Young Odin

The Geek Vault

Come at me bro
Reaction score
I was looking through this Book I have of Mythical Gods and Goddesses and I got to the Norse lore and I began looking at all the different gods. I read about Thor and Balder and Ymir, All very interesting. But I started Reading about Odin and I thought, man if thor was a good comic how cool would odin be? I mean the guy lost a eye to get knowledge, he has a spear which is like thor's hammer. I think it would be really cool to see a Odin or Young odin comic.

PS
I also read about Ragonok, the end of the world for Asgard thing, and Marvel showed it wrong, in the Norse lore Thor and Odin and I think Loki and a man and a woman live by clinging to the tree of Knowledge.

marvelman418 said:
I was looking through this Book I have of Mythical Gods and Goddesses and I got to the Norse lore and I began looking at all the different gods. I read about Thor and Balder and Ymir, All very interesting. But I started Reading about Odin and I thought, man if thor was a good comic how cool would odin be? I mean the guy lost a eye to get knowledge, he has a spear which is like thor's hammer. I think it would be really cool to see a Odin or Young odin comic.

Yeah, Odin's pretty hardcore. They should do some more "Tales of Asgard" books.

marvelman418 said:
I also read about Ragonok, the end of the world for Asgard thing, and Marvel showed it wrong, in the Norse lore Thor and Odin and I think Loki and a man and a woman live by clinging to the tree of Knowledge.

Having read Norse mythology, saying marvel got it wrong is an understatement. The comics is only extremely loosely based on the actual mythology.

Ahura Mazda said:
Having read Norse mythology, saying marvel got it wrong is an understatement. The comics is only extremely loosely based on the actual mythology.

Beyond agreed.

marvelman418 said:

Odin died by being eaten alive by Fenrir, Thor died from poison after killing Jörmungandr.

I'm Pretty sure in both Mythology and Marvel's world Odin is actually 4 Warriors merged into one Being. Not sure of the issue, but, I know they covered it in the Eye of Odin run during vol. 1.

Odin's origin is tied into the origin of the Odinpower in the comics, and there have been several origins for both. One is indeed that Odin's brothers, Vili and Ve, died in battle and gave their essences up to Odin, effectively merging with him to create the Odinpower. So that would kind of make him several people in one.

Anyway, Odin's pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing him in his younger days, especially if it's a portrayal similar to the myths, where Odin is an underhanded, manipulative jerk. :)

You know what I'd like to see, is a Tales of Asgard type series starring Magni. That would be kind of cool.

When they re-start the Thor comic, I wish they'd have Loki be more like the Trickster god of Norse myth. You don't really get a God of Evil unless you have a dualistic religion, which the Norse didn't have. The various deities could be helpful in one story and manipulative ba****ds in the next.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Anyway, Odin's pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing him in his younger days, especially if it's a portrayal similar to the myths, where Odin is an underhanded, manipulative jerk. :)

I always saw Odin as being less about doing what's morally right and more about doing what's best for Asgard. So, he'd end up screwing over alot of people for the safety of his kingdom.

Galact-Gal said:
When they re-start the Thor comic, I wish they'd have Loki be more like the Trickster god of Norse myth. You don't really get a God of Evil unless you have a dualistic religion, which the Norse didn't have. The various deities could be helpful in one story and manipulative ba****ds in the next.

Well, Loki dod have his malevolent streaks in the myths. He was, at least to the other gods, quite spiteful. However, to humans, he was actually rather nice. Might be interesting to see Loki of the comics more like that.

I'm fine with comic Loki as he is, myself. He grew out of his outright evil phase long ago, anyway. He basically just hates Thor out of envy and Odin out of spite and doesn't care about collateral damage when he attacks them. The only reason he attacks mortals is usually because Thor tries so hard to protect them.

TheCorpulent1 said:
I'm fine with comic Loki as he is, myself. He grew out of his outright evil phase long ago, anyway. He basically just hates Thor out of envy and Odin out of spite and doesn't care about collateral damage when he attacks them. The only reason he attacks mortals is usually because Thor tries so hard to protect them.

True. I've felt for a while that Loki should really only be a villain to Thor, and simply an annoyance or, on very very rare occasions, an ally to everyone else.

I felt that Loki as he stands is just fine. He doesn't really deal with anybody BUT Thor, since he cares less about everybody.

Yeah, let him obsess over Asgard and ignore everyone else. It works for him. Until someone crosses him, of course. Then he should wreak some unholy vengeance upon their blasted souls with all of the vile, black magicks at his command.

Loki never really cared about Midgard, it doesn't really suit him. Mortals aren't really funny to him, they're just cannon fodder. Tricking gods like himself is all he cares about, since it's real entertainment.

True. Although, I'd say that in the brief periods where he's not presuing his psychotic obsession with Asgard's royal family, he'd probably find amusement toying with humans. I mean, he doesn't fight Thor and the others all of the time, so there must be something he does to occupy his down time, right? Way I see it, he probably "unwinds" by playing the role of a grifter and/or prankster on Earth frome time to time.

The only time he seems to toy with mortals is when something needs doing, or he's starting a long term chain reaction to piss his brother off.

However, we almost never see him when he's not trying to screw with the people of Asgard. We really don't know what he does on his own time, and it wouldn't surprise me if he wondered the Earth a bit in that time.

True, though he seems to enjoy luxury over any form of hard work or anything. He probably just sits back and watches as the universe wages war and such. He seems entirely lazy to me.

But then, that wouldn't fit a Trickster god, would it? I mean, of course he enjoys a luxurious lifestyle, but he'd probably find it dreadfully boring if he weren't conning people out of what they had to get it.

God's don't HAVE to sit and do the same thing all day. He also enjoys a fair amount of chaos and such, as while he is the trickster god, he also seems to enjoy large scale destruction and what not. Pranks aren't really his only thing. If that were the case, he'd just paint Thor's face while he was sleeping, or morph into Jake's girlfriend, only to reveal himself at the last moment.

Mistress Gluon said:
God's don't HAVE to sit and do the same thing all day. He also enjoys a fair amount of chaos and such, as while he is the trickster god, he also seems to enjoy large scale destruction and what not. Pranks aren't really his only thing. If that were the case, he'd just paint Thor's face while he was sleeping, or morph into Jake's girlfriend, only to reveal himself at the last moment.

Well, there's a difference between how he acts towards the people of Asgard and how he acts towards everyone else. He really truely hates Thor, Odin, Sif, Balder, and the rest of them. He wants them to hurt. He's pretty indifferent towards everyone else, I'd say. And, in any event, my point is that he'd be bored with luxury if he ddin't con someone to get it.

I can understand what you mean, though I would figure God's would have infinite amounts more patience than someone with a lifespan of 80 or so years.

Mistress Gluon said:
I can understand what you mean, though I would figure God's would have infinite amounts more patience than someone with a lifespan of 80 or so years.

I really don't see what patience would have to do with anything. He would find no amusement in simply snapping his fingers and having something nice. Now, conning someone into giving him nice things, that he would enjoy.

The Question said:
Well, there's a difference between how he acts towards the people of Asgard and how he acts towards everyone else. He really truely hates Thor, Odin, Sif, Balder, and the rest of them. He wants them to hurt. He's pretty indifferent towards everyone else, I'd say. And, in any event, my point is that he'd be bored with luxury if he ddin't con someone to get it.

He doesn't need to con anybody to get his luxuries, he simply conjures them magically. There are a vast number of magical dimensions that he could be traveling through and an even vaster number of people of various godly and supernatural races that he could be dealing with to get allies and new magical knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"