So you think you know THOR?

Miss Webb

Sidekick
Reaction score
Did you know that...

Thor once had two mortal incarnations around 1000 A.D., where he was both himself and his son? (Sigurd and Siegfried). His essence was distilled into mortal form and his sister fell in love with him.

Brunhilde defied Odin at this time and was stripped of her powers. She and the mortal Thor knocked boots on a flaming mountain top.

Frigga was dark haired and young, inexpicably made heavyset and whitehaired later. Never an explanation. She resembled Karnilla greatly and wore a golden horned headdress.

Odin killed Thor in his mortal incarnation because of a marriage infraction/adultery. Frigga demanded restitution of her honor as patron goddess of marriages!

Thor captured the eye of Odin and demanded the truth about his father and the Celestials. His entire life was seen in flashback to the beginning.

Thor has inherited Odin's 'primal mind'. These are memories of the earlier version of Asgard which dated back to the hyperborean age.

Each mortal incarnation of Thor was stronger. Thor as Sigfriend was more powerful than he was as Sigurd. (mortal, strongman type strength).

Odin often walked the earth disguised as a wise magician with a peaked cap.

The earlier Asgard dated from approximately 18,000 BC to 0. Two thousand years ago the ragnarok of old Asgard was seen as the "star" in bethlehem during the birth of Christ.

The previous gods were called the Aesir. They formed the majority of the myths of the Teutonic races.

Nine gods survived the old ragnarok...
Balder, Villi, Ve, Hoenir, Modi and Magni (Thor's sons), Vidar, Hoder, and Vali.

They discovered small figurines of their fallen gods about the plains of Ida. Modi and Magni found their father's hammer (with the short handle!) and hurled it to earth, wary of corrupting influence.

Early mjlonir permanently altered the future Rhine river. It transformed into the RHINEGOLD or RING OF POWER.

Odins brothers found Gungnir and decided to claim it in the name of Bor. They were absorbed and the result was

ODIN

Not the previous Odin (who was not as powerful), but our ever lovin' allfather. He saw the same figures on the fields of Ida, but now they resembled the current Asgardians.

The previous Odin was eaten by the Fenris Wolf (his head was chomped...pretty gruesome!)

Thor (our Thor) observed in his minds eye that the previous Asgard was much "earthier" in appearance. It also resembled the Asgard he has currently created over Oklahoma! The Aesir wore fur and skins, being from a previous age and more closely resembled standard Viking dress.

Speaking of dress

Did you know Thor wore a wedding dress? He was standing in for the goddess Freya as a promise to the giants to get his hammer back. The giant tried to kiss him! (He was wearing a veil!) The giant noticed his bride's "broad shoulders", lol.

Odin's orgin has a somewhat different slant according to Odin himself, versus the story told by his eye to Thor.

The young Odin resembled Errol Flynn. He and his brother journeyed the nine worlds to Muspelheim and battled Surtur. The three of them 'transformed' asgardian style into a giant ice god and battled Surtur across the lake of fire. Their swords collided, and the impact hurled Surtur back into the lake and split the godlings into their seperate selves. Villi and Ve stayed behind and sacrificed themselves to prevent Surtur from breaching the dimensional space into Asgard. They gave up their power to Odin (thus the Odinpower which really ain't all Odin).

Did you know that...

Two gay guys commented on Hercules shoulders at a bar? Thor entered to talk and women were shouting out their phone numbers. Then they argued about who should get Thor versus Hercules.

Hulk went to Hel to rescue Thor from Hela's clutches. She wanted him to be her slave until the twilight of the gods.

Hela appeared in THOR Vol.2 to offer a marriage proposal to Thor while he was sitting at a shoreline with Red Norvell. He thought it over.

The wedding dress Thor wore was pink.

Zeus and Thor battled on mount Ida (same one as in Asgard!) and Zeus commented Thor fought stronger than the gods of Olympus and Titans combined.

When Thor broke the ragnarok cycle the fates were depicted as young women again. Their appearance changes from old crones to young women.

Pluto and Hela battled over the soul of Odin. Pluto couldn't defeat her so he cheated. Hela released Odin from death and Pluto was thwarted.

Harokin wanted Thor to lead the heavenly host of Valhalla several times.

Thor spoke to hippies about dropping out, and gave a motorcyclist a ride in the air. The hippies thought Thor was a guru with his outfit and long hair, but commented that his hammer was "nowhere."

The Queen of the Dark Gods had a thing for Odin and was ticked when he spurned her long ago.

In WAR OF THE GODS, worshippers watched Thor and Hercules battle.

Thor wielded the Odinpower to grow to gigantic size and battle Surtur. Odin battled Seth. Their battle was seen across the universe by the Inhumans, Atlanteans, and Rigellians as rifts in the fabric of infinity were torn by the fight.

Odin can absorb the power of Asgard without the Odinpower.

Recommended reading

Thor Super Sized 400th issue
War of the Gods/Mighty Thor
Thor Vs. Super Skrull
Thor #251
Final issue Thor Volume 2 Thor Disassembled Ragnarok Conclusion
King size annual THUNDER OVER TROY
Marvel Superheroes Fall 1993 80 pg special
Tales of Asgard # 1
The Mighty Thor #488, 489 (Godpack issues)
Thor Vol. 2 #6 guest starring Hercules
Thor #349 The brothers of Odin (Simonson)
Thor #163, 164 (battles with Pluto and his mutates)
Thor # issues #290-#300. Covers Thor's history, the eye of Odin saga and the Lord of Rings saga/enter Celestials.

:woot:

i totally knew all that. in fact, i was totally gonna post that s***, but then you beat me to it.

well played, miss webb, well played....

*doom doom doom*

:cmad: Wanna-be know-it-all:cmad:

Nice. I knew a bunch of them, but there was a lot I haven't gotten to. I've been very lax about reading all of Thor's back issues, unfortunately. :(

King Crimson rocks my balls off. Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew are GODS.

I'd forgotten about how awesome King Crimson was until I listened to a bunch of their songs again on the drive to visit my mom last weekend. They really do rule. I only wish I had a computer at home to get more of their songs.

I have a documentary about Fripp's methods and overall lifestyle. I'd let you borrow it if we were, you know, neighbors.

Pfft, whatever, I don't want it anyway. :o

Seriously, though, what's it called? I could probably get it off Netflix.

Pfft, whatever, I don't want it anyway. :o

Seriously, though, what's it called? I could probably get it off Netflix.

I'm not at home, and can't remember the name. It might be "Deja Vroom", but I'm not sure.

Did you know that...

Thor once had two mortal incarnations around 1000 A.D., where he was both himself and his son? (Sigurd and Siegfried). His essence was distilled into mortal form and his sister fell in love with him.

Brunhilde defied Odin at this time and was stripped of her powers. She and the mortal Thor knocked boots on a flaming mountain top.

Frigga was dark haired and young, inexpicably made heavyset and whitehaired later. Never an explanation. She resembled Karnilla greatly and wore a golden horned headdress.

Odin killed Thor in his mortal incarnation because of a marriage infraction/adultery. Frigga demanded restitution of her honor as patron goddess of marriages!

Thor captured the eye of Odin and demanded the truth about his father and the Celestials. His entire life was seen in flashback to the beginning.

Thor has inherited Odin's 'primal mind'. These are memories of the earlier version of Asgard which dated back to the hyperborean age.

Each mortal incarnation of Thor was stronger. Thor as Sigfriend was more powerful than he was as Sigurd. (mortal, strongman type strength).

The earlier Asgard dated from approximately 18,000 BC to 0. Two thousand years ago the ragnarok of old Asgard was seen as the "star" in bethlehem during the birth of Christ.

The previous gods were called the Aesir. They formed the majority of the myths of the Teutonic races.

Balder, Villi, Ve, Hoenir, Modi and Magni (Thor's sons), Vidar, Hoder, and Vali.

They discovered small figurines of their fallen gods about the plains of Ida. Modi and Magni found their father's hammer (with the short handle!) and hurled it to earth, wary of corrupting influence.

Early mjlonir permanently altered the future Rhine river. It transformed into the RHINEGOLD or RING OF POWER.

Odins brothers found Gungnir and decided to claim it in the name of Bor. They were absorbed and the result was

ODIN

Not the previous Odin (who was not as powerful), but our ever lovin' allfather. He saw the same figures on the fields of Ida, but now they resembled the current Asgardians.

The previous Odin was eaten by the Fenris Wolf (his head was chomped...pretty gruesome!)

Thor (our Thor) observed in his minds eye that the previous Asgard was much "earthier" in appearance. It also resembled the Asgard he has currently created over Oklahoma! The Aesir wore fur and skins, being from a previous age and more closely resembled standard Viking dress.

Speaking of dress

Did you know Thor wore a wedding dress? He was standing in for the goddess Freya as a promise to the giants to get his hammer back. The giant tried to kiss him! (He was wearing a veil!) The giant noticed his bride's "broad shoulders", lol.

Odin's orgin has a somewhat different slant according to Odin himself, versus the story told by his eye to Thor.

The young Odin resembled Errol Flynn. He and his brother journeyed the nine worlds to Muspelheim and battled Surtur. The three of them 'transformed' asgardian style into a giant ice god and battled Surtur across the lake of fire. Their swords collided, and the impact hurled Surtur back into the lake and split the godlings into their seperate selves. Villi and Ve stayed behind and sacrificed themselves to prevent Surtur from breaching the dimensional space into Asgard. They gave up their power to Odin (thus the Odinpower which really ain't all Odin).

Did you know that...

Two gay guys commented on Hercules shoulders at a bar? Thor entered to talk and women were shouting out their phone numbers. Then they argued about who should get Thor versus Hercules.

Hulk went to Hel to rescue Thor from Hela's clutches. She wanted him to be her slave until the twilight of the gods.

Hela appeared in THOR Vol.2 to offer a marriage proposal to Thor while he was sitting at a shoreline with Red Norvell. He thought it over.

Zeus and Thor battled on mount Ida (same one as in Asgard!) and Zeus commented Thor fought stronger than the gods of Olympus and Titans combined.

When Thor broke the ragnarok cycle the fates were depicted as young women again. Their appearance changes from old crones to young women.

Pluto and Hela battled over the soul of Odin. Pluto couldn't defeat her so he cheated. Hela released Odin from death and Pluto was thwarted.

Thor spoke to hippies about dropping out, and gave a motorcyclist a ride in the air. The hippies thought Thor was a guru with his outfit and long hair, but commented that his hammer was "nowhere."

The Queen of the Dark Gods had a thing for Odin and was ticked when he spurned her long ago.

Thor wielded the Odinpower to grow to gigantic size and battle Surtur. Odin battled Seth. Their battle was seen across the universe by the Inhumans, Atlanteans, and Rigellians as rifts in the fabric of infinity were torn by the fight.

Recommended reading

Thor Vs. Super Skrull
Thor #251
Tales of Asgard # 1
Thor # issues #290-#300. Covers Thor's history, the eye of Odin saga and the Lord of Rings saga/enter Celestials.

UM Webs hon, it's NOT Lord of the Rings Eye of Odin saga is copied, it's the Ring of the Nibelungs. (GREAT variation tho :D )

P.S. the Movie Dark Kingdom that was on Sci-Fi was originally called Ring of the Nibelungs. Not a bad cover either if you like those kinds of storys

They Did you know Thor wore a wedding dress? He was standing in for the goddess Freya as a promise to the giants to get his hammer back. The giant tried to kiss him! (He was wearing a veil!) The giant noticed his bride's "broad shoulders", lol.

You forgot to mention how much he drank and ate. :woot:

Heh, somebody's a show-off. But hey, Norse mythology is interesting.

Did you know that...

ODIN

Speaking of dress

Did you know that...

Recommended reading

Thor Vs. Super Skrull
Thor #251
Tales of Asgard # 1

Where you from, darlin'...Asgard? :cwink: (kidding)

Well, obviously, I don't know Thor as well as you, but given your obvious pedigree in Thorology, answer me this: why does the Thunder God seem to get treated with such disrespect? I mean, this guy has loads of power and when the chips are down against the meanest and nastiest he seems to drop the ball. I won't even discuss the contempt with which he was treated in a recent Marvel/DC crossover against a so called man of steel...oh, that sucked!! Help me out here, is the guy not a walking powerhouse? Anyone else here thinks that Thor shoulda' taken out Superman say,"Aye". And an occasional win against the Hulk would be good, hello?

Well, obviously, I don't know Thor as well as you, but given your obvious pedigree in Thorology, answer me this: why does the Thunder God seem to get treated with such disrespect? I mean, this guy has loads of power and when the chips are down against the meanest and nastiest he seems to drop the ball. I won't even discuss the contempt with which he was treated in a recent Marvel/DC crossover against a so called man of steel...oh, that sucked!! Help me out here, is the guy not a walking powerhouse? Anyone else here thinks that Thor shoulda' taken out Superman say,"Aye". And an occasional win against the Hulk would be good, hello?

:cmad: :cmad: :cmad: I say thee NAY!!! Thou shalt not discuss DC/Marvel cross-overs!

That MYSTICAL Hammer would have knocked Supey's head cleeeean off!

What did you expect? Kurt Busiek wrote JLA/Avengers. Much as I love Busiek, he has always portrayed a severely underpowered and downright pathetic Thor, whose only powers seem to be yelling archaic English catch-phrases and bashing things with his hammer.

As for a hypothetical Thor vs. Superman match: if the writer remembers that Thor has super-speed on par with the speed of lightning, Thor wins. If not, Superman wins. It's really that simple for me. In a fight where everything else about the two is so evenly matched, it all comes down to speed. Thor can really only use his magic advantage if he's fast enough to keep up with Superman.

I've got an old Wizard from years ago with an interview with Busiek about Avengers Forever. One of the questions was about why Thor wasn't included in the series. His answer, was that he's never been sure how to write Thor to his liking.

Nor to anyone else's liking. As it stands, the only good Thor moment I can recall during Busiek's tenure on Avengers was when Thor busted through a bunch of Ultron-bots (many of which were made of adamantium), came face-to-face with the real Ultron, and declared, "Ultron! We would have words with thee." That's it. In all of Busiek's lengthy Avengers run. One moment where he really nailed Thor.

Nor to anyone else's liking. As it stands, the only good Thor moment I can recall during Busiek's tenure on Avengers was when Thor busted through a bunch of Ultron-bots (many of which were made of adamantium), came face-to-face with the real Ultron, and declared, "Ultron! We would have words with thee." That's it. In all of Busiek's lengthy Avengers run. One moment where he really nailed Thor.

Yeah, that panel was pretty awesome. I can imagine Thor being a tough one to write in a team setting, though.

Probably. Of course, Busiek was also writing Iron Man and Wonder Man on the team. Just take whatever you think they can do and up it like one and a half times. There's your classic Thor power level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"