Transformers So, Tranformers will be a HARD PG-13?

LostSon88

Superhero
Reaction score
http://www.comics2film.com/FanFrame.php?f_id=25119

The other huge movie in LaBeouf’s life at the moment? Transformers. He says that a cut of the film went to the MPAA and came back with big rated R attached. Not because of sex or language, but because of intense action and violence (awesome!). Shia says Spielberg came to the rescue and went in to argue his point and got it knocked down to a PG-13.

Cool :woot:

Awesome! It was the cleavage of Megan Fox that got that R-rating! Nice! Spielberg is the man!

I enjoy the cleavage of Megan Fox :)

Sounds like bull**** to me. If they rated it R, the only way they'd change it to PG-13 is if some violence that pushed their alarms was taken down a notch. I don't care how much ass Spielberg owns, he doesn't have THAT much pull. The MPAA is like a bunch of angry soccer moms, no way in hell they'd bend over for Mr. Berg.

Uhh...yeah...he DOES have that much pull...

Enough pull to walk into the MPAA and convince them to change an R-rated movie to PG-13 with no edits? Riiigghht.

I'm just saying it makes no sense and I don't believe it. They rated it R for some intense violence to protect the kiddies. Then Spielberg walks in; "Hi, I'm Spielberg. I have so much pull in Hollywood, I want you to change it to PG-13 to sell more tickets. Now, the intense violence that made you rate it R will stay, but I'm Spielberg dammit!! On your kneeeees!!! :cmad:"

"Damn, he's right. We DID rate it R, and it IS an R-rated film, but he IS Spielberg. What choice do we have? The little kids we love so much and fight so hard to protect will just have to endure the intense violence. We can't question the Spielberg."

But to be honest, I don't see what the MPAA perceived as "intense" violence in this movie? I mean granted we haven't seen it yet but i'm sure its not like we're gon' see any decapitations, dismembering, blood, guts etc.

Perhaps, Speilberg simply convinced them that their rating was a little overzealous and the film is not as "intense" as they're making it out to be?

Speilberg to MPAA hypothetical: "This isn't Saving Private Ryan people...we're talking about 40 foot robots fighting each other."

But to be honest, I don't see what the MPAA perceived as "intense" violence in this movie? I mean granted we haven't seen it yet but i'm sure its not like we're gon' see any decapitations, dismembering, blood, guts etc.

Perhaps, Speilberg simply convinced them that their rating was a little overzealous and the film is not as "intense" as they're making it out to be?

Speilberg to MPAA hypothetical: "This isn't Saving Private Ryan people...we're talking about 40 foot robots fighting each other."

Yeah, I'm sure there's more to the story than the little blurb. Maybe when the bots die or explode or whatever, it's really graphic or something. Or maybe some humans get blown up or stepped on and it made them push the R. They rated it R for a reason, but if it was just a bit of being overzealous as you said, then I'd believe SS could talk to them about it. But if they rated it R for a solid reason, I would never believe a director could make them change it without any edits just because he's a Hollywood King. :oldrazz:

I'm sure the soccer moms DO love the Berg, but I'm willing to bet they love their kids more. :p

Yeah, I'm sure there's more to the story than the little blurb. Maybe when the bots die or explode or whatever, it's really graphic or something. Or maybe some humans get blown up or stepped on and it made them push the R. They rated it R for a reason, but if it was just a bit of being overzealous as you said, then I'd believe SS could talk to them about it. But if they rated it R for a solid reason, I would never believe a director could make them change it without any edits just because he's a Hollywood King. :oldrazz:

I'm sure the soccer moms DO love the Berg, but I'm willing to bet they love their kids more. :p

That's what i'm thinking happened. :yay:

The thing is is the action really THAT intense to give it a R-rating? Something doesnt seem right about that. Im willing to bet at most it was borderline R and Spielberg convinced them to keep it at PG-13

So does this mean the movie is pretty much complete then..?

It probably was never R in the first place, its just Shia shooting his mouth off again, much like how he mistaken the Raptor for a Razor. The guy has no credibility. :down:

So does this mean the movie is pretty much complete then..?
Very broad answer to that. It's been in post production for months (and thus pretty much complete). The MPAA was probably shown a rough cut with unfinished CG.

Transformers will be a HARD PG-13? I prefer to call it a piece of **** but that's as nicer way to put it.

Yeah...I'm not buying this for a momemt. This kid is impressed enough with the possibility of "seeing a car transform at 80 MPH" or whatever dribble line Bay keeps on using to market this movie that he's liable to say anything.

When the most powerful man in Hollywood looks you in the eye and tells you a movie is going to be PG-13, it doesn't matter if the movie has a midget blood orgy with chainsaws the movie is going to be PG-13.

When the most powerful man in Hollywood looks you in the eye and tells you a movie is going to be PG-13, it doesn't matter if the movie has a midget blood orgy with chainsaws the movie is going to be PG-13.
QFT

Question: Does Spielberg have that much pull?

Answer: Temple of Doom and Gremlins. If it wasn't for Rpielbergs involvement in them, they would have been R's and PG-13 wouldn't even exist.

I wonder what this'll mean for the ratings outside of the US?

Will they all be PG-13s/12s/etc or will they be the countries version of an R-rating?

Here in the UK I'd expect a 12A at the highest. After that we have a '15', which would pretty much kill a large chunk of its box office.

Theres another article about this posted from Scifi.com at its Scifi Wire page here.

Transformers Fought MPAA

Shia LaBeouf, who stars in Michael Bay's upcoming Transformers movie, told SCI FI Wire that executive producer Steven Spielberg had to appeal a decision by the Motion Picture Association of America to give the film a dreaded R rating. "Spielberg fought back and got the PG-13," LaBeouf said in an interview. "It's just because of the intensity. There are not a lot of breathers. It's like whoosh!"

It's not clear if Bay, the action director known for such adrenalin-pumping movies as Armageddon and The Island, cut anything to get the lower rating. La Beouf said that an early cut of the film earned an R rating simply because it was so suspenseful. "We went to get our MPAA rating, and this movie is for the masses, and we got an R rating because of the tension," LaBeouf said. He added: "Not because of the curse words or nudity, but for sheer intensity. It's aneurysm-inducing."

LaBeouf stars alongside Jon Voight, Anthony Anderson, Josh Duhamel and John Turturro in the movie, a live-action update of the 1980s toy, TV and comic franchise, about warring alien robots who bring their battle to Earth. (LaBeouf talked about Transformers at a screening and party at Sony last week for his upcoming animated penguin surfer movie, Surf's Up.)

LaBeouf said that Transformers' computer graphics are out of this world. "No one has ever seen animation like this," he said, adding that the technical people at the visual-effects company Industrial Light & Magic were astounded about the amount of CG they had to do. "The people at ILM said this is the most intense graphics in the history of the company," he said. "Everyone says they did some pretty magical and wild things. Just Megatron's arm has 15,000 moving pieces that all converge like [a] Rubik's Cube. And add to that Michael Bay's chase scenes? And then you have two 40-foot machines on the 405 [freeway] boxing. It's nuts! It's never been done like that. It will be fun to see what happens." Transformers opens July 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"