Speed fastest reflexes / over ground / travel period.

TheCorpulent1 said:
They're tachyons. Comic books have incorporated them, too, most notably DC in the science fiction behind their time-traveling characters. I'm pretty sure they're still theoretical, though.
They have been talkin about tachyons since the early 70's at least. I remember seeing a newspaper article about detecting them in '73. Physicists have been doing experiments recently where they have recorded speeds that appear to be faster than the recognized speed of light but I do not recall the details.

Silicon Surfer said:
They have been talkin about tachyons since the early 70's at least. I remember seeing a newspaper article about detecting them in '73. Physicists have been doing experiments recently where they have recorded speeds that appear to be faster than the recognized speed of light but I do not recall the details.
yup particles who's minimum speed is light,...
Power levels I fear we'll never see in this century.

Actually, the density has nothing to do with it, its the index of refraction that determines light's speed through a medium.

Zaptoitnow said:
Actually, the density has nothing to do with it, its the index of refraction that determines light's speed through a medium.

Actually optical density does effect it, you took density to mean physical density that wasn't my meaning at all. You have heard of opyical density right? :) You're on the right lines youngster and you're following me around. :cool:

Like any wave, the speed of a light wave is dependent upon the properties of the medium. In the case of an electromagnetic wave, the speed of the wave depends upon the optical density of that material. The optical density of a medium is not the same as its physical density. The physical density of a material refers to the mass/volume ratio. The optical density of a material relates to the sluggish tendency of the atoms of a material to maintain the absorbed energy of an electromagnetic wave in the form of vibrating electrons before reemitting it as a new electromagnetic disturbance. The more optically dense which a material is, the slower that a wave will move through the material.

One indicator of the optical density of a material is the index of refraction value of the material. Index of refraction values (represented by the symbol n) are numerical index values which are expressed relative to the speed of light in a vacuum. The index of refraction value of a material is a number which indicates the number of times slower that a light wave would be in that material than it is in a vacuum. A vacuum is given an n value of 1.0000. The n values of other materials are found from the following equation:

n material = 3 x 10 to the 8 metres per second / v material

You see the link between the index and density?

glad I could sort that out for you:)

:supes: - Whirly

Varient said:
yup particles who's minimum speed is light,...
Power levels I fear we'll never see in this century.

I wouldn't put my money on it. Who knows what will occur in the next 93 years. A lot could happen. There has been more advancement in the last 100 years of human exsistence then there has been throughout the entire history of human kind put together.

And with how fast computer technology is progressing who knows? Once we create fully self sustaining AI that is capable of learning, comprehending and creative thought process watchout.

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/Phys/Class/refrn/u14l1d.html
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/refrn/u14l1d.html

Cite your sources the next time you blatantly copy and paste your material. I swear you’re even more obvious than the tenth graders I teach this stuff to.

That’s right youngster, you’re trying to tell a person that holds bachelor degrees in both Physics and Education how it is this simple mechanism works. Now let me try and make you actually understand (in my own words none the less), since you obviously have to copy and paste you information.

When a photon (the electromagnetic charge carrying particle) interacts with matter, the photon is absorbed by electrons orbiting the atom. When this happens, the electron is excited, bumping it up to another orbital. Once this happens, the electron emits a photon that is identical to the one absorbed in the first place. This entire process happens not instantaneously, but rather with some delay, causing the light be forced to stop and then go again. While in empty space between atoms, the photons, and make no mistake about this, are certainly traveling at the constant speed of light c. The deviation from the constant c, or so called speed of light through a medium is rather the average delay a group of photons will experience. And you are right, it is at times called “Optical Density” rather than a more accurate name, but if that had been what you meant, you should have referred to is as such, as opposed to simply density, which is just plain inaccurate.

You are also right that I followed you into the thread. I came in here to see if our other confrontation was simply a misunderstanding as you called it, or rather if you were just a new poster that went around calling other snotty and other such names. I arrived at the conclusion that it was simply a misunderstanding and there was no issue. Eventually, I became interested in the debate, and when I read that last post, felt the need to correct it.

BAH HUMBBUG! said:
I wouldn't put my money on it. Who knows what will occur in the next 93 years. A lot could happen. There has been more advancement in the last 100 years of human exsistence then there has been throughout the entire history of human kind put together.

And with how fast computer technology is progressing who knows? Once we create fully self sustaining AI that is capable of learning, comprehending and creative thought process watchout.

And then we'll all be wiped out and grown in fields and used as batteries for the machines.

Zaptoitnow said:
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/Phys/Class/refrn/u14l1d.html
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/refrn/u14l1d.html

Cite your sources the next time you blatantly copy and paste your material. I swear you’re even more obvious than the tenth graders I teach this stuff to.

That’s right youngster, you’re trying to tell a person that holds bachelor degrees in both Physics and Education how it is this simple mechanism works. Now let me try and make you actually understand (in my own words none the less), since you obviously have to copy and paste you information.

When a photon (the electromagnetic charge carrying particle) interacts with matter, the photon is absorbed by electrons orbiting the atom. When this happens, the electron is excited, bumping it up to another orbital. Once this happens, the electron emits a photon that is identical to the one absorbed in the first place. This entire process happens not instantaneously, but rather with some delay, causing the light be forced to stop and then go again. While in empty space between atoms, the photons, and make no mistake about this, are certainly traveling at the constant speed of light c. The deviation from the constant c, or so called speed of light through a medium is rather the average delay a group of photons will experience. And you are right, it is at times called “Optical Density” rather than a more accurate name, but if that had been what you meant, you should have referred to is as such, as opposed to simply density, which is just plain inaccurate.

You are also right that I followed you into the thread. I came in here to see if our other confrontation was simply a misunderstanding as you called it, or rather if you were just a new poster that went around calling other snotty and other such names. I arrived at the conclusion that it was simply a misunderstanding and there was no issue. Eventually, I became interested in the debate, and when I read that last post, felt the need to correct it.

Hey - not citing a source doesn't make the source wrong, it just makes the poster lazy and on that note "optical density" is the kind of density one would expect to be discussing when talking about luminal velocities, it's not a sloppy term at all, it's fine, you'll find it in many text books. As for teaching - I lecture. In the Degree department I have a Honours degree in Molecular Biology and I have a couple beyond graduate level, in my opinon they do not mean I am more intelligent than someone else, it just means I was adequate enough to stay in Education longer and chose to. I don't see why I justified that though :confused: same reason you brought Education up your eduction I suppose - ego?
I don't lecture Physics - I lecture Biology, a few levels above grade school but I respect High School teachers, so no problems there, you have a tough job. I agree it was a misunderstanding so don't get "snotty" again j/k I hope we're cool now! Two teachers arguing is not a good example for anyone my friend. :)
My physics is pretty good though unlike how my English is at times. Like a certain lauded Physicist I am mildly Dyslexic (All similarities end there! My ego is not that big ;)).
Fortunately I can use a spell check and I prepare my notes carefully, the electronic Whiteboard has also been a god send. Back to Physics I got a bit lost with excitation levels in effernescent (was that how it was spelt) waves for enzyme linked identification with an optical component. However normal light physics is no problem.
Interesting you bothered to google my phrases though, I wondered if you would and hoped you might :), this is a mild inference and meant in jest ;). Should you feel you still have a problem with me or anything I have said let's take it to PM as I am sure nobody else wants to read it, that's not me being snotty, I just think open arguments on forums are crass.

:supes: - Whirly

As long as you keep it light and use words that geeks by their nature have seen and understand without hitting us with the textbooks,...

I'd rather you kept the convo here.

I miss those late nite science talks.

Anubis said:
And then we'll all be wiped out and grown in fields and used as batteries for the machines.

Come on Anubis I was expecting something a little more original. :D

BAH HUMBBUG! said:

Well Vernor Vinges ideas are interesting so I'm not suprised he took that line really.

BAH HUMBBUG! said:

Okay, how about this:

BAH HUMBBUG! said:

After which they will demand the same God given rights that other sentient beings posses. Tired of being built for manual labor and Grey Slavery (That's Robots built for prostitution). They take it to the streets in protest. Lead by they're fiery political leader the great Bender Bending Rodriguez. It will later be kidnapped and stripped for parts. No one knows what happened to him, but it's rumored that he was later turned into a cappuccino machine that resided in the CIA's break room. The movement stalled however when the robots were suckered out of they're personal freedoms in exchange for brightly colored Lug Nuts and WD40.

Anubis said:
Okay, how about this:

After which they will demand the same God given rights that other sentient beings posses. Tired of being built for manual labor and Grey Slavery (That's Robots built for prostitution). They take it to the streets in protest. Lead by they're fiery political leader the great Bender Bending Rodriguez. It will later be kidnapped and stripped for parts. No one knows what happened to him, but it's rumored that he was later turned into a cappuccino machine that resided in the CIA's break room. The movement stalled however when the robots were suckered out of they're personal freedoms in exchange for brightly colored Lug Nuts and WD40.

:D Now that's original :up:

(smirk,...)
I'm glad I qwent looking for this thread,...

This thread has been dormant for months and when it's brought back the post is still doesn't address the topic of the thread. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"