Ralph Winter talks Fantastic Four 02/17/07

To me, he sounds like a guy who's confident in what they've got.

As far as I'm concerned, Galactus in the flesh is not at all necessary for this film to succeed.
Galactus is coming...soon. I have no problem with that, if it's done well.

I do hope we get a glimpse of him though, either in the Surfer's memories or thoughts, or via whatever telepathic connection they have.

^^ yeah bud they are really trying to get this thing right. I hope they make it man, I really do.

Yeah, yeah, a little. We're using Weta, who did Lord of the Rings, to do the CGI work for the Surfer, and Doug is heavily involved with providing motion capture and all that stuff.

So is the Silver Surfer being visually achieved entirely through CGI?
It's a combination of CGI, and some on-set motion capturing of Doug. Pulling this whole thing together is what Weta is charged with doing, and they'll be putting the final product into the scenes.

Sigh. Still not telling the truth.

HM

It sounds like they have yet to make some major creative decisions that probably should have been made many moons ago. This is what happens when you rush movies in to production.:(

Carp this guy produces movies, I think he has some experience don't you.

With less than 4 months to go, if they haven't already begun working on Galactus or the Surfer speaking, then NO he doesn't know what he's doing. But then the firstfilm showed that.

Galactus would have to have been worked on for a good year with test scenes and so forth to have him ready for the film. They aren't going to be able to have a believable Galactus in 1 month.

With less than 4 months to go, if they haven't already begun working on Galactus or the Surfer speaking, then NO he doesn't know what he's doing. But then the firstfilm showed that.

Galactus would have to have been worked on for a good year with test scenes and so forth to have him ready for the film. They aren't going to be able to have a believable Galactus in 1 month.

Well looking at Winter's comments it looks like they have done some amount of design work for him. Also, WETA is on board doing effects for the movie so it's not impossible for them to cook up something cool for Galactus.

It worries me though that would wait this late to make such a decision though.Adding a scene late in the game is one thing. Adding a whole new character is a whole now is a whole different kettle of fish.Especially if he's going to have dialogue.

Interesting.

Reading between the lines - Galactus clearly has no direct role in this film. Also, they clearly seem to be rushing this.

Now, keeping in mind that they're rushing things and Galactus isn't part of the story: should they lock themselves into a Galactus look that someone sketched on a napkin, or should they take time to develop Galactus' look between now and a film that would feature Galactus?

I think that's the big question, and while, ideally the answer is: "DON"T RUSH THIS FILM AND DO IT RIGHT" it seems that's not going to happen, so I think, with that in mind, I'd rather not see Galactus than get a rushed design that we'll be stuck with later.

Interesting.

Reading between the lines - Galactus clearly has no direct role in this film. Also, they clearly seem to be rushing this.

Now, keeping in mind that they're rushing things and Galactus isn't part of the story: should they lock themselves into a Galactus look that someone sketched on a napkin, or should they take time to develop Galactus' look between now and a film that would feature Galactus?

I think that's the big question, and while, ideally the answer is: "DON"T RUSH THIS FILM AND DO IT RIGHT" it seems that's not going to happen, so I think, with that in mind, I'd rather not see Galactus than get a rushed design that we'll be stuck with later.

Agreed.
If they haven't decided on how exactly he will be done, there's no way he could play a major role in the story. So his (potential) appearance must be in a flashback, or he's shown briefly as the Surfer describes him... something like that.

Well looking at Winter's comments it looks like they have done some amount of design work for him. Also, WETA is on board doing effects for the movie so it's not impossible for them to cook up something cool for Galactus.

It worries me though that would wait this late to make such a decision though.Adding a scene late in the game is one thing. Adding a whole new character is a whole now is a whole different kettle of fish.Especially if he's going to have dialogue.

Considering Winter's comments, Ioan's comments and Roth's coments- it seems more likely than not that they've already decided to not include Galactus, but they don't want negative word to spread about the film from those disappointed. So they're stringing us along with talk of what they're waiting to see.

Even with WETA doing the effects, the CGI work to composite Galactus into any scenes and making him look like he's actually there will take a good would take several months, which is time they don't have at this point.

Even with WETA doing the effects, the CGI work to composite Galactus into any scenes and making him look like he's actually there will take a good would take several months, which is time they don't have at this point.

Not if what we see of him is a glimpse, a flash.
I've figured all along that is how we'll see Galactus in this film.

(And by glimpse or flash, I mean there wouldn't necessarily be any filmed scenes to composite him into.)

(And by glimpse or flash, I mean there wouldn't necessarily be any filmed scenes to composite him into.)

Yeah, that could be done full CGI, and I have a feeling thats exactly what we are going to get, and I have a feeling its going to look much like the video game we've seen a nd most seem to like....

That would be utterly meaningless. If you're going to deal with Galactus, deal with him. What would a flash that add to the film other than so BS fanboy nod?

That would be utterly meaningless. If you're going to deal with Galactus, deal with him. What would a flash that add to the film other than so BS fanboy nod?

If Galactus is not dealt with directly, that's FINE. This clearly is not a straight adaptation of FF #48-50. If it were, we wouldn't be getting the whole Doom power trip.
This is obviously a Surfer/Doom movie. There's no reason that can't work, whether Galactus appears or not.
The Surfer travels ahead of Galactus. It's as simple as that.

But what Galactus is should be explained and perhaps -to some degree-shown.

A glimpse or flash of Galactus could mean everything in this mix.

I'm a little less aroused by this info...a little less aroused. :dry:

If Galactus is not dealt with directly, that's FINE. This clearly is not a straight adaptation of FF #48-50. If it were, we wouldn't be getting the whole Doom power trip.
This is obviously a Surfer/Doom movie. There's no reason that can't work, whether Galactus appears or not.
The Surfer travels ahead of Galactus. It's as simple as that.

But what Galactus is should be explained and perhaps -to some degree-shown.

A glimpse or flash of Galactus could mean everything in this mix.

There's a major problem with them having Doom take the Surfer's power BEFORE Galactus is shown. It nullifies the Surfer's input in the battle against Galactus. Doom will have rendered him powerless, and the FF will have rendered Doom powerless, making the Surfer's power moot in the future struggle. What was great about FF #50 is that as the Surfer said, even Galactus didn't know the limits of his power. By the end of this movie, we will.

And anyway- this is the same crew that screwed Doom in the first movie. There's nothing to suggest they've gotten any better other than their word- which keeps shifting. Many of us had said that it seemed like they were rushing FF2, and that's becoming more evident if they're still unsure about things like if the Surfer speaks and whether or not they want to include Galactus. This is an integral part of the story, which the script would have to be constructed around. The same goes for the FX and shooting schedule.
And they're still not sure about it? Dumbasses.

I'd bet that Galactus will be kinda like Norman in Spidey 2/hinted like GG2 in Spidey 2.

There's a major problem with them having Doom take the Surfer's power BEFORE Galactus is shown. It nullifies the Surfer's input in the battle against Galactus. Doom will have rendered him powerless, and the FF will have rendered Doom powerless, making the Surfer's power moot in the future struggle. What was great about FF #50 is that as the Surfer said, even Galactus didn't know the limits of his power. By the end of this movie, we will.

And anyway- this is the same crew that screwed Doom in the first movie. There's nothing to suggest they've gotten any better other than their word- which keeps shifting. Many of us had said that it seemed like they were rushing FF2, and that's becoming more evident if they're still unsure about things like if the Surfer speaks and whether or not they want to include Galactus. This is an integral part of the story, which the script would have to be constructed around. The same goes for the FX and shooting schedule.

Except the Surfer will get his power back before Galactus arrives, one way or another.
My guess is that, despite having his power usurped by a nutty tin man on Earth, the Surfer will still experience the re-awakening of his conscience (being powerless and nursed by Jessica Alba might just help with that) and power restored, head off to intercept Galactus. (End of movie)
OR- He will regain his power just in time to streak into the heavens and collide with Galactus' monster ship with a terrible kaboom, and his fate (and galactus') will remain unknown til the Surfer movie.

I'm not happy they're doing it this way at all, especially with Alicia's role being dropped in favor of Sue.
But I'm gonna look at the glass as half-full til they actually let me down.

Will Galactus put that force field around the earth at the end to trap the surfer before he leaves???

Interesting.

Yeah, there's something abut the whole productions that just sounds....unrefined and rushed. How do you introduce the SS and not plan to have Galactus figure a prominent role is beyond me. Moreso, how do you do a film with characters whose stories are huge and sweeping in one film? Galactus, SS, Doom? The story and script have got to be up to snuff. The characters and their stories says epic, but the vibe I'm slowly starting to get is similar to the first; quick popcorn fun.

Will Galactus put that force field around the earth at the end to trap the surfer before he leaves???

??
At this point I'm assuming he doesn't even show up at Earth in this film...

I don't disagree with your reasoning but I think this is the way they do things at Fox. However saying they are dumb because they don't know if they are going to use Doug's voice is not entirely true. Rather it says to me that the production values on this movie is high.

About Doug what they are saying is this. Doug already did the voice for the surfer, but they are waiting on the final cut to see how it works in the whole film. I think this is more caution on their part because Doug has had his voice replaced in other movies, it's the group thing going on. This is obviously a decision that Tim Story is not going to be making on his own.

Also the Galactus integration. I know everyone always talk about being true to the adaptation and I myself want that, but realistically I don't want to wait two three years for a surfer movie to see Galactus. They said they have the sketches and design work already done. This was the case with SS even before filming started. they showed SS on a laptop to Doug remember.

I don't count my days as guaranteed. I say if Galactus looks anywhere near what he looks like in the Ulitmate Alliance game then go for it. Then let the fanboys pick apart every nuance a character or the CGI and how this or that reaction could have been drawn out ad nauseum.

I want it all right now. Who knows about tomorrow man, give us everything you can possibly sqeeze in right now.

I think Ralph Winter is right. If you are gonna do Galactus, do him in a third film (if there is one)...

there's already too much going on in this film...no need to crowd out good character moments just so fan boys can geek out. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"