SIDEKICK: The Movie...

victory man

Civilian
Reaction score
There's a new, original, totally kick ass superhero movie shooting in Toronto, Canada, called "SIDEKICK". It's an indie production through and through, but it's got some pretty awesome name talent involved and a great freakin' twist to boot.

Here's the synopsis:

Mild-mannered computer consultant Norman Neale has two great loves in this cruel world: Comic books and his office's effervescent main receptionist, Andrea Hicks. Norman spends his days dreaming of Andrea from the isolation of his cubicle and his nights dreaming of fighting crime from the solitude of his apartment.

Then one fateful day, Norman discovers that a fellow co-worker, Victor Ventura, a swaggering, pretty-boy salesman, has slight telekinetic abilities beyond his understanding. After discussing his mind-blowing discovery with his only friend Chuck, a know-it-all comic book store owner, Norman comes to the outlandish conclusion that he should train Victor to become a real-life superhero by helping him refine and expand his extraordinary ability. Norman envisions an exciting new future for himself battling the city's criminal elements as Victor's faithful sidekick.

But as Victor grows in power Norman is faced with the heartbreaking realization that not all people with extraordinary abilities are meant to be heroes.

So what's the twist? Well...instead of being your typical origin of a superhero film, SIDEKICK is...get this...an origin of a supervillain film. Cool. Kinda like how Lex Luthor became Lex Luthor.

DANIEL BALDWIN, the Baldwin brother from such hits as Homicide: Life on the Streets and John Carpenter's Vampires, recently joined the cast, relishing the chance to play a different type of character for him - not a cop or a killer but a sarcastic, eccentric comic book store owner.

Also, KEN LASHLEY, the supertalented comic book artist behind some really excellent X-men and Spiderman comics and founder of Draxhall (www.draxhall.com), makes a cameo appearance as himself.

The film will finish shooting in a couple weeks. Look for it to be ready in the early fall. If you get the chance, check out the website. Lots of awesome pictures and a daily Film Diary written by cast and crew that's totally hilarious.

http://www.sidekickmovie.com

thanks for your kind words. sidekick is a real labour of love. it's a superhero movie made by people of who love superhero movies. it's inspiring to see that there are people out there who are willing to give the film a chance. especially inspiring considering the fact that this genre is completely dominated by name franchises. keep checking out the site for updates. a trailer should be coming in the near future.

been a long, long time since my last post. what can i say, post-production sure does take a whole lot o' time (especially on an indie where people are working for free).

just wanted to let you all know that SIDEKICK is coming along quite nicely and that a TEASER TRAILER HAS FINALLY BEEN POSTED ON THE SITE!!!

check it out at...www.sidekickmovie.com.

it's pretty short and low res (a higher res version is coming soon), but there's some pretty cool stuff to see. enjoy!

victory man said:
been a long, long time since my last post. what can i say, post-production sure does take a whole lot o' time (especially on an indie where people are working for free).

just wanted to let you all know that SIDEKICK is coming along quite nicely and that a TEASER TRAILER HAS FINALLY BEEN POSTED ON THE SITE!!!

check it out at...www.sidekickmovie.com.

it's pretty short and low res (a higher res version is coming soon), but there's some pretty cool stuff to see. enjoy!

Wow, definitely looks interesting. Will this be outsourced to video stores also, such as Hollywood Video? The reason I ask is because i work there know and therefore get film rentals for free and would definitely be willing to use my time to watch the movie. It looks like a pretty interesting directorial debut.

wasn't there a movie called "sidekick" with Chuck Norris?

I remember being a huge rip-off of karate Kid.

Yeah, it was with Chuck Norris and Johnathan Brandis (sp?) and the kid had asthma but like idolized Chuck norris and would always daydream about a series of adventures with chuck, a lot of karate and war movies and stuff. And he starts doing Karate and goes to the finals where his master for the master-partner kung fu tournament either doesn't get there or is disqualified or something, and he gets Chuck Norris (a spectator at the event) to help Brandis kick some ass.

Yeah it sucked and it was one of my little bros favorite movies. Im pretty sure i saw it like 8 times.

i'm not sure where it'll be distributed yet, ImTheWombat, but i certainly hope it ends up at your Hollywood Video.

we're just working out the final details of the VFX, SFX and score over the next month then we'll try our luck with distribs and festivals. a recent test screening of our rough cut (of people we did not know, i swear) went really really well. the audience just completely got it. it makes me extremely hopeful for the final product.

actually, the chuck norris movie was called SIDEKICKS. and it's too bad people may recall that film when they hear our title, but hey, as long as people are hearing our title.

Just letting everyone know that a NEW KICKASS TRAILER has now been posted on www.sidekickmovie.com. It's chock full of dialogue, VFX and actual storyline stuff. Much better than the montage teaser that's been posted for a couple of months.

Only a few weeks away from having all VFX shots fully completely finished. Then it's onto the final stages of sound and then voila a movie will be born. One year from the start of principal photography to finished film. Not bad for a VFX laden superhero film made for peanuts.

Oh, and thanks ImTheWombat for your reply. Sorry I didn't get to it sooner. Hopefully there'll be some news to report soon regarding distribution. Things are heating up.

Looks fun.

Someday we'll all look back and be like "Yeah I used to chat with him on the Hype."

Hello Again,

The time has FINALLY come to tell you all some VERY BIG NEWS…

SIDEKICK IS (nearly) DONE!

No, really, it is.

In fact, it’s so close to done that I can announce this…

SIDEKICK FUNDRAISER PREVIEW SCREENING!
Monday June 13, 2005
Isabel Bader Theatre
93 Charles Street West
(Between Bay & Queen's Park Circle @ Museum Subway Station)
8:00 P.M. SHARP (doors open at 7 P.M.)
Minimum Donation: $10.00 (payable at the door)
Tickets available exclusively through www.sidekickmovie.com

For those of you that reside in Toronto, this is a great chance for you to come out and support a true Indie in every sense of the word. Seriously, this was shot on weekends, financed on favours and credit cards, made by talented, passionate people - the whole works. And you know what? It actually turned out to be a real kickass little movie. It's a testament to the fact that people outside the system have the ability to make tight, technically competitive, exciting productions.

So how do I get tickets for me and all my family and friends?

The website only. There’s a link on the main page of the website (www.sidekickmovie.com) to a screening-ticket request page. The request form is self explanatory.

If you've never been to the Isabel Bader Theatre, you’re in for a real treat. It’s a gorgeous place to hold a screening. So I wouldn’t wait too long to reserve your seat. These things have a way of selling out pretty fast.

See you at the screening!

Wow. good for you. hopefully I'll see it sometime soon if it comes to video or to a screening in Baltimore (during the summer) or Philadelphia (in the fall)

sidekicks.jpg

if this does well, is it possible it could be released in theaters?

SIDEKICK UPDATE TIME...

First of all, some VERY BIG NEWS (especially for those who have followed Sidekick's progress in this forum)...

SIDEKICK's screenplay was recently purchased by Focus Features (Lost in Translation, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Broken Flowers), the specialty arm of Universal Pictures. They plan on producing a big budget remake in the near future. Crazy, huh? So you should definitely come out and see the original movie while you still can...

which brings me to announcement number two...

Hot off the heels of our super successful SOLD OUT Fundraiser Preview Screening, I'm proud to announce two (that’s right TWO!) additional preview screenings of our independent, awe-inspiring, superhero-comedy, SIDEKICK, here in Toronto. I'd love for some Superhero Hype! folks to be on hand.

Here's the super-exciting details:

SIDEKICK PREVIEW SCREENINGS!
Monday September 12th and Tuesday September 13th, 2005
The Royal Theatre, 608 College Street, Toronto, ON
(4 ½ blocks West of Bathurst, between Clinton & Grace)
7:00 P.M. SHARP (doors open at 6:00 P.M.)

Tickets: $10.00 (payable at the box office the night of the screening only)*

*Sorry, but admittance is restricted to people 18 years of age and older

SIDEKICK is a superhero movie made for the real fans. It takes place in the real world where having a superpower is still monumental. A world where the choice to be a hero isn't always clear.

Read all about SIDEKICK and watch the trailer at www.sidekickmovie.com.

ImTheWombat said:
Yeah, it was with Chuck Norris and Johnathan Brandis (sp?) and the kid had asthma but like idolized Chuck norris and would always daydream about a series of adventures with chuck, a lot of karate and war movies and stuff. And he starts doing Karate and goes to the finals where his master for the master-partner kung fu tournament either doesn't get there or is disqualified or something, and he gets Chuck Norris (a spectator at the event) to help Brandis kick some ass.

Yeah it sucked and it was one of my little bros favorite movies. Im pretty sure i saw it like 8 times.

i loved that movie

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"