The body image thread and the problems that may result

When it takes over their life, and their health becomes at risk.
Not only health, but relationships too. Unless you manage to find a community at the gym as equally fitness-obsessed as you. :funny: I know that it's a limitation that one of my coworkers has yet to figure out. He's quite fitness/outdoors-obsessed and has yet to find a girl who can keep up...

I have an aunt who is slavish to her daily workouts and diet regimen. Even my type-A overachiever sister thinks this aunt is "scarily intense." :funny:

Last edited:

Define "fitness obsessed". If you're talking about someone who starves themselves, then obviously they are not "fitness obsessed" as fitness is defined as being fit AND healthy... but they might be into sculpting their bodies. I know many people who are "fitness obsessed" and in no way are they unhealthy... they do put countless hours in the gym and eat to fit their lifestyle, but they are also extremely healthy compared to someone who leads a more sedentary lifestyle.

As far as Anita's desription of the fitness fanatic who tries to push their lifestyle onto everyone else, that might make them slightly similar to religious fanatics... but I feel that they are in the minority. Most people I know might speak about their regimen but will not push their lifestyle upon you unless you request their help.

Either way, I fail to see how that is a bad thing.

At first glance I thought the second pic of Arnie was from T3 wow I wonder if actors seeing them selfs looking. All good in movies and what not messes with them like do they realize they dont look totally like that¿

That's what i though too. If he looked like this in T2, i wonder how bad he looked behind the scenes of T3?

Define "fitness obsessed". If you're talking about someone who starves themselves, then obviously they are not "fitness obsessed" as fitness is defined as being fit AND healthy... but they might be into sculpting their bodies. I know many people who are "fitness obsessed" and in no way are they unhealthy... they do put countless hours in the gym and eat to fit their lifestyle, but they are also extremely healthy compared to someone who leads a more sedentary lifestyle.

As far as Anita's desription of the fitness fanatic who tries to push their lifestyle onto everyone else, that might make them slightly similar to religious fanatics... but I feel that they are in the minority. Most people I know might speak about their regimen but will not push their lifestyle upon you unless you request their help.

It really depends on who's observing. Like, my family is pretty healthy, but we wouldn't understand the kind of person who spends hours in the gym each day and religiously counts calories. It doesn't seem like a fulfilling life, to us. But to that person who spends hours in the gym, it very well could be fulfilling. To each their own. -shrug-

My coworker has pretty much given up trying to find a girlfriend, though. :funny:

I would have to put myself in the camp of someone who is going to the gym for between 2-3 hours a day, but not weekends, and I religiously watch what I am eating.

But, to put the above into context, I am fighting back to fitness after 6 or 7 years of total neglect. All my own fault. I became very unwell.

By using the myfitnesspal website to be able to monitor my exercise and eating regime, means that I actually feel no stress about what I am doing. Because I can see, at a glance, how I am doing overall. But to answer your (kind of) question, I find it very fulfilling to see the changes I have made to my body, fitness and well-being these last six months. Once I get myself to where I want to be, I will throttle back on the amount of training I am doing so that I am merely maintaining what I have got.

However, my fiancée thinks I am nuts... She may be right of course!

Last edited:
I would have to put myself in the camp of someone who is going to the gym for between 2-3 hours a day, but not weekends, and I religiously watch what I am eating.

But, to put the above into context, I am fighting back to fitness after 6 or 7 years of total neglect. All my own fault. I became very unwell.

By using the myfitnesspal website to be able to monitor my exercise and eating regime, means that I actually feel no stress about what I am doing. Because I can see, at a glance, how I am doing overall. But to answer your (kind of) question, I find it very fulfilling to see the changes I have made to my body, fitness and well-being these last six months. Once I get myself to where I want to be, I will throttle back on the amount of training I am doing so that I am merely maintaining what I have got.

However, my fiancée thinks I am nuts... She may be right of course!
I tried to count calories once in college, and it was exhausting. No, I do not know what exactly was in the dinner entree at the dining hall tonight, but it's asking me to add EVERYTHING! :funny: The websites and apps today are probably way better than they were 6 years ago, though. I just didn't have the motivation for it. Like I don't have the motivation it takes to eat the extra 200 or so calories a day to gain weight. :funny: Though it IS fulfilling to see how much weight I can lift now, vs last summer when I started.

As long as your fiancée is understanding and open-minded and self-confident in her own right. She might feel pressured if she's not in the same shape as you, especially since you have extremely detailed physical goals. Or she might get scared that she won't be good enough for you once you "get hot." But that's certainly not a given. It really depends on the two of you.

I'm religious about it, but have no desire to show anybody else to "error of their ways"
Perfectly said. :up:

If someone enjoys working out on a consistent basis then I don't see how that's a problem. I'm not understanding how that would become a potential health risk...

Nailed it.

Im about your size...6'1 185 to 190lbs just depends... hemsworth got up to be around 220 but he is 6'5 I think.. Bale for BB is our height and I think he got to 195lbs. really depends on frame type to be honest.
That's all a bunch of lies.

They'll tell you an actor is 6'5" 220, when they're actually 6'0" 175. Football teams do it too. Danny Woodhead is only about a buck forty, but his stat sheet was all done in pads and cleats, and swears he is 185. It's to make them seem more amazing than they really are. To hype them as actors and hype the movies they are in. "This guy packed on 25lbs of muscle in six weeks to play Thor!". Bullsh**! Horse steroids wouldn't gain you 25lbs of solid muscle that quickly if you took elephant sized doses.

Like SuperMike pointed out as well, most bodybuilders, or people like The Rock, lose a lot of weight to be actors to look right on camera.

His Arnold pics are a great example, considering how massive Arnold once was.

(I do see Hemsworth is 6'5" though. He's probably walking around in the 200s just due to that)

Last edited:
The fitness obsessed people I work with are folks who act like they're superior to people who aren't like them. If they see you eating something that isn't "healthy", then they will lecture you about the benefits of a healthy diet. And yet they smoke like chimneys and go binge drinking every weekend. It's really quite a spectacle when you call them out on it. But I think their attitude problem stems from them being short in stature. Like pumped-up hobbits. And it doesn't help when they look like they walked right off the set of Jersey Shore.

gs_chris_hemsworth_2.jpg

That's Hemsworth in Thor mode (I know ladies...get it out)

I'm not talking away from him. Clearly in great shape. Just not the size he comes across in the movies again.

^^^^ The Autobot leader is correct.

The stats inflation in celebrities and sports. People like their larger than life heroes. Many heights and weights are exaggerated.

Another thing most people do not realize is how prevelant the use of Anabolic Steroids and growth hormone and stimulants, and thyroid medications, aka Performance Enhancing Drugs (PEDs) are among even Hollywood celebrities.

Now, nobody is gaining 25 pounds of actual fibrous muscle tissue in 6 weeks. I don't care if you're on Phil Heath's stack. Not happening in that time frame.

On the other hand, you will have a celebrity put on perhaps 5 pounds of muscle and drop 10 pounds of bodyfat in that time frame, but even then the use of PEDs are included.

Sorry to say it, but that is true, for if an adult man is already healthy and in decent shape, he would be lucky to gain another 5 pounds of muscle in a year naturally, especially while reducing fat at all at the same time.

When an actor does this, in 6 weeks using PEDs, and often training in a gym with bodybuilder coaching them, the story that we get is spun.

It is concocted and fed to the media; is that the actor gained 25 pounds of muscle, naturally, training crossfit style and "kettle-bells".

When the movie is filmed the actor gets pumped, using weights, on the set, right before filming. Often after a dry carb load.

This way they are mildly dehydrated, and the carbohydrates are shuttled into the muscles. Carbs are also solutes, and attract 3 grams of water, per 1 gram of carb. This then pulls remaining fluid out from under the skin, and fat, and into the muscles, making the muscles temporarily look much larger and stand out more, and gives the illusion of much lower bodyfat% then the actor actually is.

With the correct lighting and camera angles, the Audience now is conditioned to believe it was really a gain of 25 pounds of muscle, drug free, from some cardio and kettle-bell training.

I find it funny that people are so surprised to find out that Hollywood would dare show them an Illusion.

The stats inflation in celebrities and sports. People like their larger than life heroes. Many heights and weights are exaggerated.

Another thing most people do not realize is how prevelant the use of Anabolic Steroids and growth hormone and stimulants, and thyroid medications, aka Performance Enhancing Drugs (PEDs) are among even Hollywood celebrities.

Now, nobody is gaining 25 pounds of actual fibrous muscle tissue in 6 weeks. I don't care if you're on Phil Heath's stack. Not happening in that time frame.

Very solid point. Often first time lifters will see 8-10lbs increases their first year, but after that, even with consistent use of steroids or HGH, it can drop to 3 to 4 pounds of solid muscle a year after that.

Since most actors are already fairly conditioned, like you say, ain't no way they put on 20-25 lbs in weeks!
On the other hand, you will have a celebrity put on perhaps 5 pounds of muscle and drop 10 pounds of bodyfat in that time frame, but even then the use of PEDs are included.
Depending on the character it may be like 5 pounds of muscle AND 15 lbs of fat. Especially if you're playing a "big" character, or don't have to be shirtless throughout the movie. Fat is not necessarily a bad thing for an actor to have depending on what effect they are going for.
Sorry to say it, but that is true, for if an adult man is already healthy and in decent shape, he would be lucky to gain another 5 pounds of muscle in a year naturally, especially while reducing fat at all at the same time.
Especially if they aren't pre-disposed to do so when they are younger.
When an actor does this, in 6 weeks using PEDs, and often training in a gym with bodybuilder coaching them, the story that we get is spun.

It is concocted and fed to the media; is that the actor gained 25 pounds of muscle, naturally, training crossfit style and "kettle-bells".
Yeah, I heard that one about Hemsworth. He used "kettle bells". As if there was something unique about kettle bells. Like they were a magic weight that magically did something dumbells don't do. Yeah. Right.:whatever:
When the movie is filmed the actor gets pumped, using weights, on the set, right before filming. Often after a dry carb load.

This way they are mildly dehydrated, and the carbohydrates are shuttled into the muscles. Carbs are also solutes, and attract 3 grams of water, per 1 gram of carb. This then pulls remaining fluid out from under the skin, and fat, and into the muscles, making the muscles temporarily look much larger and stand out more, and gives the illusion of much lower bodyfat% then the actor actually is.

With the correct lighting and camera angles, the Audience now is conditioned to believe it was really a gain of 25 pounds of muscle, drug free, from some cardio and kettle-bell training.
This is me three years ago after doing all that. Pretty much exactly as you described. Yes, as everyone can see, that makes a stark contrast from what you look like normally.

The funny thing is, I thought I looked like a crackhead when they took these. Right afterwards I was so hungry I ate three hamburgers from Five Guys, a whole pint of ice cream, and 2 peanut butter sandwiches.

61102_556880290554_3734836_n.jpg

The other thing I'm doing here which no one would know is my hands are gripping my skin underneath my shirt and pulling it upwards to make it more flush against my abs and chest.
I find it funny that people are so surprised to find out that Hollywood would dare show them an Illusion.
Of course not! It destroys the movie magic!

Perfectly said. :up:

If someone enjoys working out on a consistent basis then I don't see how that's a problem. I'm not understanding how that would become a potential health risk...
Many anorexics do cardio for hours while starving themselves to keep their weight low. That's a health risk.

So yeah, "working out on a consistent basis" needs a "while eating a healthy and robust diet" to go along with it. :oldrazz:

:funny: Seriously. They're actors. They don't owe us an "honest" way of doing things. As long as they look the part....

The lawyers obviously would want to make them do things in a healthy manner, but it still wouldn't stop someone like Christian Bale from getting down to a dangerously unhealthy weight like in The Machinist, and then ballooning up right after to play Batman.

Also, yes, a lot of body image issues would be fixed if people DID realize just how Photoshopped and padded up models and actors are. I saw a candid topless pic of Miranda Kerr doing a photoshoot, and her boobs are almost my size, and I am flaaaaaat. I was a bit :argh: thinking how I used to feel so inadequate up top, but apparently all I needed was a ton of padding and then I'd be good to go. :funny:

Many anorexics do cardio for hours while starving themselves to keep their weight low. That's a health risk.

So yeah, "working out on a consistent basis" needs a "while eating a healthy and robust diet" to go along with it. :oldrazz:
That to me isn't a fit person so they are automatically excluded.

I didn't even feel the need to include eating healthy as I figured that's an obvious trait that one needs to have to really be considered as being healthy and fit.

:funny: Seriously. They're actors. They don't owe us an "honest" way of doing things. As long as they look the part....

The lawyers obviously would want to make them do things in a healthy manner, but it still wouldn't stop someone like Christian Bale from getting down to a dangerously unhealthy weight like in The Machinist, and then ballooning up right after to play Batman.

Also, yes, a lot of body image issues would be fixed if people DID realize just how Photoshopped and padded up models and actors are. I saw a candid topless pic of Miranda Kerr doing a photoshoot, and her boobs are almost my size, and I am flaaaaaat. I was a bit :argh: thinking how I used to feel so inadequate up top, but apparently all I needed was a ton of padding and then I'd be good to go. :funny:
Most models are definitely flat chested.

But if you're going to be a size zero, those usually don't come with big breasticles.

That is the point.

Actors certainly don't owe us anything, or any of their personal habits either. That is their own business.

The issue comes up when people try chasing a look that they believe is actually possible for them to get healthy and naturally and to maintain year round - and then they get down on themselves when they think they have fallen short of such goals.

They might have better self-esteem is they were in on the illusion.

The funny thing is, I thought I looked like a crackhead when they took these. Right afterwards I was so hungry I ate three hamburgers from Five Guys, a whole pint of ice cream, and 2 peanut butter sandwiches.

Yeah... But its all worth it for that fantastic abs shot.
icon14.gif

Last edited:
Most models are definitely flat chested.

But if you're going to be a size zero, those usually don't come with big breasticles.
Miranda Kerr is a LINGERIE model. That's all she does now. I'd certainly hope they'd be built more like Kate Upton (who has actual big ones) rather than a size 00 runway model. :funny: Although VS is starting to use runway models, which makes me :huh: to no end. Did they forget they sell LINGERIE??

That is the point.

Actors certainly don't owe us anything, or any of their personal habits either. That is their own business.

The issue comes up when people try chasing a look that they believe is actually possible for them to get healthy and naturally and to maintain year round - and then they get down on themselves when they think they have fallen short of such goals.

Yup yup and yup.

That is the point.

Also, their job is to create an illusion. There are a lot of producers and millionaires (and billionaires) who put their money on the line, so if they are unable to convince people of that illusion it's money wasted.

The other thing about really any business, but especially something like acting, is for the people who put money up the end result is more important than the how.

Legally speaking, when they hire someone, anyone, you can't ask them to lose weight or get in shape. That's not legal.

So they might say something to Bale or Hardy along the lines of "now this character appears bigger than you, so if you could try harder to look more like him that would be great" (as opposed to "drop twenty pounds or your fired" which would most likely result in a lawsuit). But it's probably up to the actors discretion on how. Take tons of steroids? Sure. Why not? Tell people that on television? Well, no, you can't do that because then your financial backers would have to explain to the Feds why they paid you to take steroids. Also, the illusion is shattered.

Yeah... But its all worth it for that fantastic abs shot.
icon14.gif
Thank you.
Miranda Kerr is a LINGERIE model. That's all she does now. I'd certainly hope they'd be built more like Kate Upton (who has actual big ones) rather than a size 00 runway model. :funny: Although VS is starting to use runway models, which makes me :huh: to no end. Did they forget they sell LINGERIE??
No, but even for that, being big breasted isn't necessarily something they'd be after. Boobs can be enhanced, and usually are, by the people editing the photos.

I wish my fitness obsessed co-workers shared your attitude.

"I can't care more about your physical fitness and health than you do, so sure, have another donut." Pretty much how I see it.

The fitness obsessed people I work with are folks who act like they're superior to people who aren't like them. If they see you eating something that isn't "healthy", then they will lecture you about the benefits of a healthy diet. And yet they smoke like chimneys and go binge drinking every weekend. It's really quite a spectacle when you call them out on it. But I think their attitude problem stems from them being short in stature. Like pumped-up hobbits. And it doesn't help when they look like they walked right off the set of Jersey Shore.

Yeah, being in shape shouldn't cause a superiority complex. A similar thing happens at my job. On the rare occasion that I'm eating something unhealthy at work, the out of shape people come out of nowhere to shame me about the cheesesteak on my desk. I know they're right though, but this is often a person who still has crumbs on their face from the cupcakes they had for breakfast. :hehe:

Last edited:
I'd never go out with a man who would want to spend more time on his diet and at the gym than with me :o

where i work, we sell over $100,000 in groceries on a daily basis, on a slow day. average about 4 million in sales per month and we are only allowed to sell name brand products.

it's really depressing to see what some people are buying and how little food of worth they are buying for their families to eat.

I think the WIC (women, infant, children) program is great as it helps people get food for their children. he WIC Program - serves to safeguard the health of low-income pregnant, postpartum, and breastfeeding women, infants, and children up to age 5 who are at nutritional risk by providing nutritious foods to supplement diets, information on healthy eating including breastfeeding promotion and support, and referrals to health care.

i assume everyone has this program where they live or is knowledgeable of it. if not, see here:
http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/aboutwic/

With WIC, you get vouchers for specific items, and they are nutritional in value; formulas, fruits, veggies, cereals, beans, tuna, milk, cheese, bread/grains, etc.

Last edited:
i ended my previous post before it could reach "tl;dr" status so here's the rest of my point.

The food stamp program, or EBT (electronic balance transfer). I pretty much hate it. People can buy whatever they want with it and it's mostly on junk. This is free money towards foods people get every month, with some families getting 500+ per month easily. for instance, i had a customer today who paid for $709 in groceries with EBT and still had a balance left on the card.

I feel like this program should be ran more like WIC. if you're going to be getting government assistance, then it should be limited to healthier choices like WIC is.

More times than not I see these orders come through and 70% of what they are purchasing are junk foods, snacks, and high processed foods and hardly anything that's really healthy because it costs more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"