Songs That Make You Cry

Hotwire

Dealin' W/ Demons
Reaction score
I know we all have songs that choke us up and bring tears to our eyes. What are some of your's and why?

I'll start.
Heartland: I Loved Her First - I hear it and imagine my daughters, all grown up, dancing at their weddings.

During a rather dark/depressing time in my life, I was driving at nighttime and ended up sobbing when 'Scar Tissue' by RHCP came on the radio. True story.

"Where Have You Been?" - Manchester Orchestra

"Yesterday" - Atmosphere

Anything off The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me from Brand New

Clock was Tickin' by Brandon Flowers...still makes me choke up and I'm sure several people can relate to the narrative as it turns such a sharp, dark corner in the middle of the song. Also, because it tells the story of his parents(for such a private man, it surprised his fans).

LIVE:
[YT]erkDXGDRvCA[/YT]

LIVE and acoustic: Because you must see this :csad:
[YT]oY47hdblMto[/YT]

After losing my father 5 years ago I find it really hard to listen to "Why" by Annie Lennox... or "Streets of Philadelphia" by Bruce Springsteen. Those two really kick me in the gut.

Some other songs that really move me:

Now My Feet Won't Touch the Ground - Coldplay
Most of the Time - Bob Dylan
Wintersong - Sarah McLachan
Room at the Top - Tom petty
It's a Mother*****er - The Eels (so beautiful, despite the title!)
The End of the Innocence - Don Henley
The Living Years - Mike & the Mechanics
Untitled #4 - Sigur Ros
One Step Closer - U2
The Best Thing That Ever happened to me - Gladys Knight & the Pips
Wasted Time - The Eagles
Forever Young - The Pretenders
These are the days of our lives - Queen

"Proud of Your Boy" - a song that was cut from Aladdin. Originally, Aladdin had a mother in the movie, and he sang this to her. Howard Ashman was dying of AIDS when he wrote the song...and everyone kinda knew he was writing it for his own mother.

It's part of the special features on the Aladdin DVD:

[YT]kV3D1ASN7Xc[/YT]

Clock was Tickin' by Brandon Flowers...still makes me choke up and I'm sure several people can relate to the narrative as it turns such a sharp, dark corner in the middle of the song. Also, because it tells the story of his parents(for such a private man, it surprised his fans).

LIVE:
[YT]erkDXGDRvCA[/YT]

LIVE and acoustic: Because you must see this :csad:
[YT]oY47hdblMto[/YT]

never heard it before but that was a pretty good song. :up:

I agree

I think this song sung like he sings it in this video is a heart-breaker.

[YT]6tOQsswD4Tc[/YT]

never heard it before but that was a pretty good song. :up:
Yes, I tend to post it in every thread like this that pops up so I'm surprised you hadn't heard it yet. haha. I've seen him perform it in person a couple of times and to see a singer on the verge of tears is just so sad and beautiful.

I think this song sung like he sings it in this video is a heart-breaker.

Ahh, I love that song and how he puts his feelings out there. When a singer puts his emotions into the performances and shows that much vulnerability, the believability and connection is enhanced so much. For other experiences like that, check Adele out LIVE. Lovely.

Last edited:
If you guys know me, you'll know why this song makes me cry:

[YT]qEHTTFOwsDs[/YT]

Ahh, I love that song and how he puts his feelings out there. When a singer puts his emotions into the performances and shows that much vulnerability, the believability and connection is enhanced so much. For other experiences like that, check Adele out LIVE. Lovely.
YES. I never payed any attention to Adele until I saw this performance:

Around the last two minutes it sounds like she can barely keep it together. Seeing her get so (seemingly) choked up actually got ME choked up, and I was completely unfamiliar with the song or its real-life context. I'm not really into mainstream pop music at all, but now I'm kinda obsessed with watching her live performances on YT. She sounds amazing live.

Last edited:
^Yes, that's the main example I have of her getting super emotional. Her bandmate even mentioned it in a Rolling Stone article a couple issues back. Crazy to note that she is only 23.

anigif_flip-32147-1300112795-54.gif

But not for the "right" reasons.

These are a few songs that come to mind. Some not so much anymore, but they did strike a cord with me at one time or another. I'll put more thought into this. So far, I love what everyone has contributed. Especially you WolfCypher. My eyes teared in seconds.

Konstantine by Something Corporate

And All That Could Have Been by Nine Inch Nails

Something I Can Never Have by Nine Inch Nails

Last Kiss by Pearl Jam

Adam's Song by Blink 182

If you guys know me, you'll know why this song makes me cry:

[YT]qEHTTFOwsDs[/YT]

Seriously, just reading the lyrics made me cry. :csad: I remember reading about your situation, and it must be tough. Losing my grandma has been way too much for me and I can't imagine losing a parent.

imaperson2 and flickchick, I agree Adele allows her emotions to flow out as she sings. I love to listen to her.

I am older than 5 but :(
mama- the kelly family

Perfect Day- Lou Reed
Adam's Song- Blink 182
The Crystal Ship- The Doors
Forever Young- Alphaville

^Yes, that's the main example I have of her getting super emotional. Her bandmate even mentioned it in a Rolling Stone article a couple issues back. Crazy to note that she is only 23.
When you said this, I had to look it up, and it turns out she just turned 23 only 3 days ago. Which makes her younger than almost all the "kids" on Glee. Yep, "crazy" is the exact word that's coming to mind right now. :wow:

Carolina in my Mind by James Taylor

but they are usually happy, nostalgic tears moreso than anything. lots of happy memories associated and triggered by this song

There's been a few that's gotten to me but these two, as a father, kill me... especially together. I can't seem to ever make videos work so I'll just link them. The first song was written by Steven regarding his youngest adopted daughters who are children and how he should give them time before they're too old to do so and its passed him by. The second half of the video has Steven telling story that gave him the inspiration for the song.

Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman

That song makes me cry because I'm still in that time with my daughters, but it becomes all the more sad with what happened next. One of the two girls died shortly after the song was released when, I think, one of Steven's son's hit her with his car (at least that's the way I heard it happened... I've not done much research). So then with that little girl's untimely passing he wrote this next song for her...

Heaven Is The Face by Steven Curtis Chapman

HERE'S him talking about Heaven Is The Face.

Both songs get to me but knowing the story both get to me even more now. I was at a Father/Daughter dance at my oldest daughter's school and Cinderella came on. I held my daughter, who's just turned 7 in Janurary, as tight as I could during that song, and yes, I got teary-eyed.

Man, and now that I've listend to Heaven Is The Face I'm all choked up again and want to go hug my girls but they're asleep :(

Last edited:
"Proud of Your Boy" - a song that was cut from Aladdin. Originally, Aladdin had a mother in the movie, and he sang this to her. Howard Ashman was dying of AIDS when he wrote the song...and everyone kinda knew he was writing it for his own mother.

It's part of the special features on the Aladdin DVD:

[YT]kV3D1ASN7Xc[/YT]

Wow, I'e never even heard of this. And yeah, that did get me a little. Great pick.

Jumper - Third Eye Blind ...Brings back very personal, painful memories every time I hear it.

Broken - Seether

Are You Alright? - Lucinda Williams

Above the Clouds - Cyndi Lauper

Jesus to a Child - George Michael

Vide Cor Meum - Patrick Cassidy ...This is the only song on my list that brings me tears of joy, and it's the only opera piece that I know of that I like. If you're not a fan of opera, I recommend giving it a listen. It might surprise you.

Suicide is Painless - theme song from MASH. The original song had lyrics that were so depressing that they were removed from it when the tv series was made. Here's the original song if you haven't heard it before or seen the movie (which had the complete song):
This last one is the song that hits me hardest. It reminds me of my nephew who passed away last year. Bright Eyes by Art Garfunkel.

2 Live Crew - Pop That P***y

The Bloodhound Gang - The Bad Touch

Tom Green- The Bum Bum song

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back