The Dark Knight The Dark Knight Anime Tie in DVD (Gotham Knight)

thedarks0ldier

Sidekick
Reaction score
Those of you that attended the Whysoserious.com on the ground may remember a tiny man walking around with flyers to participate in a paid survey before the whole event went down. Well my friend and I participated on that survey and I think you guys should know what went on.

First
We waited in the Hall way of the OMNI Hotel on the fourth floor until the supervisor from wb came by. You had to be 18 or older to participate I asked her if it was ok if my little brother could sit in, since I could not (and would not) leave him by himself. The said yes and he sat quietly as we discussed.

Six of us attended and we sat in a big board room with about six clerks taking down about every word we said.

The discussion was about our opinions on anime and they asks us all sorts of question, such as what we liked and didn't like, what we would buy, what we look for in anime. I not being a big fan of anime was surprised that I knew alot of anime and even was a fan of alot of anime (G-Force, Dragon Ball Z, Ronin, Cowboy B Bop, Akira) and the six of us produced more information then the apparently 20 people that were there in the earlier focus group.

Then the focus leader said "What if we were to take a western character, and..."
Then I cut her off, saying, "Like Batman, in the direct to DVD anime Tie in to the Dark Knight? Due to be released next year."

Then she looked at me like I was psychic, because she turned to page on the big board and revealed the possible titles for the DVD;

BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT CHRONICLES
BATMAN ANIME: THE DARK KNIGHT CHTONICLES
BATMAN ANIME
and, I swear, I am not even kidding
BAT-IME' (batman+anime)

Which we told them, firmly, it would be redundant, stupid, and seen as a joke. We told them Bat-ime' would be the joke title that people would give it if it sucked. I hope the got the message. We all agreed that the best title would be simply;

THE DARK KNIGHT CHRONICLES

Then she asked us if they were to apply the animated concept to other characters to Superman or Green Lantern (I got so excited when they said Green Lantern) what they should call the series and here were their options

DC UNIVERSE ANIME
ANIME DC UNIVERSE
DC UNIVERSE ANIMATED

We shot down those and encouraged them to go with our suggestion;

DC UNIVERSE EXPANDED

She also said that this would combine and link all the movies together. We told them they better not mess this up, and that there are sacred things that you can not mess with Batman, and told them how when we found out that Batman was being done in Anime that we were kind of offended at first, and we told them what we wanted out of it and what we expected from it.

She didnt give names but she said that the DVD is going to be a series of six seperate stories that tie into one story, and that it would lead to THE DARK KNIGHT, and each story would be written and drawn by famous "fan favorite" writers and animators.

At four we were thanked let go and paid $50 in cash. Then she said that she thinks this room successfully killed any chance of the word "anime" being anywhere in the title.

I hope we got the message across.

SWEET! Too bad they didn't screen any clips for ya

You did a splendid job, you did this board proud. :up:

I still dont get why all new cartoons nowadays have to be stylized like anime, the new transformers, spiderman, the batman and now this, unless this is gone to be proper eastern anime, then i apologise for my rant :woot:

Those of you that attended the Whysoserious.com on the ground may remember a tiny man walking around with flyers to participate in a paid survey before the whole event went down. Well my friend and I participated on that survey and I think you guys should know what went on.

First
We waited in the Hall way of the OMNI Hotel on the fourth floor until the supervisor from wb came by. You had to be 18 or older to participate I asked her if it was ok if my little brother could sit in, since I could not (and would not) leave him by himself. The said yes and he sat quietly as we discussed.

Six of us attended and we sat in a big board room with about six clerks taking down about every word we said.

The discussion was about our opinions on anime and they asks us all sorts of question, such as what we liked and didn't like, what we would buy, what we look for in anime. I not being a big fan of anime was surprised that I knew alot of anime and even was a fan of alot of anime (G-Force, Dragon Ball Z, Ronin, Cowboy B Bop, Akira) and the six of us produced more information then the apparently 20 people that were there in the earlier focus group.

Then the focus leader said "What if we were to take a western character, and..."
Then I cut her off, saying, "Like Batman, in the direct to DVD anime Tie in to the Dark Knight? Due to be released next year."

Then she looked at me like I was psychic, because she turned to page on the big board and revealed the possible titles for the DVD;

BATMAN ANIME
BAT-IME' (batman+anime)

Which we told them, firmly, it would be redundant, stupid, and seen as a joke. We told them Bat-ime' would be the joke title that people would give it if it sucked. I hope the got the message. We all agreed that the best title would be simply;

Then she asked us if they were to apply the animated concept to other characters to Superman or Green Lantern (I got so excited when they said Green Lantern) what they should call the series and here were their options

DC UNIVERSE ANIME
ANIME DC UNIVERSE
DC UNIVERSE ANIMATED

DC UNIVERSE EXPANDED

She also said that this would combine and link all the movies together. We told them they better not mess this up, and that there are sacred things that you can not mess with Batman, and told them how when we found out that Batman was being done in Anime that we were kind of offended at first, and we told them what we wanted out of it and what we expected from it.

She didnt give names but she said that the DVD is going to be a series of six seperate stories that tie into one story, and that it would lead to THE DARK KNIGHT, and each story would be written and drawn by famous "fan favorite" writers and animators.

At four we were thanked let go and paid $50 in cash. Then she said that she thinks this room successfully killed any chance of the word "anime" being anywhere in the title.

Sounds like you did an awesome job to me :-)

Bravo i woulld love to see the same kind of thought development that was done with the animatrix put into this. Wha 6 stories would u all want to be seen? I mean one would probally be Batman going after someone who got out of Arkham during Begins.

the problem here is anime, not what they're calling it.

As long as there are good graphics and lip synch- don't care really. Just no big flashy lights radiating off of characters screaming something, lol.

But, fan favorite writers? Oh hell yeah!!! It would be a miracle if one of those writers is Jeph Loeb. I hear that, I might faint- that's how excited I'd be.

Good work.

Did they say anything about a release date?

I don't know if this guy was in your group or one at a different time but he gave a similar report
CHECK THIS LITTLE BIT OUT

I went to a focus group yesterday in a near by hotel. The topic was animation, specifically anime. We talked about Robotech, Voltron, Akira, Spirited Away, etc.

I brought up how there are plans for an anime version of Batman and from that point on the girl leading the focus grouped continued to ask our opinions of what we thought of them taking an popular American concept and making it anime. Someone else in the group said that it already existed with "The Batman" to which I said was crap and that they turned the Riddler into an emo drag queen (I think I got term from this site).

I found that very interesting and it turned out was whole point of the focus group. They unveiled several titles for this Batman DVD prequel, one being "Batman: The Dark Knight Chronicles"

It turns out it will be one story arc with six episodes all individually directed by six different leading directors from Japan.

"It turns out it will be one story arc with six episodes all individually directed by six different leading directors from Japan."

That sounds good. I'm an anime watcher, I'll admit it. I love watching anime in their original language with good subtitles. However, I'm kinda not too fond of the anime-style western shows up now, like the fantastic four cartoon.

Hopefully, this one will be different and actually have good writing, instead of focusing too much on the style of drawing.

He must have been in the 12:00 PM group, I heard nothing of this "emo Riddler" during my focus group.

Glad you told them to keep "anime" out of the title, but why didn't you go far enough to tell them no anime in Batman at ALL? :csad:

Glad you told them to keep "anime" out of the title, but why didn't you go far enough to tell them no anime in Batman at ALL? :csad:
We told them how dangerous it could be, and that could offend a large fan base, and we told them how much we LOVE western art, but I am sure that they have already made all the arraingments and deals with the various studios and designers and they probably have already begun work, so they know how we feel, but I think there is nothing even they could do about that now.

How fortunate no one is forcing ya'll to look at it. :o

I'm not a big fan of anime either, but TRUE, artistic anime is an absolute beaut to watch, and I think it will compliment Batman's world very well in a stylistic sense.

Animatrix was a wonderful addition, and shows what can be done with great talent, regardless of animation design.

it'll probably come out around april or june.

First

BATMAN ANIME
BAT-IME' (batman+anime)

DC UNIVERSE ANIME
ANIME DC UNIVERSE
DC UNIVERSE ANIMATED

DC UNIVERSE EXPANDED

Pretty cool man, I trust you in what you've told her by anime. However, I wouldn't mind watching a batman orientated anime that's simular to the hbo spawn cartoons which they used to give late at night. I hope the anime, is bloody, dark, crime driven and of course bad ass. Any chances of that anime being rated R? because that would be awesome. I would like to see batman fighting anime style, meaning doing things that is only possible in an anime. I would also love to see alot of mob element in those anime. Hopefully they won't messed up.

It's sort of pointless to call anything "Batman Anime: The Dark Knight Chronicles." It's like calling the new SM cartoon "The American-Animated Spectacular Spider-Man." Erroneous and pointless to the material within. If the material is good, the artistry will mean screw-all: I'm a fan of anime as opposed to the somewhat stiff style of American animation and LOVED Fox's Batman animation. Still do- that's how well-written and noir the experience was. I just don't see the issue with trying something different. After years upon years of the same thing, a little side-story with new animation will not be murdering kittens. I'd rather fret over whether we're talking about another MK: The Journey Begins in terms of plotholes.

I do, however, commend you on giving your honest thoughts on "Bat-ime." If there wasn't enough derision for the art form in the comic community, that would definitely stir up more. A bit brutal, but that they know they won't have an easy time at persuading people may squeeze some better ideas out of them.

Nothing wrong with anime style. Not all of it as rediculous as Teen Titans. In fact Teen Titans had a pretty over-exaggerated anime look.

Think more along the lines of Akira, or Cowboy Bebop, or Ghost in the Shell. That would look really cool.

Also you should have went with 'DC Expanded Universe' that way it would sort of fit in in that you would have the DCAU for B:TAS, S:TAS, JLU etc... and then the DCEU for the film series' and their spin-offs and stuff.

If it's a mature anime style, I can stomach it. If it's that horrible **** they're dishing out today, no thank you.

When he said they are probably going to get fan favorites kinda like in the Animatrix episodes. I know some people will give me **** for this but I forget his name. Who is the one that did a short for Animatrix and created Aeon Flux? I always felt his style was kinda weird with the super long legs/arms and anorexic bodies but It would be cool to at least see some concept art of his take on the Joker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"