Superman Returns Solar Energy and Kryptonite...

^ To a knowledgable fan of Superman yes, tho i'm not sure it qualifies as camp, but my concern is that it is for many an introduction to the character.

there's always been artistic license associated with kryptonite

to be honest, i doubt there is a definitive aspect to it..

it's like wolverine's healing factor and fighting abilities are completely dependant on who is writing him and have no real baring on any past stories.

same goes with supes and kryptonite

That's what I thought.

The organic webshooters in Spiderman eliminated the danger that he could run out of web. Somehow writers will still put Spidey in jeopardy.

Even if Superman can fly with a little Kryptonite splinter, if you irradiate him with Kryptonite as Metallo would do, then he's helpless all the same.

In movies Superman is a little more resistent to Kryptonite than in comics, in comics he can get married just like that; in movies he can't. Part of the unavoidable set of differences every superhero movie has had.

^ To a knowledgable fan of Superman yes, tho i'm not sure it qualifies as camp, but my concern is that it is for many an introduction to the character.

As a kid, I was introduced to Superman by Lois and Clark. But luckily that didnt screw up my later views on Superman; given it was a really bad interpretation.

lol I was introduced to Batman by Adam West.

I dont think Smallville will do much damage. As long as some of its audience has the capacity for the slightest bit of intelligence, they should be able to see right through it.

I loved the film and I loved that part (Routh was on the freaking ball with the look on his face as he tries to toss a freaking continent) but what I thought abosolutely killed it is when they removed another small piece of kryptonite from his back when they were in the hospital. completly unneccesary.

TOTALLY agree with this, i wish that small scene had been taken out. It would have cleared up a lot of the confusion people have about that scene.

I think it was a realistic take on the situation. Too many people expect it to be 'black and white' - i.e., if he's near Kryptonite, he has no power .... and if he's near the Sun, he's at his full peak. Obviously there are grey areas in between where he will be weakened but still much stronger than your average human.

Once he absorbed the sun's rays he basically charged himself just enough to deal with the kryptonite-filled continent and fling it into space. There was the small matter of willpower too. Obviously as soon as he let it go and saw it drifting off (and guaranteed that Metropolis was safe) he gave in to his fatigue and kryptonite poisoning and immediately fell unconscious.

Gaz

Agreed once again, IMO this scene was there to show that Superman's greatest power is his will and determination, not super strength or super speed, etc.

Y'know what I don't understand. Why don't most enemiesor whoever use some artificial lighting source of red sunlight. Its seems much more efficient than kryptonite(which never actually helps anyone beat him by the way.)

^Well Ruin recently did that in the comics, it worked out well, but i'm not sure how it all finished as i havent read the comic Ruin Revealed yet.

Ruin? I'll have to check that out. Ofcousre Supes will probably still win in the end because he's the goodguy, but from what I remember on the show the military actually captured him with red sunlight usage. And thats also how Superboy was defeated.It just seems more efficient than kryptonite.

Ruin? I'll have to check that out. Ofcousre Supes will probably still win in the end because he's the goodguy, but from what I remember on the show the military actually captured him with red sunlight usage. And thats also how Superboy was defeated.It just seems more efficient than kryptonite.

Yeah, he's quite a good villain, he blasts red solar energy at Superman. I'm sure he's in more but i only know he was in 'Unconventional Warfare' and 'Ruin Revealed,' both of which are available in graphic novel form.

From a Wikipedia article on Superman:

"The movie also proved that while Kryponite may disrupt his powers, if Superman absorbs sufficient solar energy, he can use his powers while in the presence of Kryptonite, as shown while lifting the Crystal Island to space."

Should this be incorperated into canon? The ability to defy the power-stripping effects of Kryptonite temporarily if extreme levels of solar energy are first absorbed?

The effect was only temporary however as Superman soon lost his powers.

Maybe theyll work this in on the next 'Science of Superman' doc.
No. It shouldn't. You should leave kryptonite as the one weakness he has. Not a tainted, watered down verison. He only has one weakness, so lets make it official as a weakness.

No. It shouldn't. You should leave kryptonite as the one weakness he has. Not a tainted, watered down verison. He only has one weakness, so lets make it official as a weakness.

Oh yeah, and quick! Otherwise some of you won't be able to bash the movie with a straight face. :dry:

so some random person put this on Wikipedia after seeing SR, and this is supposed to prove that what they did in SR makes sense?

anyone care to look up "circular argument" on Wikipedia?

Its been done in the comics apparently; that was the reasoning behind this arguement.

Steelsheen...do you remember the issues again?

Even if it is in the comics, which I wasnt disputing, the gist of the issue is not that Singer took liberties with the effects of kryptonite. Most incarnations of Superman have had it effect him to different degrees. My issue is more with the fact that it's effect on him is inconsistent within the same film.

If you want to establish that kryptonite has effect "A" on him in your continuity then it should always have effect "A" on him, not effect "B" when it suits the plot. Smallville does that from time to time and it drives me friggen nuts.

Even if it is in the comics, which I wasnt disputing, the gist of the issue is not that Singer took liberties with the effects of kryptonite. Most incarnations of Superman have had it effect him to different degrees. My issue is more with the fact that it's effect on him is inconsistent within the same film.

If you want to establish that kryptonite has effect "A" on him in your continuity then it should always have effect "A" on him, not effect "B" when it suits the plot. Smallville does that from time to time and it drives me friggen nuts.

Well, Superman in comics got marriued to Lois. In movies he can't.

In comics, Joe Chill is never captured. In movies he is.

Movie things.

Or Wikipedia is just "assuming." :)

I dont understand this perceived inconsistancy though.

Superman flew up into the sky and maximized his solar energy only once in the film; and that was just before he lifted the landmass.

Smallville's kept it generally consistant with Clark. Kryptonite always has him on the floor in pain. Its just way overly inconsistant with how Kryptonite affects humans.

I dont understand this perceived inconsistancy though.

Superman flew up into the sky and maximized his solar energy only once in the film; and that was just before he lifted the landmass.

Smallville's kept it generally consistant with Clark. Kryptonite always has him on the floor in pain. Its just way overly inconsistant with how Kryptonite affects humans.
Well superman was standing around in sun all day, and flying around in Sun just before it, longer than his short stretch of floating up in the sun before, and when he landed on the place, it wasnt long before some guy could walk up and punch him. he lost his power faster than anything and now he can power up for a few seconds and have the pure stuff right next to him and not get depowered.

But didnt he pretty much use each one of his powers to rescue people in the city in the scenes before he flew to NK admist the storm?

Theres no way he could have been at full power when he landed on NK.

Its been done in the comics apparently; that was the reasoning behind this arguement.

Steelsheen...do you remember the issues again?

right off the top of my head: Kingdom Come. i remember a villain there said something to the effect of that Kryptonite may not stop Superman so easily because of all the time he spent holed up in the Fortress.

there are other comics in the regular issh, i just couldnt remember which ones specifically sorry.[

But didnt he pretty much use each one of his powers to rescue people in the city in the scenes before he flew to NK admist the storm?

Theres no way he could have been at full power when he landed on NK.

WHy would he not be at full power? Isn't Superman always at full power unless he's in the presence of Kryptonite? He's not like a rechargabel battery that runs out, is he? I don't think that's ever been suggested. If so, then he would be less powerful on cloudy days or at night, wouldn't he?

WHy would he not be at full power? Isn't Superman always at full power unless he's in the presence of Kryptonite? He's not like a rechargabel battery that runs out, is he? I don't think that's ever been suggested. If so, then he would be less powerful on cloudy days or at night, wouldn't he?

Nope, even calculators based on solar energy work in cloudy days. Even plants do photosyntesis. I think it's more about solar energy than solar heat.

hi, afan. got a larger pic of your avatar? and who is that superman? a manip?

btw, regarding these solar energy and kryptonite craps in SR, the ideas were so initial, they never given it a further thought before putting it into the movie.

I think Justice Bringer was referring more to his anatomical endurance. Although he's from another planet, Superman's body functions much in the same way a human's will. He tires and suffers from the effects of fatigue if he pushes himself physically(at his level of strength).

You could compare Superman's saving of Metropolis in Superman Returns to helping your friend move to their new house across the street. No, it won't kill you, but you would be at a significantly lesser grade of physical performance if the neighborhood bully came to pick a fight with you.

hi, afan. got a larger pic of your avatar? and who is that superman? a manip?

btw, regarding these solar energy and kryptonite craps in SR, the ideas were so initial, they never given it a further thought before putting it into the movie.

Hey superbaby,
The avatar is a manip, it's actually Tedy Bruschi of the New England Patriots.
A larger image.......
attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back