Comics Sins Past, The Other, The War at Home, or One More Day - Which was the worst?

You think turning Gwen into a skank and writing her completely out of character having sex with a man she hardly knew makes her intersting?

Look, I'm not the biggest fan of Superman, but even I would wonder "WTF" if he slept with,let's say, Braniac 8 because she was simply irresistable, and then she gave birth to evil super babies because of him.

They are all abominations that make no sense character wise, but Sins Past not only makes no sense from a character perspective,-JMS/JQ showing they have no idea who Gwen was, but it also makes absolutely no sense continuity wise. The events that transpire in SP are impossible to fit into Spidey history. Good one ******s.

The only time Gwen ever left NY while she was with Peter was from ASM#93-98 when she stayed with her uncle in London for a short break following her fathers passing. She never went to Paris for 6 months to give birth to twins. Oh dear,.. What a pile of s-hit.

For getting Gwen's character so wrong and making up events that cannot possibly fit into 616 continuity I would say SP is the worst written, but OMD is the most damaging. For sending PP back to the Silver Age, OMD edges out SP.

Right, with Sins Past we could ignore the stupidity of it, and how it ignored continuity.

We had choices with spidey comics then.

With OMD/BND we were stripped of choices and this is ALL spidey is now. So we can ONLY read re-tread spidey now, hip and jobless with aunt may fawning over him again...lurking around with an "aunt may discovers the spidey-suit" story around the corner.

I know as a fact, there are writers JQ could've gotten, including Slott, who could have written great spidey stoires without having to resort to Ground Hogs Day.

i'll say it again i didnt mind sins past, could it have been better written hell yes, could it have been plotted out better of course. but to me it actually made me interested in what i always considered to be the most over hyped boring and dull character. i never understood the fandom around gwen. this at least in my eyes gave the character a bit more depth and layers. though still badly done.

i do like the diea that norman can say that not only did he kill the character of gwen but that he destroyed the memory of her

Ugh, sometimes I forget how misogynist comic fandom actually is 'til I read things like this.

Gwen isn't just another woman in another refrigerator now, she's practically a walk in freezer.

Also "depth" is a buzzword these days that basically means drawing more 'reaction shots' and putting the writers opinion in subtext or sometimes blatantly spoken through the character. Gwen was fine as was.

"That word... I do not think it means what you think senior."

Right, with Sins Past we could ignore the stupidity of it, and how it ignored continuity.

We had choices with spidey comics then.

With OMD/BND we were stripped of choices and this is ALL spidey is now. So we can ONLY read re-tread spidey now, hip and jobless with aunt may fawning over him again...lurking around with an "aunt may discovers the spidey-suit" story around the corner.

I know as a fact, there are writers JQ could've gotten, including Slott, who could have written great spidey stoires without having to resort to Ground Hogs Day.

Pathetic ain't it.

The outcome of OMD is not just another inane shock revelation, but instead half of Spidey's life gets flushed down the crapper.
Wow that sure is great for the fans!

At least there are other cool comics to buy, plus there are loads of amazing films out this year.
:bh: :brucebat: :im: :indy: :unishr: :yay: .....:csad:

see this is why i cant stand fandoms at times. voice an opinion thats goes against the majority and you get lynched and pulled over the coals. i was surprised that no one posted saying i wasnt a real spider-man fan

I in no way said that sins past was a great story, i said it was a bad idea and was terribly written and should never have been produced the way it was, after reading it i had to think seriously how they got from the idea to the finished page, but it did make me more interested in a character which i felt fans had put on a pedestal and wasn't to be touched. which is a good thing. i still think Gwen was a bog standard girlfriend stereotype of the time frame

Gwen IMO was a simple boring good little girl that would have basiclly been well at home in the town of stepford growing up reading these books i never once gave a second thought about her in the supporting cast. apart from her death and spider-man blue i cant think of any Gwen story i would rank among my favourite spider-man story's.

yes i agree that it wasn't in the ideals of the perfect gwen to sleep with norman. me personally if this concept had to be done in the book, it should have been with harry at another time peroid and even then it would be a stupid mistake, and be extremely hard to work into a decent tale.

and on the subject of depth yes i go know what it means and i do feel that it did add some to the character, gwen had become a one trick pony it was always about her death, and there are only so many times you can have peter morn and reminisce about her without getting overplayed and boring, hell as soon as she was cast in spider-man 3 fans were talking about seeing her famous swan dive on the big screen. spider-man blue is a prime example of taking the character and adding something new to her without taking away from her. though i still laugh that some fans *****ed and moaned that they used the idea that pete and gwen got together at the end of the book.

sins past was a poor concept and a badly produced story but for me at least it had some elements that i found interesting. it showed gwen was not perfect as the fandom had built her up to be. sure like i has said it could have been done far better but i can only comment on what was done.

and i know this will get me even more grief but i liked the idea of a new son of the goblin. though again done extremely poorly( i would have had him just be some basterd son norman had back when harry was a kid which even he didnt know about) i feel that if they had kept gabriel they could had produced an interesting character of a goblin that was so twisted and insane that even norman as the green goblin persona was scared to face

that is simply my opinion on that story, i know it goes against the current stasis quo, but honestly that is how i feel about elements of the story

One More Day for me was the worst

Sin's Past...I thought it was a try to do something new but didn't work well (but I think it would have been cool if the two of the Stacy children would have become Goblins)

THe Other...just seemed like a "death of superman" rip-off, didn't bring anything relevant but didn't do much damage either

The Unmasking, that I have to say I liked it, because in one way I understood peter's point of view: the guy spent years being called a criminal, a menace, etc... and now he was without a doubt with the "legal" guys (I didn't put good guys on purpose), I think that would be something that would appeal to Peter. And by the way, he was always the average joe of the MU, and average joes don't always do the most clever or rational. And from an other perspective, I thought it could bring some great stories to...

...but One More Day...damn they're just comic book characters so in the end I really don't care about if they are married or not. But the execution behind this story is so unbelievable, so forced, it's just pure stupidity

One More Day, followed closely by The Other, with Sins Past bringing up third, and The War at Home being the least objectionable, to me.

If we had the homogenized Amazing Spider-Man thrice monthly, along with Civil War/The War at Home, I think we would have had some really interesting stories that would not have been ignored or glossed over, simply by virtue of being told in issues without the Amazing Spider-Man title on it. We could have handled an unmasked Spidey until either a public identity became the new status-quo, or the storytelling potential became exhausted. If it were the latter, the genie could have been put back in the bottle by either the Loki favor, or the Dan Slott Scarlet Spider conspiracy.

The top three in my list are put there based purely on the fact that they were editorially driven with very little regard for continuity, characterization, and a well-crafted story. Where you could argue Peter's decision to unmask, you cannot argue against the fact that his decision to regress twenty years, his death/transformation, and Gwen's children being the spawn of Norman Osborn, are all the product of editorial decision, and not in the interests of telling a story that refuses to undermine our intelligence. While it's true his decision to unmask was also editorially driven, the top three came from an agenda without merit.

Out of four? There are a lot worse Spider-Man stories. But out of those The Other was, without a doubt, the worst of them. It was a very pointless storyline and accomplished nothing. Peter shed some skin and got some freaky enhanced powers that CAME OUT OF NOWHERE! And, fact is, that anything that happened in that story didn't even stick. So...

It also ruined the totem storyline and The Book of Ezekiel. Way to go, JMS. Heh.

One More Day...
A deal with the #$#ing devil? I can't respect Peter or MJ again after that, but Peter especially should have known better. After Aunt May begged them not to try to bring her back?
No. Terrible storyline, terrible out of character behavior, and it taints everything that comes after until it is rectified/undone

Please, one more day is absoultely horrible.The events after this story line will suck as well.Let's please get back to good story lines

OMD is by far the worst,...because it is still going, and will be printed more times a month than before! It will just has different initials now...BND.

Can you imagine if they had canceled all (spidey-comic) choices after Sin Past....launched "Brand New Sin"....and made it 3X a month with Slott continuing the continuity flawed adventures of Norman and Gwen...while suddenly bringing Captain Stacey back to life too...

That's basically we we got here. Just different lead-in arc.

It's so brilliant....I'm still left staring blankly and not sure if this is all a bad dream or what.

People know the premise and what they did to make the BND storyline, so i believe THAT is what people's opinions are based on, which is quite a lot of information right there to base a strong opinion.

Well, some would argue Clone Saga should be on that list as well as Gathering of Five, but pretty much these are the bottom of the barrel.

Heh wow...this is a tough choice.

I think all of the possible choices are awful. No question about it. I'd have to go with "One More Day" as being the worst with "The Other" a close second. One More Day made no sense whatsoever. It wasn't done for the "Fans" or for the sake of good storytelling. It was brought out because of Joey Q's decade long agenda that he's had for the marriage.

Like I said though, "The Other" isn't far behind though.

Sins Past was the best and I don't mean that as a compliment because that story was also a huge waste of time.

One More Day, hands down.

I've been reading comics for about 15 years now. I've come across good and bad, intricately plotted and insipid dreck. That said, no comic issue ever got me actually pissed off until the last issue of OMD.

It was literally an insult to fans, that belittled any affection they have for the characters and storylines. It treated the marriage like a triviality that was preventing good storytelling. Well, good artists can create any variety of stories from a canvas. However, Joe Q. is not an artist, he is an opportunistic money-man who likes to toss around fan-friendly terms in an effort to meet the bottom-line. He created a stupid twist to raise sales, and create a fresh ground on which to start the story fresh to gain new, uneducated spenders. He failed, and unfortunately temporarily destroyed a character that is world-loved.

He's literally the Ed Wood of the comics world, only more cynical and greedy.

One More Day, hands down.

I've been reading comics for about 15 years now. I've come across good and bad, intricately plotted and insipid dreck. That said, no comic issue ever got me actually pissed off until the last issue of OMD.

It was literally an insult to fans, that belittled any affection they have for the characters and storylines. It treated the marriage like a triviality that was preventing good storytelling. Well, good artists can create any variety of stories from a canvas. However, Joe Q. is not an artist, he is an opportunistic money-man who likes to toss around fan-friendly terms in an effort to meet the bottom-line. He created a stupid twist to raise sales, and create a fresh ground on which to start the story fresh to gain new, uneducated spenders. He failed, and unfortunately temporarily destroyed a character that is world-loved.

He's literally the Ed Wood of the comics world, only more cynical and greedy.

Tell me how you REALLY feel...

:oldrazz:

War at Home wasn't near the horror of the other choices.

The Other? How many times do we need to see the Peter as the Spider motif?

Sins Past, pure and simple craps on Spider-Man classics.

But OMD? By far the WORST affront on Spider-Man ever! This is a mistake of clone saga proportions. And it tops even that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"