Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

Ew_GPeVVcAE8hzV

I've been doing a lot of walking these past few months, gyms shut, too cold for cycling, can't run but I like to get out and do something.

Anyhow, whilst walking I've recently exchanged playlists for podcasts, and more recently I've been listening to a couple of Joe Rogan's; he's a UFC commentator. Two of the more recent podcasts I've listened too have had Brian Cox on them, and honestly, they were fascinating to listen too.

Two of the elements that took me back were his belief that we are more likely than not to be the only intelligent species in our galaxy (not to be mistaken for the universe), but also his belief that at no point in the future - our future will we ever be able to travel to another galaxy. I actually found that a little short sighted on his part.

When he was explaining the improbability (rather than impossibility) that other intelligent life within the milky way exists, it actually made a whole heap of sense.

I've always been of the belief that there has to be life out there simply because of the size of everything, but when we take into account all the precise conditions that must've been met here for us to exist now as we do to be mimicked on other worlds, the likelihood is ... well, unlikely.

We've only been around in our current form for some 250,000 years, and the Earth has been here for some 6billion years? When you take into account all the specific conditions that must've had to be met, it's a miracle that we even exist.

I've been doing a lot of walking these past few months, gyms shut, too cold for cycling, can't run but I like to get out and do something.

Anyhow, whilst walking I've recently exchanged playlists for podcasts, and more recently I've been listening to a couple of Joe Rogan's; he's a UFC commentator. Two of the more recent podcasts I've listened too have had Brian Cox on them, and honestly, they were fascinating to listen too.

Two of the elements that took me back were his belief that we are more likely than not to be the only intelligent species in our galaxy (not to be mistaken for the universe), but also his belief that at no point in the future - our future will we ever be able to travel to another galaxy. I actually found that a little short sighted on his part.

When he was explaining the improbability (rather than impossibility) that other intelligent life within the milky way exists, it actually made a whole heap of sense.

I've always been of the belief that there has to be life out there simply because of the size of everything, but when we take into account all the precise conditions that must've been met here for us to exist now as we do to be mimicked on other worlds, the likelihood is ... well, unlikely.

We've only been around in our current form for some 250,000 years, and the Earth has been here for some 6billion years? When you take into account all the specific conditions that must've had to be met, it's a miracle that we even exist.

I have no doubt that life in various forms is abundant throughout the Universe. But intelligent life? As you say, that’s another matter entirely.
I have my doubts it even exists on this planet, sometimes...

Any hobby drone can do much better.

But… it's Mars! The atmosphere is 99% thinner. And because of signal delay (due to distance and the speed of light), there’s no remote flying via joysticks. All flights have to be computer controlled and autonomous.

And there are more ambitious flights to come…

Disappointing, but more importantly, Russia teaming up with China at the expense of other countries doesn't look good.

Russia and China are increasingly trying to split the world in two and I am definitely not looking forward to a World War III.

Mars helicopter Ingenuity successfully completed its historic first flight - CNN

"Ingenuity, which is a technology demonstration, flew for about 40 seconds total on Monday. The 4-pound helicopter spun up its two 4-foot blades, rose up 10 feet (3 meters) in the air, hovered, took a photo, and touched back down on Mars."

Presumably, photos and video will be forthcoming.

This is just way cool beyond belief. I was listening to the interview with one of the women involved in this project. She went into the details of the challenges they face. I love listening to smart people who believe in science. It's a welcome break from what I hear from people regarding COVID issues.

BTW, have they been able to confirm that Mars is flat yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"