Young Odin

The Question said:
I really don't see what patience would have to do with anything. He would find no amusement in simply snapping his fingers and having something nice. Now, conning someone into giving him nice things, that he would enjoy.

It means that his actions aren't so common, and that his manipulation events might be rather rare to you and I, instead of fairly commonplace, as he wouldn't become bored so easily as you or I might.

Silicon Surfer said:
He doesn't need to con anybody to get his luxuries, he simply conjures them magically. There are a vast number of magical dimensions that he could be traveling through and an even vaster number of people of various godly and supernatural races that he could be dealing with to get allies and new magical knowledge.

My point, though, is that he'd find that dreadfully boring. He's a trickster. Tricksters live for the con.

Mistress Gluon said:
It means that his actions aren't so common, and that his manipulation events might be rather rare to you and I, instead of fairly commonplace, as he wouldn't become bored so easily as you or I might.

Doesn't make much sense to me. Wether or not you think something is boring doesn;t have to do with how patient you are. At least, it doesn't always. And in any event, Loki experiences time the same way you and I do. Just because he's nigh-impossible to kill doesn't mean time moves any faster for him.

What I mean is that since time is something much different to him than to you or I, boredom might not come to him so easily. He might decide that sitting in a drunk stupor for several months is a good way to spend his time, where you and I might not find it as such. So the way he splurges his time would definitely be different, as he just has so much more time to do things. So, in effect, his level of boredom would most definitely be different.

Mistress Gluon said:
What I mean is that since time is something much different to him than to you or I, boredom might not come to him so easily. He might decide that sitting in a drunk stupor for several months is a good way to spend his time, where you and I might not find it as such. So the way he splurges his time would definitely be different, as he just has so much more time to do things. So, in effect, his level of boredom would most definitely be different.

The thing is, time isn't any different for him. He experiences it at the same pace that we do. Just because he's nigh-immortal doesn't mean that things move any faster for him.

The Question said:
The thing is, time isn't any different for him. He experiences it at the same pace that we do. Just because he's nigh-immortal doesn't mean that things move any faster for him.

I never said time did move quicker or slower to him.

Con artists want to continually prove that they are smarter than everyone else while Loki takes it as a given that he is one of the smartest if not the smartest. I doubt that Loki would get any real satisfaction out of a con since it would simply confirm what he already considered a long proven truth. Cons would for the most part seem incredibly boring.

Mistress Gluon said:
I never said time did move quicker or slower to him.

But if it moves the same, then he'd still grow bored with things as easily as you or I would. How likely or unlikely it is that he'll die won't necessairily impact his patience at all.

Silicon Surfer said:
Con artists want to continually prove that they are smarter than everyone else while Loki takes it as a given that he is one of the smartest if not the smartest. I doubt that Loki would get any real satisfaction out of a con since it would simply confirm what he already considered a long proven truth. Cons would for the most part seem incredibly boring.

He's a Trickster God. Of course he enjoys grifting. It's inherent to the title of Trickster God.

Although I don't recall the details I think that Hercules has made statement about how gods see time. It was something about how mortal lifespans are so fleeting and are gone almost before a god notices them. An immortal would have to have a very different view of the passage of time just to deal with the ages that they live. Those of you who are young might not realize it but the passage of even a few decades can impact a mortal mind. If a mortal were to be given immortality he would probably go mad from the weight of the years.

Silicon Surfer said:
Although I don't recall the details I think that Hercules has made statement about how gods see time. It was something about how mortal lifespans are so fleeting and are gone almost before a god notices them. An immortal would have to have a very different view of the passage of time just to deal with the ages that they live. Those of you who are young might not realize it but the passage of even a few decades can impact a mortal mind. If a mortal were to be given immortality he would probably go mad from the weight of the years.

Somehow, I doubt that. The gods in Marvel have always seemed to have the same veiw of time that we do. Now, since they have lived a long time, one day might not mean as much to them as it does to someone very young, but I doubt it's to the degree that the quote you gave says it is.

Hercules is a bad basis from which to speculate on Thor's perspective on time. Hercules doesn't age and the Olympians are generally a more laid-back set of gods than the Asgardians. Asgardians have lifespans--long though they may be--that end with or without violence. They also have war beating down their doors constantly. I'd say Thor views time much the same as any mortal would, which is why he generally behaves like a mortal, only more arrogant: life could end at any time for him or his kind, same as any mortal. That the years may stack up to millennia doesn't really change the fact that any day could very likely be Thor's last, or the last of any of his friends, both mortal and immortal.

Well, the Asgardians are still almost impossible to kill under conventional means, so I wouldn't say any day could be his last. Though, since they often go to war with creatures as tough as they are, and they do go to war rather often, I suppose that evens things out a bit.

Also, the Greek pantheon tend to be much more detatched from humans than the Norse. The people of Asgard, royal family in particular, mingle amung humans and treat some as peers, while most Olympians see humans as little more than idle playthings. So, that might also skew Herculese's veiw of things from that of Thor and the Asgardians.

The real villains in the comics should be the giants... Like Ymir, even though I know he's in them. Does anyone know if Balder was in the comics? (Can I have a picture if so?)

marvelman418 said:
The real villains in the comics should be the giants... Like Ymir, even though I know he's in them. Does anyone know if Balder was in the comics? (Can I have a picture if so?)

Balder was a character in the comics, yes. If memory serves, he's suffered more than a few deaths and resurections, which I believe includes Loki shooting him through the heart with a mistletoe arrow (though the Loki and Balder bios I've read weren't entirely clear on this).

I'd at least check out a comic series about young Odin, it could at the very least be a back up to the Thor comics like Young Thor used to be.

That'd be cool, especially now that Odin's gone again. Put a young, badass Volstagg who actually lives up to his boasts and maybe the Serpent to echo the Thor/Loki relationship in there and I'd read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"