Spanking children leads to adult mental illness

Okay, smacking teaches smacking. My point is hitting a child is unacceptable in my book. And if you're going to justify it, why should the environment matter? If there's nothing wrong with hitting a child, than his friends seeing his parents hit him should be perfectly okay as well.

smacking in private can teach a lesson. smacking in public adds a humiliation factor.

Being on the Hype leads to mental illness.

Spanking kids... physical and psychological trauma. Yelling at kids...psychological trauma. Do neither...your kids walk all over you. Best thing to do? Don't have kids.

Have kids and let them join the Hype. They'll be fine :up:

Actually, I was spanked as a child and so was my brother. I occasionally got the belt, he got the fly swatter. As for now, I feel the urge to spank/smack/hit my kids. However, I stop myself because, I know it's wrong to do so.

You, along with several others, are justifying hitting a child. I'm saying there is no justification for it. I don't care what they are doing. There are other ways to stop unwanted behavior.

So smacking doesn't teach smacking... :rolleyes:

For the record, maybe if i'd been spanked or got the belt, i'd be against all types of smacking too, even little smacks on the arm. Because you can't help but just see it all under the same umbrella probably.

But this is what i'm saying. The things you named, i'd call abusive. Smacking lightly on the arm, I don't.

Just because hitting someone is instinct, doesn't make it right.

I am not saying it's 'right' to smack a kid on the arm. I wouldn't encourage it in a parent that simply doesn't want to or take part in 'bring back smacking' protests... I'm just saying it's not wrong and certainly doesn't cause any lasting damage.

Spanking might do. Beating certainly would. Being smacked on the arm when you've been really naughty... nope, I really don't think so.

Spanking kids... physical and psychological trauma. Yelling at kids...psychological trauma. Do neither...your kids walk all over you. Best thing to do? Don't have kids.

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel.

I love kids. I just hate parents. And i'm not sure I ever wanna become one.

Last edited:
I have no desire to ever become a parent. I don't think I have any paternal instinct whatsoever. I have absolutely no idea how to interact with children, nor do I feel any affection or empathy toward them.

And when I see kids in theaters or stores who don't know how to behave and the parents do nothing, I wanna give the kids an R-rated mouthful about it, and crack the parents in the teeth.

A baby pissed on the floor in K-Mart a while back and the mother just kept going like nothing happened. ****ing pig. She should be forced to lick the floor clean with her tongue.

Nope. If my kid is acting up, he/she will get a spanking and if it's bad enough then I'll have to get my belt. My parents didn't tolerate that crap and I turned out fine, so neither will I. If I catch my kid doing something wrong or acting a certain way that is unacceptable, I'll tell them to stop what they're doing as a warning... If they still refuse, it's spanking time. There's a difference between outright abuse and disciplining your child when they've done something wrong. Some might disagree, and that's fine as long as I never have to leave my child in your care.

Kids aren't as naive as some people think these days. They mostly know right from wrong if you start disciplining them early, but if you let them they'll take advantage of you. For example, I have a niece that acts up and then cries like she did nothing wrong when my Mom(her Grandma) spanks her. However, when me or my sister spanks her she immediately quiets up and stops causing problems. She knows that she can manipulate Grandma emotionally, but the rest of us don't play that.

Last edited:
I think a belt is overboard, IMO.

Somebody isn't gonna hit me with a belt...

I honestly don't know what I'd do if my hypothetical children were misbehaving. I probably shouldn't even think about it now, considering I'm still in high school. But hey, a guy's gotta prepare his head.

I never got hit with a belt and was rarely spanked. I was such a good kid :p

I'm actually kind of like Schlosser when it comes to kids.

They know that a belt hurts, so they won't cause problems if they know the consequences. A few smacks(not too light, but not overly hard either) will get them pouty and angry at you, but it also lets them know that what they did was wrong.

I never got hit with a belt and was rarely spanked. I was such a good kid :p

I'm actually kind of like Schlosser when it comes to kids.

Yay, I'm not alone in my misanthropy and lack of feelings toward children.

I oddly feel better.

Yay, I'm not alone in my misanthropy and lack of feelings toward children.

I oddly feel better.

A friend of mine doesn't like kids much either, yet she wants to become a kindgarten teacher. Don't ask :p

I'm not planning on having kids. They honestly annoy the crap out of me. The only reason I probably would have one is to pass on my legacy, that's if I actually had one worth passing on :p

I don't think I'd be that great of a father anyway, plus I have a ton of health issues I'd be too afraid to pass on.

Well, humans are by nature vicious animals. We are the most vindictive animals who ever walked this Earth. Doubt anyone would dispute that.

Though someone did bring up a good point. Do kids go bad because they are spanked. Or are they spanked because they are bad? The mental issues predate any corporal punishment.

They're spanked because they're bad. If they weren't doing bad **** to begin with, they wouldn't be getting spanked at all. That's the way I think.

I don't think I'd be a good father. I think I'd be cold and distant if I meant to be or not, because I come across that way to people without trying to, and don't seem to know how to present myself differently.

I feel like I'd pass on my own feelings of inadequacy toward my own father.

I was spanked as a kid and I do suffer from depression. Did it play a part? Could be, but I'm not sure.

Interestingly, my mother did say years later that she regretted spanking me because she did it out of anger instead of a desire to discipline.

Exactly. There is no such thing as smacking or spanking for dicipline. They do it out of frustration.They are not psycho or cold probably but they do it because they don't know how to react.

You can't spank an adult man for dicipline in military.(They probably do but it's against laws because it's wrong) How can people justify when it's a child? Children are far more vulnerable to effects of such treatment.

People talking about if it's effective or not. That's not the issue here. Science says it might lead mental damage. It's not like someone's fantasy or something.

If we are talking about effectiveness, violance,rape,murder can be justified easily as well. It's about the damage it creates on children, not which way is the most effective and fast.

They're spanked because they're bad. If they weren't doing bad **** to begin with, they wouldn't be getting spanked at all. That's the way I think.

So, they misbehave, and it pisses you off, so you hit them with a leather strap. Does it make you feel better when they run away crying and hating you? Does it feel good to use a leather strap to beat your child into submission?

Just read that a few times. Say it out loud to yourself. Still think it's the right thing to do?

I'll say it again, there is NO good reason to hit a child. NONE.

As in every argument on the Hype, people resort to extremes to explain their actions/non-actions.

Out of the parents who spank their children, I doubt that all of them "beat their child into submission" with a leather strap. It's convenient when you resort to extremes to bolster your argument.

Some of these little mother****ers need corporal punishment.

As in every argument on the Hype, people resort to extremes to explain their actions/non-actions.

Out of the parents who spank their children, I doubt that all of them "beat their child into submission" with a leather strap. It's convenient when you resort to extremes to bolster your argument.

Agreed.

I don't personally believe in spanking, but describing normal spanking as "beating your child into submission" or talking about it in the same sentence as rape (??) is just ridiculous.

Also, plenty of kids get spanked and don't hate their parents.

What have I told you people....you only need to only hit your child ONCE to keep the threat there.

If you don't want to hit your child, hit your spouse in front of your children. It could be consensual or not between you and your spouse. But make sure that your spouse falls to the ground like she just took a hit from Tyson.

I'm sure your kids will fear you for the rest of their lives. :up:

I wouldn't call it going to extremes. Rather, rewording it. He feels that when his kids get out of line, rather than find a rational solution to the problem, he chooses to hit them in order to gain compliance. Using a leather strap in some cases. If the person he was hitting was not a child, what would you call his actions?

When we were kids me and my siblings received disciplinary action (spankings) when needed. I remember calling my mother a 'B' at the age of 12, it never happened again lol. We've never been to jail or any kind of trouble with school, and honestly I give credit to those spankings. Weird? maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"