Spider-man and 9/11

Wait, the towers appear when Peter jumps on rooftops and during the final swing??

EDIT: I could spot the towers in the rooftop scene, but I can't find them during the final swing.

When the camera pans the city(really quickly)to Spidey on the flagpole you can see the World Trade Center in the background. I'm glad to see a few shots of the Towers in the film. In the aftermath of the attacks I was one of the people who thought they should leave the Towers in the movie as a tribute to those buildings and those poor people who lost their lives in them. But,looking back now I can see why they removed them. It was probably the right thing to do.

I wonder if the towers would have made a bigger appearance in the film? Was there going to be another big scene with them?

I wonder if the towers would have made a bigger appearance in the film? Was there going to be another big scene with them?

They were the highlights of the city. I think they made NY unique. I can't see why they wouldn't be featured more.

Makes me wonder if the new world trade center building will appear in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

I remember watching that teaser on the website for the film when it was released online and I was freaking out every time Spidey shows up.

[YT]3Txwq7FGtBw[/YT]

Despite the situation around it, this is still one of the best trailers for any superhero movie I've ever seen.

I have to wonder if Elfman's score was written after and influenced by 9/11, I think parts of the main theme (maybe especially as used in the final battle between Spider-Man and Green Goblin) sound very patriotic/trying to evoke patriotism.

[YT]3Txwq7FGtBw[/YT]

Despite the situation around it, this is still one of the best trailers for any superhero movie I've ever seen.
Once I saw that web in the theater, I went nuts. I wanted it to be May 2002 right then and there.

The shot from the teaser trailer with the Twin Towers reflected in his eyes are definitely still in the movie.

Wow, the earlier posters in the thread saying they didn't get any 9/11 overshadow vibes from Spidey 1 are crazy. :huh: It's hanging over it pretty majorly.

I dunno, maybe if you're younger and only saw it in more recent years I could get not linking the two psychologically. But even without the pulled trailer, it's there in the final thing. The New Yorkers throwing **** at Goblin specifically (wasn't that a reshoot done after the event?), but you get the sense of it through a lot of the rest of the flick too. Even the dumb Nickelback song I sort of feel might have been subconsciously influenced & chosen due to 9/11 reasons - not sure if that's the case, but it sure felt that way at the time, the mood of it and lyrics and all.

When I met Sam last year,the one thing that was said to us waiting in line was that Sam said he would not sign anything Spider-man related with the Twin Towers on it out of respect for the victims. It was a very nice gesture on Sam's part.

Wow, the earlier posters in the thread saying they didn't get any 9/11 overshadow vibes from Spidey 1 are crazy. :huh: It's hanging over it pretty majorly.

I dunno, maybe if you're younger and only saw it in more recent years I could get not linking the two psychologically. But even without the pulled trailer, it's there in the final thing. The New Yorkers throwing **** at Goblin specifically (wasn't that a reshoot done after the event?), but you get the sense of it through a lot of the rest of the flick too. Even the dumb Nickelback song I sort of feel might have been subconsciously influenced & chosen due to 9/11 reasons - not sure if that's the case, but it sure felt that way at the time, the mood of it and lyrics and all.

I think alot of it depends on whether one was old enough to be aware of a pre 9/11 world and a post 9/11 world.

I can see how a younger person could miss since you had to be old enough to really appreciate the context in which the film was released in May 2001.

Alot them may only know a post 9/11 world without really appreciating the fear, anxiety, patriotic feeling, and unity the US was feeling in the days and months after 9/11.

I was 22 when 9/11 happened, and SM1 was released only 8 months later.

That's one of the reasons why SM1 ends with him wrapping around an American flagpole. It was a very patriotic time.

Even the scenes with the NYC firefighters carried more weight given the bravery that several NYC firefighters showed on 9/11. They were made before the attacks, but even those scenes meant something different than they would have had the film been released before 9/11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"