So you think you know THOR?

And did you know...

Sif was originally blonde and extremely VAIN? Before she became a warrior goddess, she loved herself some her. Loki played a trick on her and made her bald. She was traumatized until Thor made Loki get her some hair. It was magic hair (from the elves or something) and took root. Loki got dark hair on purpose, thinking Thor wouldn't love Sif with dark hair! The clueless doofus was wrong, Thor thought the brunette Sif was even better.
Also based on a myth, although Loki got the dwarves to craft Sif new hair made from gold, so she was actually blond again when the myth was over. The mythological Sif was no warrior goddess, though. She was goddess of the harvest.

I always liked Marvel's Sif--both her hair and her backstory--more than the myths'.

LOL, true that. I always get those legends tangled up in the brain!

More recommended readings

Thor (TWILIGHT WELL SAGA, battle of Olympians and Asgardians, Hela vs. Pluto) issues from approx. #187-200 (I may be a little off in all the numbers) find out about the mysterious, fearsome Fates!

Issue #200 RAGNAROK (good luck finding this, it took me six years to get!) The real deal here, people.

And did you know...

Sif was originally blonde and extremely VAIN? Before she became a warrior goddess, she loved herself some her. Loki played a trick on her and made her bald. She was traumatized until Thor made Loki get her some hair. It was magic hair (from the elves or something) and took root. Loki got dark hair on purpose, thinking Thor wouldn't love Sif with dark hair! The clueless doofus was wrong, Thor thought the brunette Sif was even better.

Hercules and Thor fought over Jane Foster when she flirted with Herc?

Blitzania of the Godpack kept calling Thor "Thunderbritches" but she had the hots for him despite childish insults.

Hela showed up looking for Odin's soul after he disappeared fighting Surtur. Thor was pissed and clocked her back to Hel.

Karnilla was once trapped in a giant ruby jewel by space aliens?

A curious did you know

The Odin of "Old" Asgard or the Aesir, ALSO wore an eyepatch. Did he lose it the same way as Thor's Odin? If so, sacrificing eyes for wisdom is overrated, since the Ragnarok happened anyway.

more to come as I go...:woot:
Well next year there's supposed to be a Thor rom! Can't wait myself since most of my collection was destroyed in a flood back in the mid 80's.

Also based on a myth, although Loki got the dwarves to craft Sif new hair made from gold, so she was actually blond again when the myth was over. The mythological Sif was no warrior goddess, though. She was goddess of the harvest.

I always liked Marvel's Sif--both her hair and her backstory--more than the myths'.
Seems to me that Amora is based more on the Mythic Sif than Sif herself. Altho I would like to see the Harvest part of Sif brought into the comic, it would explain what she does in her off time as a warrior goddess.

God, yes. I'd love to see all of the major Norse gods get some kind of reference to what they're the gods of. The fact that Thor was literally the only god who could do anything related to his divine sphere of influence until Simonson added the light and heat thing to Balder (which was promptly forgotten anyway) makes Thor seem like some weird anomaly. Gods are always the gods of something in the old pantheons. Please, JMS, just bring back Balder's light/heat powers and give Sif some kind of plant control or something. It'd go a long way towards making the rest of the Asgardians more than just the cardboard cut-outs in the background that they've become.

God, yes. I'd love to see all of the major Norse gods get some kind of reference to what they're the gods of. The fact that Thor was literally the only god who could do anything related to his divine sphere of influence until Simonson added the light and heat thing to Balder (which was promptly forgotten anyway) makes Thor seem like some weird anomaly. Gods are always the gods of something in the old pantheons. Please, JMS, just bring back Balder's light/heat powers and give Sif some kind of plant control or something. It'd go a long way towards making the rest of the Asgardians more than just the cardboard cut-outs in the background that they've become.

I'm fairly certain I read an interview with JMS where he pretty much explained his plans for the gods was exactly what you're describing. I'll try to find it...

Yeah, the Asgardians always got the short handle on the 'god' stuff compared to the other pantheons which never made any sense. They weren't listed as 'true immortal' (bah) and everyone always needed an 'enchanted whatever' to do anything. Enchanted stones, enchanted helmets, enchanted swords, enchanted armor, etc, etc...it got tiresome! I'm like, can anyone do ANYTHING remotely godlike, not just the standard Asgardian super strength thing? The only other exceptions were Hermod (speed god, I think) and of course Loki, Karnilla and Amora. Even Lorelie had to resort to the standard 'potions and enchantments' bit. She didn't seem to do much of anything.

In the Origin of Odin issue, there was a strange comment made about the current asgardians. When Odin picked them up and observed the figurines, he commented that they were of a 'brighter hue' than the previous gods but 'less like gods and more like heroes.' I dunno...the whole 'paler after each ragnarok' bit confuses me, since the old gods didn't seem as powerful.

Don't have a clue what that was supposed to mean, or why. Just more dissin' of the Asgardians.

I agree, Vidar, Balder, Hiemdal, Loki and Odin were the only god's I can remember even remotely being refferenced to what they were Gods of myself, even tho I know there have been more.

In my opinion, the Asgardian supporting cast should have old favorites Balder, Sif, Heimdall, the warriors Three, Amora, Skurge, and Loki back, plus bring Frey, Freya, Hermod, Tyr, Frigga, and maybe Vidar and a few others more to the forefront. The myths had extensive stuff on all of them, and Frigga and Vidar are Thor's family, for crying out loud.
I'm fairly certain I read an interview with JMS where he pretty much explained his plans for the gods was exactly what you're describing. I'll try to find it...
Please do. It would fill my heart with gladness and take away all my sadness. Just like Rod Stewart.

Please do. It would fill my heart with gladness and take away all my sadness. Just like Rod Stewart.

Aww...look what you did. I was just about to go and look for it, and you had to go and ruin the thread by including a Rod Stewart reference.

Unquote me and I'll get rid of it. Come on, I wanna read that interview! :(

Heh, I'm a Thor fiend...I collected Thor and the Defenders before anything else one summer when I had a student job in California! I've got virtually all of the Old Thor, and selected issues of the Vol. 2 series (I didn't like some of them!)

I have a whole archive of stuff with various titles. :yay:

You mean the Lee & Kirby stuff?

You blew it, dude. You and Rod blew it. Then you blew each other.

No, I didn't mean it! It just happened to wander into my mind. I hate Rod. I hate Rod's rod even more! PLEASE!! :csad:

Heh, I'm a Thor fiend...I collected Thor and the Defenders before anything else one summer when I had a student job in California! I've got virtually all of the Old Thor, and selected issues of the Vol. 2 series (I didn't like some of them!)

I have a whole archive of stuff with various titles. :yay:
MAN I'm jealous! But then Now I live in an Apartment and space is VERY limited, so I can wait for the Thor rom.

Would ya do it for me PJ? :D

MAN I'm jealous! But then Now I live in an Apartment and space is VERY limited, so I can wait for the Thor rom.
I'm looking forward to that now, too. I didn't know about it until you mentioned it. I have space for more comics, but it's always such a hassle tracking down back issues, plus it's expensive. I'm more a reader than a collector anyway, so the CDs would be perfect.

In my opinion, the Asgardian supporting cast should have old favorites Balder, Sif, Heimdall, the warriors Three, Amora, Skurge, and Loki back, plus bring Frey, Freya, Hermod, Tyr, Frigga, and maybe Vidar and a few others more to the forefront. The myths had extensive stuff on all of them, and Frigga and Vidar are Thor's family, for crying out loud.
What were the Warriors Three gods of, was it even mentioned?

The only way you can redeem yourself is to publicly denounce your love for Steak and Shake. And even then, I'll only think about looking for it.

Yeah, sure. I'll PM you. :up:
Cool Thanks

What were the Warriors Three gods of, was it even mentioned?
Not to my knowledge. They seemed to just be Asgardians who raised themselves to higher status by being really good warriors. I wouldn't mind if they weren't gods of anything, actually, but rather early warriors who got sent to Valhalla and just proved themselves such badasses that they got to rub elbows with the gods and the royal family. Or they could just be some of the random other Asgardians who always seem to be wandering around Asgard in establishing shots.
The only way you can redeem yourself is to publicly denounce your love for Steak and Shake. And even then, I'll only think about looking for it.
I never actually said I love Steak & Shake. I just said they make good melts and milkshakes. :oldrazz:

I think the Aesir should have powers befitting their God status. You know one little side story is that many of the Asgardians were used as a base for the northern Conan races.

Their fries are the best of the plain, unflavored fries (i.e. not Rally's/Checkers) I've had, their nuggets are vastly superior to McDonald's mcnuggets and Burger King's chicken fries, their double-stack is way better than McDonald's double-cheeseburger, their dollar menu is better than any other fast food restaurant's, their Classic Double is magnficence incarnate, and even their buns are somehow tastier than other places'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"