Into the Spider-Verse Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse News and General Discussion Thread

Spider-Verse is animated diarrhea. There is only one Spider-Man and it's Peter Parker. And Pete doesn't appear near enough in a cartoon titled Spider-Man.

Sorry but that's the thought of most true fans over the age of 35. THAT is why it made poor box office.
Real fan here, Age 38. Loved it.

So, when someone is wrong, as you clearly are, do you know you're wrong, or does it take some time to set in?

1. ANYONE can be Spider-Man.
2. Peter Parker has TONS of screen time and has a character arc. Don't act like he was shortchanged.
3. There have been six (SIX!) movies starring Peter Parker and another Peter Parker movie is dropping in literally few months time.

What he said.

Disney/Pixar has an animation monopoly. Slap the Disney/Pixar label on this movie and it would have easily added another 200m to the BO. SM:ITSV is a far superior movie to Incredibles 2 and Incredibles 2 will make over a billion.
It's true. And Incredibles 2, while good, was very forgettable. I liked it just fine, but it wasn't the first one.

Regarding that above commentary, I did hear some guy tell the girl he was with when leaving out, "it was ok, but it wasn't a real Spider-Man movie." I was just like...ok.

Well, GA is going to go see GA stuff. This may only pull in 80 or 100 million domestic, now, unless it has great legs, but if they drop "Shrek 5" or "A Bug's Life 2", those will make 80 million on opening weekend, and the plot will STILL be "it's okay to be who you are" and "It's okay to be small, so long as you have friends". This movie's lesson is "Anyone can be a hero", but the animation is original and unique, so like Kubo (which is just...a beautiful film), it won't make huge numbers, but I think it will leave a permanent impression on those that watch it.

I've always said, and I stick by it, I would rather this movie be GREAT than to make tons of money. Transformers 3 and 4 made lots of money, but I don't know anyone who regards them as great films. Or even good films.
All the above is true. :up: Although I think you’re misunderstanding why some of us want good films to make money. Nearly all of us also want films to be good above all and wouldn't care about the money if it didn't influence the chances of what gets made after. If Spider-Verse made Pixar money we would be getting a lot more of this kind of thing. If it made IW money we would be getting high quality "arty" and experimental stuff like this many times a year. If it made almost nothing then we might not get another Spider-Verse for a long time. Transformers is a good example as they kept pumping out crap until the money finally started drying up and have now been forced to improve. So in the case of crap films we want them to do badly at the box office and the more the better for anything we like. In the case of Blade Runner 2049 we get a beautiful film that loses money and then studios are less willing to take risks like that. :csad: Hopefully Spider-Verse motivates all the other guys to improve the quality of their animation efforts and we all need to support stuff like this as much as possible.

About the box office, remember, it is the time for miracles.

Jumanji opened to $36 million. Greatest Showman also opened to $8 million domestic. Ended up at $404 and $174 million respectively.

In the face of a massive hit like TLJ. I am very, very confident that Spider-verse will make enough to justify a sequel.

All the above is true. :up: Although I think you’re misunderstanding why some of us want good films to make money. Nearly all of us also want films to be good above all and wouldn't care about the money if it didn't influence the chances of what gets made after. If Spider-Verse made Pixar money we would be getting a lot more of this kind of thing. If it made IW money we would be getting high quality "arty" and experimental stuff like this many times a year. If it made almost nothing then we might not get another Spider-Verse for a long time. Transformers is a good example as they kept pumping out crap until the money finally started drying up and have now been forced to improve. So in the case of crap films we want them to do badly at the box office and the more the better for anything we like. In the case of Blade Runner 2049 we get a beautiful film that loses money and then studios are less willing to take risks like that. :csad: Hopefully Spider-Verse motivates all the other guys to improve the quality of their animation efforts and we all need to support stuff like this as much as possible.
Bayformers influenced the industry to where we are today with blockbusters, though.
Animation studios won't stop trying to innovate what was getting stale from 3d animation.

I really wish they’d given Mahershala more screen time (voice-over time?) despite my feeling that he still stood out above Spider-Ham and Nic Cage.

Oh, I agree. I want GOOD movies to make MONEY so I can have good movies more often. Remember when Spider-man blew up back in the day? We got a slew of films trying to cash in on it. Now, we had to endure Hulk, Daredevil, and the queen of abysmal cash-ins, Catwoman, but we also got Hellboy, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Hellboy 2, and Spider-Man 2.

As for bad movies, I've known SO many people who always preach that old idiocy of "you can't judge it until you see it". Okay, it's not untrue, but why spend $10 plus concessions to "judge for yourself"? This is why Catwoman thought it would succeed back in the day (shivers).

Yes, I hope Spider-Verse has the legs to really put up some solid numbers in the next few weeks. Honestly, if it can just cross 100 mil domestic, that'll be more than enough to cover the budget, and international numbers will be gravy. Also, I want more of this. Lots more.

Spider-Verse is animated diarrhea. There is only one Spider-Man and it's Peter Parker. And Pete doesn't appear near enough in a cartoon titled Spider-Man.

Sorry but that's the thought of most true fans over the age of 35. THAT is why it made poor box office.

Im sorry but I do believe that a majority of adults over 35 who claim to be true Spidey fans are more intelligent then that.

Some are not, clearly, but my bet is that this movie will do very well.

Ifyxubc.gif

I also have to give Sony props. The released a ton of clips, yes. But a lot of them were excellently edited to hide certain things.

The Liv reveal was amazing, and was unexpected. I love it.

Someone missed the point of the movie.

Anyone who claims anything about true fans is usually wrong.

I also have to give Sony props. The released a ton of clips, yes. But a lot of them were excellently edited to hide certain things.

The Liv reveal was amazing, and was unexpected. I love it.
YES!
There was the main part of the swinging in the woods scene....wow. Didn't see it coming, and there wasn't any hint of it in the previews! I was worried they were pulling an Amazing Spider-Man 2 and showing us EVERYTHING in the previews. Luckily, that was not the case.

42 year old real fan who loved this movie! It's always refreshing to me when they can reinvent a character.

About the box office, remember, it is the time for miracles.

Jumanji opened to $36 million. Greatest Showman also opened to $8 million domestic. Ended up at $404 and $174 million respectively.

In the face of a massive hit like TLJ. I am very, very confident that Spider-verse will make enough to justify a sequel.

This. I think I read on Forbes that overall Holiday box office works differently as movies tend to have longer legs. Two years ago “Sing” opened with 35 mill and went on to gross around $200 mill domestic around this season.

Last edited:
People keep going to see **** well into January. The thing is that January's getting just as crowded as other months now.

Who hurt you so bad? Was it Avi Arad? Brian Michael Bendis? Or just... yourself? :eek:

People keep going to see **** well into January. The thing is that January's getting just as crowded as other months now.

Only because of the holiday holdovers. Jan is usually the time for Oscar bait to expand. I am seeing 2 potentially good sized movies next month, Glass and The Kid Who Would Be King. Only one that I am betting is going to do good business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"