Some artistic devices that annoy me.

No, sir. For I am not a duck.
is.jpg
Daffy.jpg

Why is Superman drawn with so much muscle tone?

How does a guy who can lift a planet like you and I lift a basketball build muscle? Just what kind of weights is the man working out with?

While he should have some muscle if he's gonna be running around in tights, I agree that this
superman-our_worlds_co.jpg

is extreme.
I say the same of when they do it to Batman. I've seen him looking like the Hulk. The purpose of his costume is supposedly to intimidate. Who needs a costume to scare people if you look like you can bench-press a Buick?

While he should have some muscle if he's gonna be running around in tights, I agree that this
superman-our_worlds_co.jpg

is extreme.
I say the same of when they do it to Batman. I've seen him looking like the Hulk. The purpose of his costume is supposedly to intimidate. Who needs a costume to scare people if you look like you can bench-press a Buick?

Personally, I don't have THAT big a problem with McGuinness. His art's kinda goofy, but that's the point I guess. He's going for a cartoony look. If used in the right title (a lighthearted one), I can find myself enjoying it.

Well, that level of muscle tone would make sense on Batman, at least, if not for the fact that his costume is armored like a mofo. I agree on Superman, though. I prefer when they draw him as a big guy without much tone. JLA/JSA: Virtue and Vice is one of my favorite depictions of Supes, although Pacheco went on to start putting a lot of tone on him later.

Personally, I don't have THAT big a problem with McGuinness. His art's kinda goofy, but that's the point I guess. He's going for a cartoony look. If used in the right title (a lighthearted one), I can find myself enjoying it.
Right. Personally, I like McGuinness' work on Supes. It is what it is. One could probably derive a nice animated influence from his style.

But Turner's Superman is just as toned, plus he's got the face of a 13-year-old boy. :huh:

I wouldn't go that far.
superman4.jpg

But he is about as bulky, I guess. Whose Superman was I thinking of, then?

Byrne's, perhaps?

superman1maq5.gif

One Supes' most iconic images, IMO. :up:

I like Byrne's Superman too.

yeah--I checked this thread way too late and I don't know what we're talking about right now.. :o

Basically, things artists tend to do that are annoying.

Some of us feel that Superman shouldn't be too big. Or that Spider-Man shouldn't be too scrawny. Or that Ghost Rider shouldn't have any muscle tone at all.

Heh, I remember the Ghost Rider one :up:

I can live with it and all...But I don't really like the yellow signal-like bat symbol on the chest! Only yellow/gold that should be on the suit should just be the utility belt!

I don't think it should even be there.
But that's more of a design issue.

I mean I don't even think he should wear a yellow belt. For a "Dark Knight" who's supposed to be modeled on a bat, & whose costume is supposed to be designed for stealth & scariness, they sure do a hell of a lot to brighten it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"