"Shutdown Initiated by the NT Authority System"

Dave McFly

Sexy Badass!!
Reaction score
I just got home from an employee get together and booted up my PC while it was booting up I was going in the next room to turn on the AC and came back to this:

x5ci6s.png

the counter would count down and the system would reboot. after the reboot after windows was finishing loading up it would happen again. I found out that when the pop up appeared I could enter 'shutdown -a' in the RUN box and the system would no longer reboot. I ran full sweep of AVG and Spybot Search and Destroy with updates and nothing bad was found. I tried to install Malwarebytes but it would not run (got a runtime error about something being out of date). on top of that I cannot do the following:

cut or copy paste anything
cannot run any searches
cannot run windows update
cannot open any videos or music files
and I cannot stream any media to the PS3 (the 'computer name' does not even show up on the PS3 dash).

normally I would just wipe the C drive and re install winodws but I have files pics and videos that are on that drive that I would love to remove and put on another drive but with cut/paste disabled that makes that task impossible. so I would be open to ANY ideas, by the way I am running Windows XP service pack 3 and the PC is a custom built by me and is only a little over a year old and has had NO problems like this before.

If your computer is constantly attempting to shutdown
or reboot, quickly go to:

Start > Run and type: CMD , and hit enter.
This opens the Command Prompt window.

Then type: shutdown -a , and hit enter.

This should halt the rebooting problem.

Then immediately turn-on Windows XP's built-in Firewall:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp

A tool is available to remove Blaster worm and Nachi worm infections from computers
that are running Windows 2000 or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833330

alas none of those work the 1st link said i was either in safe mode or my update installer was not installed correctly, 3rd link would only work in IE but when I clicked on it in IE nothing was there, and I already know about the 'shutdown -a' thing as I posted it in my first post, man I cannot belive how messed up my PC is it was running JUST fine in the morning before I left for the work party.

I knew you said it, it was just a cut and paste for easier access.

I don't know what to tell you, really, except go into safemode, and try to install some kind of antivirus or spyware or something to that effect, or it's a clean install for you, IMO.

You can always try to replace critical XP Files by doing sfc /scannow in CMD or from the XP disk, you can always do system reinstall. Another option if ya know DOS, and see if it lets you move files to another directory.

You can also try AVAST! bootup scan as well.

I would suggest downloading MalwareBytes Anti-Malware free scanner onto a USB memory stick from a working PC and transfer that to yours. Boot up into safe mode and install it. You can download the software from http://www.malwarebytes.org/
The detection rules will be a bit out of date (and I am assuming you can not run your computer using safe mode with networking) but run a full scan anyway. It might just find something...

Good luck.

Did you say you were running Windows XP? That might be your problem.
I was gonna say something like, " 1999 called and they want their OS back." But that would be low-class and mean... ;)

Did you say you were running Windows XP? That might be your problem.
I was gonna say something like, " 1999 called and they want their OS back." But that would be low-class and mean... ;)

actually funny guy I am putting Win 7 on it but I just have not had the extra $$$ to get it, I DO have it on the laptop I am using to type this message :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"