Spider-man and 9/11

Venom75

Sidekick
Reaction score
I'm a huge 9/11 historian. I watch everything I can on the subject,and read everything I can. Even after all these years and countless times watching the trilogy,everytime I see that first movie I still can get the sense of September 11 casting it's shadow over the film. There are one or two shots of the World Trade Center still in the movie and I get a bit emotional at the scene on the bridge when I hear the line,"You mess with one of us,you mess with all of us!"
And when I often think of films impacted by the 9/11 terrorist attacks Spider-man comes to mind and is even right up there behind only movies like United 93 and World Trade Center. The original Spider-man seemed to be the right film at the right time. I think it really gave us a hero that we needed,one that wasn't like the macho,badass heroes of the 1980's or 90's,like Rambo and the Terminator. Of course,Spider-man is a flawed hero who defends New York. So,even if the film wouldn't have come out at that time,9/11 still would've had a huge impact on the character. Does September 11th still dominate Spider-man(2002)or even the rest of the trilogy for you? Is there still that impact?

I'm a huge 9/11 historian. I watch everything I can on the subject,and read everything I can. Even after all these years and countless times watching the trilogy,everytime I see that first movie I still can get the sense of September 11 casting it's shadow over the film. There are one or two shots of the World Trade Center still in the movie and I get a bit emotional at the scene on the bridge when I hear the line,"You mess with one of us,you mess with all of us!"
And when I often think of films impacted by the 9/11 terrorist attacks Spider-man comes to mind and is even right up there behind only movies like United 93 and World Trade Center. The original Spider-man seemed to be the right film at the right time. I think it really gave us a hero that we needed,one that wasn't like the macho,badass heroes of the 1980's or 90's,like Rambo and the Terminator. Of course,Spider-man is a flawed hero who defends New York. So,even if the film wouldn't have come out at that time,9/11 still would've had a huge impact on the character. Does September 11th still dominate Spider-man(2002)or even the rest of the trilogy for you? Is there still that impact?

Honestly, unless you're conscious of the fact that it was made in 2002, it really doesn't seem to come up. Ground Zero or the attacks are never seen or mentioned in any subsequent films, as far as I can recall. There's the solidarity scene on the train, but that's lost to people who weren't around during the aftermath. I'm sure teenagers viewing it today probably just think the director is being optimistic about human nature like Frank Capra or something.

I not think it have anything to do with 9/11. All they do is get rid of trailer that twin towers in it.

It's just so hard for me to believe that there's now an entire generation of people around who weren't even alive when the attacks happened. It was such a life altering event(still even felt today). I guess I can understand that kids who weren't around back then wouldn't make the connection,but I think a lot of us who were can see it. At least for me,that first film will always carry that stigma of September 11 with it. It doesn't dominate the movie,but I think that in a small way it's there.

The events of 9/11 did impact the film. "You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us" is a representation of that. The twin towers also show up in the reflection of Spider-Man's lens in a close up shot, and it feels very eerie. Very ghostly. I believe they left that in the film intentionally.

I think it was just perfect timing and people were looking for hope and inspiration and Spider-Man came at the right time.

The events of 9/11 did impact the film. "You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us" is a representation of that.

They did a similar scene in SM-2 when the train passengers gathered together and tried to protect Spidey from Doc Ock. I don't think either scene had anything to do with 9/11.

Do you think the towers would have made an appearance in the film if not for 9/11? Besides the reflection in the spider lens?

^ I'm not sure, they probably would've had some establishing shots of the city that had them in it at the very least. That original teaser trailer with the helicopter getting caught between the towers was just all shot for that teaser so that wouldn't have been in the movie. You guys remember that? I remember watching that teaser on the website for the film when it was released online (it was loaded on a slow Quicktime player lol) and I was freaking out every time Spidey shows up and they crank up the music.

I feel like I've read before that the scene in SM1 with the New Yorker's on the bridge was inserted as a response to 9/11. Anybody know if that's true? It feels like it's intentional to me.

The 1st movie definitely came out at a time when it was needed for audiences in the states especially. Peter's just a regular kid, a New Yorker, trying to help where he can, and the tone is light and escapist enough but also grounded by the performances.

Last edited:
They did a similar scene in SM-2 when the train passengers gathered together and tried to protect Spidey from Doc Ock. I don't think either scene had anything to do with 9/11.

I feel like I've read before that the scene in SM1 with the New Yorker's on the bridge was inserted as a response to 9/11. Anybody know if that's true? It feels like it's intentional to me.
I didn't see it as a 9/11 inspired moment myself.

I can say the same about the ferry scene in TDK, some feel that way, others don't.

Whether or not that line was a response to 9/11 or not, it was perfect timing for those affected by the tragedy.

Do you think the towers would have made an appearance in the film if not for 9/11? Besides the reflection in the spider lens?

Most likely since they cut the towers out of that teaser trailer. They were clearly very conscious of them.

I wonder if the new building will make an appearance in SMH. It's included in the SMPS4 game.

I think the tone/symbolism of a post-9/11 world is pretty evident, especially in the first film.

Not overly obvious or blatant in any regard, but the protagonist of Peter Parker is the perfect vehicle to convey a message of hope and heroism in guise of regular people--in this case, regular, average New Yorkers.

I think bits like the giant flag at the end, while perhaps not a direct response to 9/11 were definitely influenced by the surge of patriotism and general rallying around the flag/NYC post-9/11.

I definitely see where Venom75 is coming from.

7c7dec45620933e09ef3ad3fa4584474.jpg

Where/when is that from?

It's a Sunday strip from the daily comic strips, I looked closer and it's from 2011. I actually vaguely remember this one, cause I was keeping up to date with those strips back then.

Comics did 9/11 issue too back when it happened.

Despite some overly political posturing and preaching from JMS, that still remains a really good issue. I know it has a lot of detractors, but I really think it's a powerful, potent story that was topical and great in 2001.

Honestly, unless you're conscious of the fact that it was made in 2002
The movie was shot before 9/11. You can see the towers in the movie few times. When Peter is jumping on the rooftops, refletion on Spidey's eye and during the final swing just before the credits.

Wait, the towers appear when Peter jumps on rooftops and during the final swing??

EDIT: I could spot the towers in the rooftop scene, but I can't find them during the final swing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"