The Dark Knight Should WB change the marketing or keep it the same because of Ledger's death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way that the poll looks, you are asking a double-barreled question ('should we do this, or that?' and then asking 'yes' or 'no') so I am confused....

You should have changed your poll to be more specific...Yes, change it, or Yes, leave it alone?

they should focus on dent's campain now. Imagine the viral game. Would it be cool if the game had us print flyers of Dent and we had to hang em up around our town. That way everbody can play.

Leave it as it is but wait a week or two before starting it up again.
If we can't handle our emotions for a simple VC, then how are we going to handle the movie itself? The Joker is the star villain in the movie, he should be kept under the spotlight, not shoved into a dark closet because his actor recently passed away.

You should have changed your poll to be more specific...Yes, change it, or Yes, leave it alone?

It wont let me change it. I tried, One for my grammar,(sorry) and two to make it more specific like you said.

If anyone knows how to change it tell me. Or do you want me to start a new poll?

It wont let me change it. I tried, One for my grammar,(sorry) and two to make it more specific like you said.

If anyone knows how to change it tell me. Or do you want me to start a new poll?
Start a new one:yay:

Yeah I agree with what's generally been said, they shouldn't change anything. Keep everything exactly as they planned; Heath said himself many times how hard the role was on him physically and mentally, and for something that he worked incredibly hard on, they should just downplay all of it?

To me I`m not really against then changing the marketing or stopping it because of ledgers loss, I guess the WB just doesnt want ANYONE at all to seem like its disrepecting to anybody to continue so i can understand that besides everything we got in december seemed like enough closure to me...however storywise i think it should go on as planned, ive said it before but if it has to come to recasting in the third for the jokers small role then so be it.

To me I`m not really against then changing the marketing or stopping it because of ledgers loss, I guess the WB just doesnt want ANYONE at all to seem like its disrepecting to anybody to continue so i can understand that besides everything we got in december seemed like enough closure to me...however storywise i think it should go on as planned, ive said it before but if it has to come to recasting in the third for the jokers small role then so be it.
That would be really weird,but I guess you gotta do what ya gotta do, right?

Heath is gone, but The Joker LIVES.

Although I am deeply saddened by the passing of Heath Ledger, I have to say that changing the marketing to limit Joker exposure is both stupid and overly cautious.

This was not a "safe" role that Heath took. It was challenging and grueling and if you read interviews with Heath, he shows how much work he poured into the character to finally give us something that was actually true to its source material.

Heath was obviously immensely proud of this role. He sacrificed a great deal of himself to do it correctly.

We are all very excited to see his interpretation of the Joker. It is one of the few positives left for everyone in the aftermath of this tragic situation.

To suddenly hide it from the public is beyond riddiculous. It is a misstep and a slap in the face to the fans and the work of this great actor.

I understand that the campaign is set to end in March. Let it run it's course, but please do not change what has already been set in motion.​

:hoboj:

The trailer is now back up on the main page www.thedarkknight.com...might mean that they are getting more comfortable with showing Heath as the Joker...maybe more viral tomorrow? Let's say around noon (EST)? Yes...yes.

nice, at least we are seeing some sort of progress. Thanks for the update.

I would have to agree with S.D. Plissken.

Let the fans do what they love. And is to "geek" (and I am saying this in a good way) about these type of films.

We loved doing these virals, and they made us feel more involved in the film.

Yes a tragedy did happen, but to honor a man that put so much time and dedication to film is to let him live in the hearts and minds of the fans that loved him as the Joker.

http://livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/03/07/A_question_of_taste_Warner_Bros_struggling_to_market_Ledgers_last_film

A question of taste: The struggle to market Ledger’s last film

Jesse Perez
javascript:changePhoto('next');

1 hour 13 minutes ago.

When Warner Brothers held an emergency meeting recently, there was only one item on the agenda – how to market Heath Ledger’s last film, The Dark Knight, while avoiding the impression that the studio is exploiting his death.
The Dark Knight, scheduled for release in July, is set to be a major blockbuster for the crucial American summer period.
But Warner Bros fear if Ledger is featured too prominently in the marketing campaign and associated merchandising, they could be criticised for capitalising on his death.
Added to the conundrum is the dark, diabolical edge Ledger imbued in his character, the Joker, a creation that created distress and turbulence for the sensitive actor. There was even suggestion that his immersion into the role proved to be disastrous to his mental health.
Shortly after completion of principal photography for The Dark Knight, Ledger described the character as a “psychopathic, mass-murdering, schizophrenic clown with zero empathy” and said his method approach to the work made it hard for him to detach.
“I probably slept an average of two hours a night,” he said. “I couldn't stop thinking. My body was exhausted, and my mind was still going.”
Plans have already been scrapped for several viral marketing campaigns where consumers would receive recorded messages from Ledger’s Joker, and Warner Bros are debating the green light for a number of merchandising campaigns that feature Ledger’s likeness.
“You don't want people to think you're exploiting his death,” a source at the studio said.
“But his character is part of the movie and he was on board with wanting to do this with his character. And if [the studio] doesn't release the merchandise... pirates would come out of the woodwork, and then it's completely out of control.”

After 9/11 producers went back and re-edited Spiderman to remove the scene where he captures the Goblin between the World Trade Center. Shortly after Howard Stern said "How could they do that? If i watched a movie shortly after the attacks and saw the towers i would stand up and applaud." I feel the same way about Ledger. As cruel as it sounds the show must go on. If he was on board, then the studio should do what they htink he would have wanted. While i agree that using his voice in the virals wouldn't be a smart idea right now, i think using his likeness later down the road closer to opening day would be ok.

He doesn't capture the goblin, silly, he captures a helicopter. :)

After 9/11 producers went back and re-edited Spiderman to remove the scene where he captures the Goblin between the World Trade Center. Shortly after Howard Stern said "How could they do that? If i watched a movie shortly after the attacks and saw the towers i would stand up and applaud." I feel the same way about Ledger. As cruel as it sounds the show must go on. If he was on board, then the studio should do what they htink he would have wanted. While i agree that using his voice in the virals wouldn't be a smart idea right now, i think using his likeness later down the road closer to opening day would be ok.

I agree with you to an extent, The twin towers was a national catastrophe. So I can see why it was cut out, had it be placed in the DVD as an extra, that would have been good. Kind of a "This wasn't the right time to see this until now" deal.

Ledger is a little different. Since it wasn't a national thing, even though I myself am very sad he's gone, and the nature of his job, it all must go on. I understand if they had to cut a couple things out of the viral at the time, but movie and promotion wise, it would be an incredible tribute to a talented man.

His family has given WB their blessing in going forth with the marketing efforts as if Heath had never passed. It's a very difficult position for WB to be in.

A small percentage of the public will know that Heath's family has given their blessing and the rest will raise hell that WB is exploiting Heath's death and that itself will be a PR nightmare.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out, WB will do the right thing.

God Bless Heath...:hoboj:

Ledger is a little different. Since it wasn't a national thing, even though I myself am very sad he's gone, and the nature of his job, it all must go on. I understand if they had to cut a couple things out of the viral at the time, but movie and promotion wise, it would be an incredible tribute to a talented man.

i've been saying that all along. i see where warner brothers is coming from, but its not like they were just about to start the campaign. the posters have already been released (and i haven't seen, but hopefully still up in theaters?) with ledger on them. they aren't beginning anything, just continuing what was already started, which is respectful to ledger.

I feel the same way.

The show must go on. And I feel that the fans would appreciate it if the studio went on as planned. That is what Heath would have wanted I believe.

i've been saying that all along. i see where warner brothers is coming from, but its not like they were just about to start the campaign. the posters have already been released (and i haven't seen, but hopefully still up in theaters?) with ledger on them. they aren't beginning anything, just continuing what was already started, which is respectful to ledger.

Yup that stuff is still all up in movie theatres. Everytime I go to the movies, I stop and take a look at The Joker and have a memory.

I don't think it makes much sense to change it.

The Joker has always been a huge ****ing character, and everyone's been wondering how Ledger was going to pull it off. Whether or not the campaign switches, people are still going to focus on Joker. Changing it would just upset what was already put into action.

I really, really sincerely hope they don't switch it up. They should have campaigns for both Harvey Dent, AND the Joker. Please? :applaud

EDIT: I saw in one of the articles posted, that someone thought it would be appalling to see Ledger's Joker on a poster or billboard. Does anyone know why? I always figured it'd be more like Warner Bros. was just telling everyone that while Ledger's dead, his last complete performance isn't going to be tampered with...or something...you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"