Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

we did SM1 VS TASM and guess who won... TASM

Yeah it was probably done straight after TASM came out in cinemas Im guessing.

Polls are always dominated by whats new and shiny, thats why its usually best to leave it for a while.

But anyway I hope TASM2 does it for me next time, Im willing to give it a chance.

To be honest, I may have actually thought this poll wouldn't be such a dominated one with 103-17.

To be honest, I may have actually thought this poll wouldn't be such a dominated one with 103-17.

Meh. Still prefer ASM to BB and no poll is going to change my mind on that. BB is too cold and depressing for me to watch over and over and ultimately rewatch value is how I personally judge my favorites.

Meh. Still prefer ASM to BB and no poll is going to change my mind on that. BB is too cold and depressing for me to watch over and over and ultimately rewatch value is how I personally judge my favorites.
What is the world is cold and depressing about Batman Begins?

I always find it odd when people seem to not like their superheroes to have a legit threat to face. Bruce is confronted with a city on the brink of death. It is a fantastic starting point.

What is the world is cold and depressing about Batman Begins?

I always find it odd when people seem to not like their superheroes to have a legit threat to face. Bruce is confronted with a city on the brink of death. It is a fantastic starting point.
Good concept /= good execution. Some of us simply think that it was presented poorly. BB started off strong, but like far too many films in the genre it lost traction once the hero was fully formed. I found it boring after Bruce's initial journey.

Good concept /= good execution. Some of us simply think that it was presented poorly. BB started off strong, but like far too many films in the genre it lost traction once the hero was fully formed. I found it boring after Bruce's initial journey.

This.

The exception for me is Spider-Man where I only become engaged once he puts on the proper costume.

BB is nowhere as cold and depressing as TAS-M is as a film :)

BB is nowhere as cold and depressing as TAS-M is as a film :)

You know what, I kinda agree with that. I really enjoyed TASM but it definitely seems very cold and depressing in some ways compared to BB. And Batman is supposed to be more cold and depressing than the world of Spider-Man hehe.

You know what, I kinda agree with that. I really enjoyed TASM but it definitely seems very cold and depressing in some ways compared to BB. And Batman is supposed to be more cold and depressing than the world of Spider-Man hehe.

What is depressing about ASTM? That uncle Ben was killed and Peter could have prevented it? That he feels the weight of the world on his shoulders? That he can't be with the girl he wants without having problems?

What is depressing about ASTM? That uncle Ben was killed and Peter could have prevented it? That he feels the weight of the world on his shoulders? That he can't be with the girl he wants without having problems?

Not necessarily the story which is very Peter Parker accurate but the world it exists in seemed quite "darker" than the generally light-heartiness generally with Spider-Man. In terms of the looks or cinematography.

2 Types of people have picked TASM in this poll:

1. Spider man Fan boys

2. People who have never seen Batman Begins

:doh:

Not necessarily the story which is very Peter Parker accurate but the world it exists in seemed quite "darker" than the generally light-heartiness generally with Spider-Man. In terms of the looks or cinematography.

How come? A lot of daylight scenes are there. The only "dark" parts are what I've mentioned and that's all from the comic books. And it's not like the first time Spider-man has a last confrontation at night (all of the movies have had them).

1. Spider man Fan boys

3.- People who saw Batman Begins and thought the hero was barely visible, dialogue was often sloppy written and good villains (such as Scarecrow) were wasted.

Scarecrow was nowhere near as wasted as Lizard.

Yes he was, and both were scientists and had the same plan, to poison the whole city. Well, that wasn't exactly Scarecrow plans as he was a mere pawn, but he helped.

But whereas Lizard did it himself, Scarecrow needed someone else, and on top of all he left the movie in a most disgraceful way: beaten down by one single girl and screaming away like a school girl.

Sorry pal, but even if Lizard could have been better, Scarecrow was put to shame in BB.

Watch BB again, you have obviously missed a lot.

Like? Batman defeating Crane in 3 seconds at Arkham?

I certainly didn't miss the part in which Crane fully becomes Scarecrow, and as the king of fear his first action is to be defeated immediately by a single girl with a taser and leaves the movie screaming like a school girl. It wouldn't be until IM3 that a villain would be put to major embarrassment again.

1. Spider man Fan boys

Assuming you're being serious, how very narrow-minded of you.

A part of my comment was obviously just making fun of TAS-M as a film:-)woot:), but my comment also holds some truth no doubt. We have the lost of parents, the death of an uncle and the death of a girlfriend's father. That's much more depressing than what all transpired in Batman Begins, imo. Plus to add to boot that the entire film was a drag out fest of this outsider teenager trying to find his way in life. I would say the only film in Nolan's trilogy that's more depressing than TAS-M is The Dark Knight Rises.

Agreed. With Scarecrow, at least we had this stark-raving mad guy, even when he wasn't consumed of the fear toxin as he just played with his patients using that gas and mask. Sure, we didn't have a full-on Scarecrow suit or a scythe(if you wanted one with Scarecrow), we got a pretty decent Scarecrow in BB and TDK.

With Lizard, the film just took out this major human element to Connors(Martha and Billy Connors) and they just really screwed the pooch with his master plan as well as taking away the ferociousness that Lizard should have. I DO like how they kept his brain intact as we saw Lizard creating a chemical explosion during the school battle, but that doesn't mean Lizard's ferocity had to go.

Pretty much. Scarecrow was still recognizably Scarecrow. A genuinely creepy psychologist with an obsession of fear. The scene where he sprays Batman with the toxin is one of the genre's most disturbing scenes. As for how easy he was taken down, he was never much of a physical fighter.

Lizard had his heart and soul ripped out. It was the worst version of that character since the goofy 60s animated version.

Also Lizard was the main villain of his film. Scarecrow was a minor villain working for the real one. Even if their adaptations were equally poor (which they weren't), Lizard would be worse than Scarecrow on that alone.

Last edited:
I loved scarecrow in the TDK series and frankly as scary as he was supposed to be i enjoyed the levity that he brought to the series especially in TDK and TDKR.

Let's be real, scarecrow as a comic character was never A list so let's not prop him up to be something he wasn't. In TDK series starting with Begins i felt they gave him a role that arguably improved upon how he's mostly been portrayed in the comics, as a 1 note gimmick fear villain .

Scarecrow isn't even in my top ten Batman villains in the comics.

Exactly. To compare scarecrow to mandarin is even silly to begin with, as Mandarin is arguably Iron Man's main villain.

Scarecrow was somewhere down there with the mad hatter for batman.

Pretty much. Scarecrow was still recognizably Scarecrow. A genuinely creepy psychologist with an obsession of fear. The scene where he sprays Batman with the toxin is one of the genre's most disturbing scenes. As for how easy he was taken down, he was never much of a physical fighter.

Lizard had his heart and soul ripped out. It was the worst version of that character since the goofy 60s animated version.

Also Lizard was the main villain of his film. Scarecrow was a minor villain working for the real one. Even if their adaptations were equally poor (which they weren't), Lizard would be worse than Scarecrow on that alone.

:up:

I'll add something else in that you could easily say Batman finally takes down Scarecrow in TDK. For BB, it was just Scarecrow escaping after being tasered. It's really in TDK that Batman finally takes down Scarecrow.

I loved scarecrow in the TDK series and frankly as scary as he was supposed to be i enjoyed the levity that he brought to the series especially in TDK and TDKR.

I feel that BB and TDK made Scarecrow feel like a threat. Hell, he was still passing drugs around to low level thugs and what have you that caught the Chechen's attention.

Only in TDKR did Scarecrow feel different because it was basically Crane being a judge with only a nod to the Scarecrow persona with the straws coming out of his coat, but at least it makes sense with the film when fear was once again a theme with the film. It was a smart cameo, and that's coming from someone that thinks the film would've still been fine without said cameo.

1. Spider man Fan boys

I'm a DC fangirl, and I found BB to be the better-crafted film, but I still preferred TASM overall. Why? 1.) None of the dialogue in TASM had me cringing as much as some of Goyer's worst moments in BB. 2.) Emma Stone/Gwen Stacy was a FAR superior love interest and I felt the connections with most of the relationships more. 3.) I liked the action scenes more. 4.) The score for TASM is one of my favorite superhero scores ever. BB's? I enjoy it, but it doesn't have that "magic" for me. 5.) I loved the characterization of Spidey so much. It was much closer to the one I'm familiar with than the Raimi versions were, whereas the Nolan Batman, much as I loved it, wasn't as close to the Batman I grew up with. 6.) The weakest factor in TASM - the villain - just happens to be the aspect I care the least about in all superhero flicks, so it didn't bother me the way it bothered most.

For those reasons, despite the exceptional craftsmanship Nolan & Co. brought to the table with BB, and despite the fact that it influenced so many origin films to come - including TASM - I found TASM to be a more enjoyable movie-going experience overall. So it got my vote. I'm no Spidey fangirl, but there ya go. I'm sorry you can't accept that other parties might feel that way for rational reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"