Spiderman vs. X-Men

Nadal_Fan

Civilian
Reaction score
If you exclude the two Wolverine spin-off movies then each film franchise has released 5 movies. Sony has released Spiderman 1,2,3 Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2 while Fox has released X-Men 1,2,3, First Class and DOFP. My question for you is which franchise has produced better films. Breaking this down in head to head matchups I came up with the following:
Spiderman vs X-Men both movies were huge hits and are the reason we are in the golden age of superhero movies. However, IMO Spiderman was a slightly better film from start to finish.
Spiderman 1 X-Men 0
Spiderman 2 vs X-Men 2 is another very close call. While I enjoy both films immensely, I have to say Spiderman 2 is the better film. The way Dr. Oc is portrayed and the entire film is done so right mixing humor and really showing the world a Spiderman film I go with Spiderman 2. X-Men 2 is a terrific film with the Nighcrawler opening sequence one of the best in comic book movie history. However I felt like Spiderman 2 is just slightly better and did more for the comic book movie genre.
Spiderman 2 X-Men 0.
Now this is where the tide turns for X-Men. X3 IMO is a vastly superior movie than Spiderman 3. Both films are a large step down in terms of quality to the first two films in each series, however, X3 had some great action scenes, and didn't involve emo Spiderman dancing.
Spiderman 2 X-Men 1.
Next we have both film franchises re-booting where Amazing Spiderman does a full reboot X-Men does a soft re-boot. Deciding to go back in time to tell the story of an early X-Men adventure as opposed to completely retelling the origin story again. Both featured a new cast. IMO again X-Men first class is a far superior movie than Amazing Spiderman. I felt like Amazing Spiderman is a step down from the original Spiderman while X-Men First Class is on par if not better than the original X-Men.
Spiderman 2 X-Men 2.
The final which turns into the largest margin between quality of films yet. X-Men DOFP beats Amazing Spiderman 2 every day and twice on Sunday. DOFP is one of the greatest comic book movies ever while Amazing Spiderman 2 felt like Batman Forever or Spiderman 3 aka horrawful.
X-Men 3 Spiderman 2.
In the end X-Men wins. What are your thoughts?

Spider-Man>X-Men
Spider-Man 2>X-Men 2
Spider-Man 3>X-Men 3
The Amazing Spider-Man<X-Men First Class
The Amazing Spider-Man 2<X-Men Days of Future Past

SM > XM One of the best origin films and the best Spidey film to date.
X2 > SM2 Close,but X2 was the best X-film to date.
SM3 > X3 Both are flawed,but I enjoyed SM 3 more.
XM FC > TASM First Class,hands down.TASM was the worst.
DOFP >TASM2 Sony made some improvements,but DOFP was just too good.

I guess judging by a head to head match up,I'd say X-Men.Although,I'd say I liked the Raimi trilogy better that the original X-Trilogy.

Last edited:
Spider-man - 8/10
Spider-man 2 - 9/10
Spider-man 3 - 5/10
The Amazing Spider-man - 6/10
The Amazing Spider-man 2 - 4/10
Overall: 6/10

X-Men - 8/10
X2: X-Men United - 9/10
X-Men: The Last Stand - 6/10
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 4/10
X-Men: First Class - 9/10
The Wolverine - 7/10
X-Men: Days of Future Past - 9/10
Overall: 7/10
Overall (w/o Wolverine): 8/10

X-Men wins in my book.

1. X-Men: Days of Future Past
2. X-Men: First Class
3. X2: X-Men United
4. Spider-man 2
5. X-Men
6. Spider-man
7. The Wolverine
8. X-Men: The Last Stand
9. The Amazing Spider-man
10. Spider-man 3
11. The Amazing Spider-man 2
12. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Last edited:
Spider-man VS X-Men-X-Men
SPider-man 2 VS X2-X2 without a doudt
Spider-man 3 vs X-Men The last Stand-both are bad but I will give it to spider-man 3
X-Men first CLass vs Amazing Spider-man-Amazing Spider-man
Amazing Spider-man 2 vs X-Men days of future past-DOFP without question

X-Men since it has X-2, First Class, DOFP. Only Spider-Man 2 is on their level. Spider-Man is decent, about on par with X-Men. The Last Stand and The Wolverine are leagues better than TASM 1 and 2.

This is easy for me.

Spider-Man has 2 good films out of 5.
X-Men has 5 good films out of 7.

So even though Spider-Man 2 is the best individual film out of the bunch, as a series X-Men has been able to deliver better quality overall and over a longer period of time.

This is easy for me.

So even though Spider-Man 2 is the best individual film out of the bunch, as a series X-Men has been able to deliver better quality overall and over a longer period of time.

Agreed. And that's sad for me to say, because Spider-man is by far my favorite superhero. I just wish he could have a movie that could do him justice, but I doubt we'll get one anytime within the next decade.

I enjoy Spider-Man 2 quite a bit more then any of the X-Men films but yeah, as already been said X-Men has a better selection of well made films overall.

X-Men.

S-M v X-Men -- Spidey easily.
S-M2 v X2 -- X2 handily. Honestly, I find Spider-man 2 overrated. 1 holds up much better.
S-M3 v X3 -- F*** both these movies. They cancel each other out, no points awarded to anyone.

TASM v XFC -- XFC hands down.
TASM2 v DOFP -- DOFP hands down.

Spidey - 2/5
X-Men - 4/5 (5/7 with Wolverine added in)

X-men easily.

I don't really care for any of the Spider-man movies. DOFP, X2, and XFC are all great.

Good-X-men 5-X-Men,X2,FIrst CLass,The wolverine,DOFP

Good-SPider-man-3-SPider-man,SPider-man 2,The Amazing Spider-man

X-Men overall (winners in bold)

SM
v XM
SM2 v X2 (just)
SM3 v X3
TASM v FC
TASM2 v DOFP

This is easy for me.

Agreed. And that's sad for me to say, because Spider-man is by far my favorite superhero. I just wish he could have a movie that could do him justice, but I doubt we'll get one anytime within the next decade.

I'm on board with both of you.

It's pretty cut and dry, and if we're talking the 5 main entries for each franchise (excluding Wolverine's solo flicks), then that just makes it easier.

I'm an ardent, lifelong fan of the character, but that's just it - I'm a fan, not a stan, so I have no reservations about calling it like I see it with regard to quality. It takes more than just a character with a few superficial details to please me, and the last 3 Spider-Man movies just haven't delivered the goods. X-Men, on the other hand, has rebounded quite nicely.

This year has been especially noteworthy for the genre (and action yarns alike), but is a bit disheartening to see that Spider-Man ended up being the rotten apple of the bunch.

I'm on board with both of you.

It's pretty cut and dry, and if we're talking the 5 main entries for each franchise (excluding Wolverine's solo flicks), then that just makes it easier.

I'm an ardent, lifelong fan of the character, but that's just it - I'm a fan, not a stan, so I have no reservations about calling it like I see it with regard to quality. It takes more than just a character with a few superficial details to please me, and the last 3 Spider-Man movies just haven't delivered the goods. X-Men, on the other hand, has rebounded quite nicely.

This year has been especially noteworthy for the genre (and action yarns alike), but is a bit disheartening to see that Spider-Man ended up being the rotten apple of the bunch.
I think Sony's worst movie (which is either SM3 or ASM 2, I haven't decided yet) is better than Fox's worst (X-men Origins: Wolverine), but Fox is more consistent. The first two Spider-man's were great to good, but it's been downhill ever since. As you just pointed out, FOX just released their strongest effort with DOFP, and that was preceded by a solid Wolverine solo flick and an even better X-men: First Class. They are getting all their ducks in a row, while Sony is still trying to piece their plans together.

Before this year I'd have given a slight edge to Sony's Spider-man franchise as I consider TASM1 to be it's high point and better than any of the X-Men films made up to that date. But TASM2 sucked and DoFP was a new high point for the X-Men. I'd even rate it slightly better than TASM1 so at this point in time it's the X-Men who are leading and it doesn't look like Sony/Spidey will catch up any time soon as the next X-film also looks more promising than the next Spidey film.

Spidey has 3 good films out of 5.

X-Men has 4 good films out of 7.

So Spidey's average still is ahead of the X-Men but not by much.

Last edited:
X2, First Class and DOFP make it an easy win for the X-Men.

The Spidey films have always been more emotionally involving to me, even the crappy ones, so they got my vote.

i like the 1 v 1 method so here goes:

SM1 vs XM1: SM1 is a couple hairs better. Even though they are both kinda snooze fests a decade later
SM2 vs XM2: TIE. Both are solid gamechangers in the genre.
SM3 vs XM3: XM3 by a couple hairs. Mostly because it wasn't as laughable.
ASM vs First Class: ASM. I actually love this film. Too bad the series is going in the crapper.
ASM2 vs DofP: DofP to be sure. ASM2 was a lackluster cluster**** unfortunately.

Final Tally:
X-series: 2.5
Spider-series: 2.5
THATS RIGHT. ITS A TIE.

If you include the Wolverine movies I think I'd give the edge to Spidey.

But it's worth noting that I'm more exicted for X-Men's potential at the moment. Apocalypse/Deadpool/etc. are far more thrilling in concept than Sinister Six or Aunt May.

X-Men, definitely.

X-Men>Spider-man
X-Men 2>Spider-man 2
X-Men 3<Spider-man 3
X-Men: First Class<The Amazing Spider-man
X-Men: Days of Future Past>The Amazing Spider-man 2

And then counting the two Wolverine movies, it's still the same. Origins sucks, but I loved The Wolverine.

i like the 1 v 1 method so here goes:

SM1 vs XM1: SM1 is a couple hairs better. Even though they are both kinda snooze fests a decade later
SM2 vs XM2: TIE. Both are solid gamechangers in the genre.
SM3 vs XM3: XM3 by a couple hairs. Mostly because it wasn't as laughable.
ASM vs First Class: ASM. I actually love this film. Too bad the series is going in the crapper.
ASM2 vs DofP: DofP to be sure. ASM2 was a lackluster cluster**** unfortunately.

Final Tally:
X-series: 2.5
Spider-series: 2.5
THATS RIGHT. ITS A TIE.

If you include the Wolverine movies I think I'd give the edge to Spidey.

But it's worth noting that I'm more exicted for X-Men's potential at the moment. Apocalypse/Deadpool/etc. are far more thrilling in concept than Sinister Six or Aunt May.

Your thoughts mirror my own. X-Men definitely has the lead in momentum at this point in time.

If I may give a succinct answer rather than a film by film breakdown, the Spidey franchise(s) have done a better job at highlighting the rivalries and storylines on which the comic book monolith was built. At times, the X-men movies have felt like all of the other characters are window dressing for Prof. X, Magneto, and Wolverine. Spiderman's franchise has had missed opportunities as well, but not quite as many as X-men.

This isn't imply that I haven't enjoyed all of the X-men flicks, because I have. Even X-O:Wolverine was solid.

X-Men is 4/5 for me and the same for Spider-Man but I'd give the edge to X-Men for variety and the most recent effort being really strong with Spideys past efforts being the strongest.

The top movies for each franchise are X-Men 1, X-Men 2 and DOFP with SM 1 and 2.

I still would put the best Spider-Man movie over the best X-Men movie.

But, I think I'd give the slight edge overall to the X-Men movies?

If I would have to do tiers.

Excellent: SM2, DOFP, X-Men 2
Very Good: SM1, X-Men, X-Men FC
Good: TASM, The Wolverine
Average: SM3, TASM2, X: TLS
Bad: X: WO

Slight edge, however, X-Men has bigger let downs than Spider-Man has.

Instead of first against first, I'm going with "favorite to least favorite" on both series, and pin one against the other.

Order of the Spider-Man movies to me (favorite to least favorite):
1. Spider-Man
2. Spider-Man 3
3. Amazing Spider-Man
4. Spider-Man 2
5. Amazing Spider-Man 2

X-Men movies (favorite to least favorite):
1. X2
2. Days of Future Past
3. Last Stand
4. X-Men
5. First Class