Spider-Man: No Way Home vs The Batman

I hate to break it to you, but *all* movies are products.
ironman-youre-not-wrong.gif

Still, there's that distinction between something a committee worked to produce by pouring ideas in it and a movie where you notice and feel the ideas and the vision of the director poured into it.

I’ll say this about The Batman. I did feel the runtime, the three hours didnt fly by for me like it did for, say, Endgame. And i think it largely had to do with the tone. The heavy tone did start to wear on me after a while and I was kind of begging for some sort of release.

Nolan’s Batman movies were dark but Nolan balanced them with excitement and bits of levity throughout.

Last edited:
I’ll say this about The Batman. I did feel the runtime, the three hours didnt fly by for me like it did for,say, Endgame. And i think it largely had to do with the tone. The heavy tone did start to wear on me after a while and I was kind of begging for some sort of release.

Nolan’s Batman movies were dark but Nolan balanced them with excitement and bits of levity throughout.
I love long movies, and as a massive Batman fan, a 3 hour runtime was exciting for me. But I do think it didn't always work out for the best here, even though I loved the movie. I actually think TDKR was a better paced movie overall.

I still choose The Batman over NWH. I will say though, NWH is a very emotional film, and as someone who wasn't a big fan of the first 2 holland outings, this one managed to get things mostly right in my opinion. and it managed to choke me up at the end too.

NWH felt like it was literally checking off a the boxes of everything Spiderman purists like myself have been complaining about for the past 4 years about this Spiderman. It felt like a movie that was literally designed to just give the fans what they want.

1) Emotional stakes? Check.
2) Spidey actually fighting supervillains this time? Check.
3) “With Great Power Comes great responsibility?” Check
4) Spidey being on his own and not relying on Stark and the Avengers? Check
5) Classic comic book Spidey suit? Check.

The stakes of No Way Home are practically non-existent. In-universe plot magic sees to that. May dies because she's hanging out in a dangerous situation, and she's there solely to die. The film makes a point of showing Peter tell MJ and Ned they can't be around for their own safety, but he takes his only family along anyway.

Holland is fun in the role but he's routinely robbed of any genuine growth. His Peter is nearly always in trouble from his own stupidity and NWH is the worst for this, beyond the obvious like causing the whole plot by ruining Dr. Strange's spell. He only chooses to help the villains because May told him to, and in the climax he would have gone through with killing Norman if not for Tobey's intervention. He's such a lame character.

NWH felt like it was literally checking off a the boxes of everything Spiderman purists like myself have been complaining about for the past 4 years about this Spiderman. It felt like a movie that was literally designed to just give the fans what they want.

1) Emotional stakes? Check.
2) Spidey actually fighting supervillains this time? Check.
3) “With Great Power Comes great responsibility?” Check
4) Spidey being on his own and not relying on Stark and the Avengers? Check
5) Classic comic book Spidey suit? Check.

Im sorry you can say this about simple every possible literation of a character.
[ X ] Bruces parents death is adressed
[ X ] Joker appears somehow
[ X ] "Corrupt Gotham Politic"
[ X ] Bruce being emotional distanced and make a step to make some partner/friendships in the end
[ X ] Classic Batman signal scene

You know what I mean though.There's a reason NWH is being so highly praised and especially the way it ended. It was giving Spiderman fans a lot of what was lacking in Holland's prior movies/appearances.

A lot of Batman purists say the same thing about The Batman, that it gave them things that were lacking in past Batman movies.

lol at the voting in here people are crazy the batman is a bad boring movie where no way home is fantastic movie.

No, it's just that you are almost entirely wrong every time you post something.

Lol the batman is going to end up being the most overrated movie ever it seems. At best its a top 30 CBM where no way home is a top 10. Its really not even close I am shocked with the results in here. Batman I will likely not even watch again.

Im sorry you can say this about simple every possible literation of a character.
[ X ] Bruces parents death is adressed
[ X ] Joker appears somehow
[ X ] "Corrupt Gotham Politic"
[ X ] Bruce being emotional distanced and make a step to make some partner/friendships in the end
[ X ] Classic Batman signal scene

These are why , while I like The Batman, I don't consider it revolutionary as alot of fandom does.
It's good overall, but it's not something totally unique to what's been done before in other iterations.

As i've said before, the film is solid and a good foundation for future films, but it's not the game changer fandom makes it out to be.

These are why , while I like The Batman, I don't consider it revolutionary as alot of fandom does.
It's good overall, but it's not something totally unique to what's been done before in other iterations.

As i've said before, the film is solid and a good foundation for future films, but it's not the game changer fandom makes it out to be.
Even though i think The Batman is better than NWH, I definitely agree that it isn't revolutionary by really any means. Which isn't an insult, and I think it's a result of so many live action adaptions being done. As the hype as settled, I still love the movie, but I wouldn't even rank it on the level of any of Nolans.

Even though i think The Batman is better than NWH, I definitely agree that it isn't revolutionary by really any means. Which isn't an insult, and I think it's a result of so many live action adaptions being done. As the hype as settled, I still love the movie, but I wouldn't rank it on the level of any of Nolans.

Yeah.
It's a good movie, but I also wouldn't put it in the same league as the Nolan films.
Then again, that's pretty high bar, and most CB films, Marvel and DC alike, aren't gonna be in that league, The Batman included.
But , it doesn't need to be to be considered a good CBM.

One of the most interesting things about The Batman to me is that I felt we got more insights into Bruce Wayne’s parents and their murder than ever before without ever seeing the murder. I liked that they explored Bruce and Alfred’s relationship with them and their connection to Gotham beyond the usual “here’s where they get shot” scene.

Loved both films but I gotta go with No Way Home. Its an event film, a once in a lifetime type of film. The Batman is great but I just feel like its just using the Nolan formula and recycling it. Great film but its not anything that I haven't already seen in previous Batman films.

As a big House of Ideas' fan ... my heart of course goes to Spidey...but The Batman gave me more satisfaction experience since I always loved detective mystery story.

Both have had their charm, and easily the two best Comic Book movies post-Endgame.

That being said...No Way Home :D
(I know I am bias...haha)

NWH is one of the biggest Box office earnings of all time making 1.8 Billion,
with a 93% RT score, and an A+ cinemascore.

It'll age just fine as far as the GA goes.

It may not be considered the best Spiderman film or CBM , but it's made it's mark on Superhero cinema and film history, so , it ain't going anywhere.

Crazy how much rewatches can change things, but I think at this point I can say that I'll change my vote for No Way Home. Batman is my favorite superhero of all time, and TDK trilogy is easily the best comic book movie trilogy of all time for me as well. I was really excited for The Batman and while I still think it's a really good movie, it hasn't stuck me with that much and I think I found it a bit too derivative, which is a bit underwhelming to me as such a big Batman fan. I think the issue is that the film itself doesn't do enough new to really distinguish itself from the likes of Nolan or even Burton in a way that was too noticeable for me to ignore. I actually think I prefer the Burton films over the new Batman flick as well tbh. Maybe it's because I'm pushing towards 30, and I full admit that I consider the Nolan era MY Batman, but it is what it is.

So yeah, No Way Home is far from perfect, and I think it's got some of the MCU-isms that have grown to annoy me, along with bland cinematography but it's a very emotional solid movie overall that even managed to choke me up. The Raimi trilogy was such a massive part of my formative years, and it was just an amazing gift to see those characters again. In times like these, it's important to hold onto the things that make you feel happy and comforted. No Way Home was able to gift some of that to me and remind me so much of what I loved as a kid/teen. And I'm very appreciative for it.

Last edited:
I don't think No Way Home will age very well.

MCU flicks rarely do. These flicks have so little stock with audiences that within a few months of release, the early praise tends to fade and instead there's a sudden deluge of criticism as the realisation of how mediocre the movie really is sets in.

No Way Home easily! One of the best comic book movies in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"