Have to admit I was wrong about Sandman....

I never doubted the Sandman choice. THC is a better actor than Dafoe or Molina on top of the great sand SFX.

Tony Stark said:
When I first heard about Sandman being in this movie, I had two thoughts jump into my head. The first was 'weak villian', the second was 'James Cameron Scriptment'.

OK, I was totally wrong, I admit it, and I'm here to eat my crow, so pass the salt.

Seeing the preview made me realize that Sandman could actually be one of the coolest Spidey villians on screen. He's never brought up as a fan favorite, he's behind Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Venom, Lizzard, Mysterio and Electro. I've always thought of him as on par with Vulture. He just never seemed interesting to me in the comics.

But seeing Rami's vision for him made me realize two things. First, this is by far the most powerful villian Spidey has ever fought. Think about it, this guy would give Hulk, Juggernaut, the Thing, all of them a run for their money. Secondly, unlike the previous two baddies in the spidey films, Flint Marko has no redeeming qualities. This guy is a street thug with massive amounts of power. Norman Osbourne was a good guy with too much ambition and his own invention drove him crazy. Octavius was a decent man, with a huge ego, and didn't realize the consequences even though Peter brought it up right before his unfortunate and tragic accident.

Add to this the fact that Thomas Hayden Church, so much looks the part of Marko. He's a terrific actor, and he can just be a tough a$$ SOB.

I thought I'd be more excited over Venom being in this film, and now I'm almost more excited about Spidey fighting Sandman!!!

I can see this all coming together. Spidey is going to lose to sandman in the red and blue suit, and when he gets the black, the added power helps him to defeat Sandman. The clip in the subway of Spidey kicking Sandy in the face, followed by him flooding the subway and flying away (anyone want to guess what happens when Sandman get's flooded with water).

Forgive me Sam, you are the master!!!!

Yeah, when I first heard that Sandman was gonna be the main villain, I was like, "Come on," but then I did my research on him and found out that he would be one of the coolest villains to see on the silver screen. Now since seeing the teaser, Sandman is in my Top 10 Spidey Villains of all time.

plus for some reason THC has sandy looking skin, maby hes just rugged looking idk.

TheFlyinRussian said:
I never doubted the Sandman choice. THC is a better actor than Dafoe or Molina on top of the great sand SFX.

I still think defoe is the top actor/ villain so far

THC was in a lot of cheese before he got a decent shot (anyone watch tales from the crypt: demon knight?)

I was exited when it was confirmed and always disagreed with everyone who said he sucked. i always knew what he was capable of, and how awesome the action could be. I mean, imagine spiderman punching him, his fist going through, then he dissolves and goes under him and ends up behind him. now, I dont know if you understood what I just said, but in mh head it look awesome. the voices in my head are nice too =)
jk

so will this sandman guy be anything more than a punching bag?

I'm wondering what Spidey will do to fight him when he first meets him . . . punch him in the face (that didn't work), web him up ( he slips right through!), throw something heavy at him (nope) . .Heck, and that's only before he becomes a giant sandperson after finding a sand source like the truck we saw in the teaser! It's gonna be nuts!

Also, is this the first time in movie history that we are going to get a big shapeshifting character? It somehow seems integral to a superhero movie, yet I can't think of anyother time there was one. (mystique doesn't count, I'm talking about Hydroman/Sandman/Clayface type people)

I didn't know to much about Sandman myself at first but as I learned more about him I realised how cool he was and how great it would look on screen. I really want to see this on the big screen

Spider-man_sandman2.jpg

dr venture said:
I didn't know to much about Sandman myself at first but as I learned more about him I realised how cool he was and how great it would look on screen. I really want to see this on the big screen

Spider-man_sandman2.jpg

This would be so awesome to see. Spidey goes in for a punch, and the next thing he knows, he's caught in the Sandman. Great.

I agree. I eman he was always second tier in the comics but that is because the comic medium can make all characters visually fantastic (even....dare I say it....the Spot) and as a character he brings nothing new to the table. But on film we haven't seen a guy who started as a thug and ends as a thug. a through and through villain with enormous amounts of power and low ambitions.

Sure on his own he couldn't carry a movie as the sole villain but with Harry carrying the emotional punch (and hopefully they'll do an ariel battle with a Goblin right this time) and the symbiote passing to Brock (which I am adament will not be resolved at the end of this film) we just need a character who is visually amazing and while the sand effects are average in the comis on screen they will be phenomenal. The only effect close to this was the sand storm in the first Mummy movie but Raimi is a much better filmmaker than Stephen Sommers and he will top that.

My only hesitation is in the end I still think Lizard is a MUCH better villain and just as visually stunning as Sandman on screen, and definetly deserved his due before Sandman, but that is life.

I forgot aboout the lizard... he'd have been much better than the sandman. Conners, another villain with both mind and muscle to match spiey... eh nothing we can do about it now...

I wonda how sandy gets his powers.

Wesyeed said:
I forgot aboout the lizard... he'd have been much better than the sandman... eh nothing we can do about now...

they're waiting until the 4th for that one.....

dr venture said:

Spider-man_sandman2.jpg
Yeah that looks pretty sweet other than the fact that Spidey has his lower area jammed up Sandman. :up:

I always like Sandman in the comic books. To me, having the ability to be able to transform to sand at will makes him a very dangerous villain, on par with the likes of Venom and Doc Ock. What makes me concern is that, by putting him in the same movie as Venom, GG2, and an unnamed 4th villain, his scenes might get reduced to make other villains more viable. I hope Raimi will make full use of Sandman, because his fights with Spidey could be really spectacular.

Avernus said:
they're waiting until the 4th for that one.....

Kitty-litter-man should wait for the fourth one instead. :(

Golly, aliens corrupting superheros, an people turning into sand? Is this really happening?

*pinches self*

Reikowolf said:

THC was in a lot of cheese before he got a decent shot (anyone watch tales from the crypt: demon knight?)

Didn't Dafoe win an oscar for Platoon?

TheFlyinRussian said:
THC is a better actor than Dafoe or Molina on top of the great sand SFX.

Lowell from Wings a better actor than Dafoe or Molina??

Damn, that's your opinion and all, but I don't know how you can think that. Molina and Dafoe have given way better performances in their careers than Church.

Not saying Church is a bad actor, it's just Molina and Dafoe have shown better than anything he's done.

Personally I never liked Sandman... :p
I am not to familiar with Sandman's background story, but I hope they keep it short in the film, and focus more on teh action, that looked sweet in the trailer.

Tony Stark said:
Didn't Dafoe win an oscar for Platoon?
No, he got nominated, but didn't win

Reikowolf said:

I love that movie. :o

"My nipples are smokin, babe!!"

Believe it or not, villain-wise, this is sandman's movie and I like vis were 1 of the few who advocated this choice of villain when it was announced. I've always said that sandman when translated into film will be significantly better than his comic book counterpart. There will always be change and there is no way to alter sandman's character other than improving upon it.
As for redeemable qualities, doesn't he have a daughter in this movie?? Anyway, so far so good.

Yeah, Sandman was a great choice (he looked AWSOME in the teaser and he's gonna kick @$$ in Spidey 3)(PS this is my 2nd post so hi.)

I like that they're going with a villain that's just an out and out thug as the main baddie, this time around. The last two villains have been brilliant scientists who were mentors in some ways for Peter and those storylines really centered around responsibility, loss and disappointment, so GG and Ock tied nicely into those storytelling underpinnings quite nicely. This third film is about the dark part everyone possesses that Peter has really been struggling with since he got his powers and tried so vehemently to use them "with great responsibility". Now, with the symbiote in the mix he's going to be struggling with that and the Sandman, while also being very visually compelling and a powerful foe, also represents the base, selfish, dark, evil side of humanity. He's not brilliant. He's not a former friend. He's just a criminal with too much power. The perfect challenge for Parker while he's fighting his darker urges and trying to come to terms with his own morality. Makes perfect sense, to me.

jag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"