Some artistic devices that annoy me.

Because what works for one hero's look doesn't necessarily mean another warrants the same. But why fix something that isn't broken in the first place?
I've never cared for black suit Spidey because the character doesn't call for it; his look is timeless IMO and the scheme fits "his world". Yeah, maybe you could tweak it here and there but nothing dramatic to take away from it.

Batman, on the other hand is more universal. He can be received from both ends of the spectrum; Campy fun, in the middle or dreadfully dark.

You want to appease some young kids and some old school guys, go with the more cheerful blue, gray & yellow.

You want to go all serious and dark with Bats, give him the black and grey aesthetic. In either case, he wouldn't miss a beat with fans.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's enough of the character's designs to go around and depending on my mood, I could enjoy either look... because he is BATMAN.

If you're ever fortunate to work for DC one day, Chris (and I hope that you'll get the chance) you can come up with your own incarnation and draw a Bat fanbase. It's hard to do that with Spider-Man and keep a lasting audience because his look's just cool as it is. Or maybe that's just me.:o

Last edited:
I still prefer him in black, w/the dark motif. THat's how Kane intended him & that's how he should stay. Had they never gone the campy route, the Schumacher debacle would have never happened.
And I honestly don't see myself working for DC. I won't say I never would, but it's kinda unlikely. Batman's the only character they have that I care about, first & foremost, & I'm writing my own comic, which takes place in Chicago, not some made-up city. Likewise I don't want to go to Marvel (which was my dream for years) because I wouldn't want to drop my character into a post-SHRA world.

I still prefer him in black, w/the dark motif. THat's how Kane intended him & that's how he should stay. Had they never gone the campy route, the Schumacher debacle would have never happened.
And I honestly don't see myself working for DC. I won't say I never would, but it's kinda unlikely. Batman's the only character they have that I care about, first & foremost, & I'm writing my own comic, which takes place in Chicago, not some made-up city. Likewise I don't want to go to Marvel (which was my dream for years) because I wouldn't want to drop my character into a post-SHRA world.
try taking him/her to DYNAMITE COMICS

Storm not looking like a black woman, but rather a dark-tanned white woman.
storm01.jpg

I still prefer him in black, w/the dark motif. THat's how Kane intended him & that's how he should stay.

Fair enough. Still, it isn't a world-ender. I'm a Batman fan and I love both versions. Very few heroes have the ability to be tweaked as much and not lose a step...
Had they never gone the campy route, the Schumacher debacle would have never happened.
Are you so sure of that?

In any regard, good luck to you. :cwink:

I would rather my book be cancelled than compromised, but that's just me.

In case I haven't mentioned it, Batman looking like a gargoyle.

Storm not looking like a black woman, but rather a dark-tanned white woman.
storm01.jpg
That's similar to Vixen and M's problem, although they don't even bother to color the two of them darker anymore. They're black women who somehow turned into white women over the years.

You & I both know, Corp-that this^ is the darkest we've seen Ororo in YEARS. Especially since the movies started.

But you can at least clearly tell she's meant to be a black woman still. Vixen and M are literally colored no differently from characters who are supposed to be white. I love X-Factor, but every time I see M, I cringe a little.

Who made that piece of art..? Reminds me of Land :-)hehe:) The face.. reminds a bit of Adriana Lima

It is Land, and it's probably a direct copy of Adriana Lima's face, now that you mention it.

But you can at least clearly tell she's meant to be a black woman still. Vixen and M are literally colored no differently from characters who are supposed to be white. I love X-Factor, but every time I see M, I cringe a little.
Wait, M's supposed to be black? Holy crap, you just blew my mind.

Yeah, she was a really dark-skinned Algerian/Bosnian combo when she first appeared. Colored the same as Synch, who was black.

I always thought of her as an Arab. I mean, Algeria have pretty mixed stock, but I always figured she was descended primarily from the Arabs there.

I don't think it's clear what her descent is, but Arabs can be pretty dark as well, and M was initially colored about as dark as your average black person. It's not so much what her genealogy may or may not permit, it's what was established in her early appearances.

I don't think it's clear what her descent is, but Arabs can be pretty dark as well, and M was initially colored about as dark as your average black person. It's not so much what her genealogy may or may not permit, it's what was established in her early appearances.

Oh, no, I know. I was just being anal retentive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"