except things like hallucinogenic toxins and neutron bombs do exist. As for Dent's face, he's a burn victim. The severity is simply exaggeration/creative license of something that exists in real life.

By cheating, I mean that Nolan skirts the how. Or to create a character like Two-Face he goes burn victim. So he could have brought in Freeze and have him keep most of his abilities but he would throw in a cheat to make it happen in story.

In Inception, we don't actually know how the device could work. We see a box and tubes.

I voted for no, never but perhaps maybe later on. The thing is, they need to keep the real world setting they have in my opinion. Anyone expecting more, is basically expecting the show to be something it isn't.

However, if for instance, Vertigo getting overloaded with drugs gave him some unique ability to disorientate, and they could explain it as "this happened so now he can do this" in a believable way, certainly why not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"