• Secure your account

    A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

  • Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Some New but Old Info

CrypticOne

Poetic Violence
Joined
Apr 18, 2006
Messages
10,310
Reaction score
1
Points
33
I was reading through my old Special Spider-Man mag, this magazine was released before SM1. I read across a weird line. In SM1 they wanted Doc Ock to make a apperance as we all know, but from what I read, they wanted Green Goblin as the main villain with apperances by Dock Ock and Sandman!

Now I think that Raimi had the villains he wanted before SM1 even came out. Now we seen the pics of Uncle Ben and Sandman, so I'm thinking that Sandman had connections with his murder, they wanted Sandman and Doc Ock to make apperances in SM1. Tell me if any of you have the mag that I do, or have known this.
 
huh, could be. we will probably never know though.
 
The original David Koepp screenplay had both the Green Goblin and Doc Ock as the villains.... besides the fact that Ock's characterization was waaay off the mark as he was turned into what I remember being pretty much another raving lunatic, mashing the two biggest Spidey villains together that way just made both of them seem less important.

That version of the script is still floating around online in a lot of places.... I'd get a link, but I'm too lazy. :p ;)

The Sandman thing is interesting, though. Both Raimi and Maguire mentioned liking the character around the time SM2 came out, but this is the first I've heard of them considering having him in the first movie.... hmm, interesting.
 
Dr.Dude said:
The original David Koepp screenplay had both the Green Goblin and Doc Ock as the villains.... besides the fact that Ock's characterization was waaay off the mark as he was turned into what I remember being pretty much another raving lunatic, mashing the two biggest Spidey villains together that way just made both of them seem less important.

That version of the script is still floating around online in a lot of places.... I'd get a link, but I'm too lazy. :p ;)

The Sandman thing is interesting, though. Both Raimi and Maguire mentioned liking the character around the time SM2 came out, but this is the first I've heard of them considering having him in the first movie.... hmm, interesting.

I know, when I read Sandman's name, it really got me thinking. I was like Raimi must have planned on what villains he wanted from the get go. But yeah, I heard that they were going to use Doc Ock in SM1.

If anyone else reads this, you should watch Spider-Man 2 with the commentary on. I thought it was real interesting.
 
Yea and Raimi originally wanted Electro + Sandman + Black Cat in the third movie but Sony made him do venom (provided he was allowed to tweak the character). Interesting that Cameron's treatment (shudder shudder) had Electro and Sandman as well. It all comes full circle...sorta.
 
It kinda fits in a way as it is now:
AF15,ASM:121,15- Green Goblin= Spider-man
ASM03,ASM50- Doc Ock= Spider-man 2
ASM:04,252,136,301-Venom, Sandman and Green Goblin 2= Spider-man 3
Atleast I think Im sure on the issues for # 3
But the Doc Ock to Sandman continuity somewhat works :)
 
Mister Sinister said:
HARRY
Leave him alone.

The Popular Kid turns, sees Harry Osborn staring at him in a
slouchy sorta way.

POPULAR KID
Or what?

HARRY
Or my father will fire your father.


I wonder what that scene turned into?
Whoa, it turned a lot better on the final version...
 
This part in the script cracked me up....

"Definitely feels better. Relieved, he throws aside the blanket and
sheets-

-and GASPS. A sticky white mass is all over him and the sheets,
some kind of silky substance. Grossed out, Peter struggles to peel
the sheets off and free himself from the gluey strands. As he
raises his arms, he notices that the stuff's tendrils lead up to
the undersides of his wrists."
 
I remember also reading a script with Doc Ock in the beginning...
 
masheen81 said:
Yea and Raimi originally wanted Electro + Sandman + Black Cat in the third movie but Sony made him do venom (provided he was allowed to tweak the character). Interesting that Cameron's treatment (shudder shudder) had Electro and Sandman as well. It all comes full circle...sorta.
I remember reading that rumor too.... but I'm not sure if I really buy it.

This is only because Raimi's said before that when planning out a Spidey movie, they write out Peter's arc in the story first, and only then do they decide the villains based on which ones fit within that arc. The problem that arises here is that it seems like Peter's character arc in this movie is completely dependent upon the symbiote --- the movie shows him falling prey to his own dark side that the alien costume reawakens in him. This is why I'm relatively sure the symbiote must've been part of the movie since the beginning, and hence to some extent Venom as well.

I do kinda think Black Cat was probably in the movie at one point, though --- she was almost in Spider-Man 2, as well. She probably was originally intended to play the role in the story that Gwen Stacy is now playing instead.
 
Heres some production art from the 'Behind The Mask of Spider-Man' book of Ock's appearance cut appearance in Spider-Man 1, courtesy of Countingdown.com.

2622753mainkh9.jpg



Source: http://www.countingdown.com/movies/590369/multimedia/images?item_id=2622753

There was even a Doc Ock casting call as well i think.Wonder who they auditioned for the role?
 
Dr.Dude said:
I do kinda think Black Cat was probably in the movie at one point, though --- she was almost in Spider-Man 2, as well. She probably was originally intended to play the role in the story that Gwen Stacy is now playing instead.
Raimi interview from June 2004.

Who was the second villain in the earlier draft?

Sam: The second villain, we had Black Cat in the early drafts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can we assume that Black Cat is the front-runner to show up in the third one?

Sam: Not yet I don't know I'm still trying to figure out the story.
Source: http://www.blackfilm.com/20040625/features/samraimi.shtml
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"