The body image thread and the problems that may result

Wait, isn't this ecto-endo-meso stuff considered to be stupid now? Or am I thinking of something else?

Wait, isn't this ecto-endo-meso stuff considered to be stupid now? Or am I thinking of something else?
I think it's more than a little oversimplified. I haven't really looked into it in a while, but I've always felt it's a pretty poor representation, because those body types are not fixed as you get older. Arnold used to always say he was ecto-meso, because if you look at him when he was young, in his teenage years, he does look quite tall and skinny. Later on he looks straight up meso.

Genetics don't really necessarily work that way though. You can have traits of any, or all three.

I think it's more a helpful generalization, not so much a hard fact, in my opinion.

Last edited:

This is correct.

There are a lot of Myths out there that will simply not die, because people continue to parrot it all over the internet, without looking into the research at all.

What we have found out is that Metabolism is rather consistent among humans, the key to variation is lean body mass (LBM).

Part of the myth started with the confounding factors in self reported surveys. For example someone who is obese claims they don’t consume many calories. This can be an issue with self perception of their own diet. The opposite is also true, where some thin people honestly perceive the amount they eat as a lot. So the belief was that they must have vastly different metabolisms.

Truth is, as we now know, their basal metabolic rate (BMR), would we the ratio based on their lean LBM.

The human body is very efficient at getting the calories (a measure of energy) out of our food. It is also fairly consistent in burning it to support the basic metabolic functions.

There are people who for YEARS said any form of caloric restriction would cause the body to immediately slow down or stop the metabolism. But somehow no research showed this, at all.

That is because if that were to happen you would have some obvious, and VERY serious medical emergencies. One of them would be hypothermia, as well as organ failure. It takes a certain amount of energy to maintain body temperature (unless you’re a reptile), as well as keep your organs running.

Oddly, those people who "claim" they have slow metabolisms are still 98.6F, like everyone else. Their organs still function… Did their body somehow magically get around the physical law of conservation of matter and energy?

The typing would be a better predictor of appetite and the production of the hormone Gherlin, but really not metabolism. Our BMR is not some magical thing that mysteriously wastes energy in some and stores it in others when we all have the same body temperature and all our organs have to function for us to live.

They varying factor is Lean Body Mass (LBM). Taller people tend to have more lean body mass, and therefor burn more calories. Shorter folks obviously less. That's where the idea of taller people being thin "ectos" come from, as well as shorter "endos".

The issue is many sources of food, weather a restaurant or a school cafeteria feed both the same amount. Even the basic government issued food pyramid and daily 2000 cals, will be not enough for some, and too much for others.

Again the key variable is still LBM.

Not magical energy wasting based on somatotype.

I think it's more than a little oversimplified. I haven't really looked into it in a while, but I've always felt it's a pretty poor representation, because those body types are not fixed as you get older. Arnold used to always say he was ecto-meso, because if you look at him when he was young, in his teenage years, he does look quite tall and skinny. Later on he looks straight up meso.

Genetics don't really necessarily work that way though. You can have traits of any, or all three.

I think it's more a helpful generalization, not so much a hard fact, in my opinion.
A huuuuge number of teenage boys are tall and skinny. It isn't until they hit their 30s and 40s that they start to fill out. I'm still waiting on my fiance. He's going to turn 31 this year and he still looks like he goes to high school. :funny:

It really has to do with body frame, I think. If you look at my wrists, it's super-obvious that I was not built to carry a lot of weight on my frame. I have a couple friends who have very large frames, and would look close to death if they were at my level of leanness.

Also with the metabolism thing, larger people don't have to burn as many calories just to stay warm. My extremities are constantly cold because my metabolism doesn't work fast enough to warm them up when they're so far from my vital organs.

That's all a bunch of lies.

They'll tell you an actor is 6'5" 220, when they're actually 6'0" 175. Football teams do it too. Danny Woodhead is only about a buck forty, but his stat sheet was all done in pads and cleats, and swears he is 185. It's to make them seem more amazing than they really are. To hype them as actors and hype the movies they are in. "This guy packed on 25lbs of muscle in six weeks to play Thor!". Bullsh**! Horse steroids wouldn't gain you 25lbs of solid muscle that quickly if you took elephant sized doses.

Like SuperMike pointed out as well, most bodybuilders, or people like The Rock, lose a lot of weight to be actors to look right on camera.

His Arnold pics are a great example, considering how massive Arnold once was.

(I do see Hemsworth is 6'5" though. He's probably walking around in the 200s just due to that)

Hmm interesting,, well hell with the forum,, Optimus lets go out for some superhero roles.

i ended my previous post before it could reach "tl;dr" status so here's the rest of my point.

The food stamp program, or EBT (electronic balance transfer). I pretty much hate it. People can buy whatever they want with it and it's mostly on junk. This is free money towards foods people get every month, with some families getting 500+ per month easily. for instance, i had a customer today who paid for $709 in groceries with EBT and still had a balance left on the card.

I feel like this program should be ran more like WIC. if you're going to be getting government assistance, then it should be limited to healthier choices like WIC is.

More times than not I see these orders come through and 70% of what they are purchasing are junk foods, snacks, and high processed foods and hardly anything that's really healthy because it costs more.
there's no reason sodas should be EBT eligible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"