Godzilla 2016

Here are some of those designs I mentioned. Spoilers for the end of the film and your nightmares.
Faced with defeat at the hands of cooperative humans, the ever evolving g creature was preparing to take us on o r by one
I'm glad they.left this as an o trigingystert with the creature frozen rather thM ittong to this route.
tumblr_oj4lrezZNe1ro2vl4o3_500.jpg

tumblr_oj4lrezZNe1ro2vl4o2_500.png

tumblr_oj23layceX1tjbzq5o1_400.jpg

tumblr_oj4ug1MU7p1qcqjsdo1_1280.jpg

I will share more from the book as I find it.

Theres an Art Of book that had been released for this film. Considering what was explored in some of the concept art, what we got in the film was pretty mild. There is some truly strange artwork depiction g what might have come from the tail at the end.

It is Hideaki Anno.

Thanks for sharing those designs, redhawk. They are truly haunting. Like Guillermo del Toro/Pan's Labyrinth haunting, but even more than that.

I'm kinda hoping we get more Shin Godzilla, but those things are so scary I don't know if I truly want to see them.

You may have to wait. I think there may be riots if he doesn't work on Eva 4.

Even with the massive success of this film, I doubt we'll see a direct follow-up. It might not be a restart every single time but Tohobhas shown the last 15 years that they're willing to allow things to be stand-alones. The next Godzilla film is actually an animated entry later this year.

I'm sure Toho will try to get him back eventually. I would not be surprised to see them working on a new Godzilla for 2018, to fill the gap before Legendary's 2 Godzilla films.

I don't see why they would reboot Godzilla, have it be a massive success and then not make a sequel.

Just wait, they are totally working on something

I don't see why they would reboot Godzilla, have it be a massive success and then not make a sequel.

Just wait, they are totally working on something

Welcome to the Godzilla series, where they don't make necessarily make direct sequels. I wouldn't even call the Heisei series direct sequels. Mechagodzilla/Terror of Mechagodzilla and xMechagodzilla/Tokyo SOS are about the only real direct sequels you can find in the series.

Shin Godzilla also isn't exactly a movie that needs a sequel.

I don't doubt that they are working on something for 2018. Just without Anno, I don't see it as a direct sequel. Lets also see how the anime works out.

io9:
Watch a Crazy Trailer for Japan's 4D Godzilla Theme Park Ride
Germain Lussier said:
If you’ve always wanted to witness a Godzilla attack from the ground level—but without, of course, the 99 percent probability that you would die during it—Universal Studios in Japan has the answer.

Welcome to the Godzilla series, where they don't make necessarily make direct sequels. I wouldn't even call the Heisei series direct sequels. Mechagodzilla/Terror of Mechagodzilla and xMechagodzilla/Tokyo SOS are about the only real direct sequels you can find in the series.

Shin Godzilla also isn't exactly a movie that needs a sequel.

I don't doubt that they are working on something for 2018. Just without Anno, I don't see it as a direct sequel. Lets also see how the anime works out.

The 90s films are weird because they are among the only films in the series to actually carry over human characters between films but even then the Mothra film doesn't really seem to fit. The 90s Mechagodzilla film definitely builds from the King Ghidorah film with the use of the tech from the future.

But yeah wit the 2000s series, Tokyo SOS aside, each film was intended to be its own thing usually only keeping the original 1954 film as a starting point. The problem with the 2000s films is even though it was supposed to allow new takes, Toho micromanaged and it all became very stale anyways. It would seem the learned their lesson.

More of the Art Of

15781324_1158234194285500_1730556283483781251_n.jpg

15823637_1158234310952155_2892720412573401490_n.jpg
15780931_1158234394285480_2489701703144285764_n.jpg
15822802_1158234110952175_7937841927125245520_n.jpg

This one seems to point to Godzilla disolving rather than the monsters bursting from the tail.
15740765_1158234557618797_5644883792724349903_n.jpg

You may have to wait. I think there may be riots if he doesn't work on Eva 4.

I don't think he cares and I don't think he even wants to do it based off the horrendous EVA 3.0.

The 90s films are weird because they are among the only films in the series to actually carry over human characters between films but even then the Mothra film doesn't really seem to fit. The 90s Mechagodzilla film definitely builds from the King Ghidorah film with the use of the tech from the future.

But yeah wit the 2000s series, Tokyo SOS aside, each film was intended to be its own thing usually only keeping the original 1954 film as a starting point. The problem with the 2000s films is even though it was supposed to allow new takes, Toho micromanaged and it all became very stale anyways. It would seem the learned their lesson.

Oh, Toho is still very controlling. They just seem to be willing to work with the creators.

Oh, Toho is still very controlling. They just seem to be willing to work with the creators.

Indeed. I just mean they really allowed Anno and Higuchi to go in some strange directions where in the past they mandated that Kaneko change the story of his film to include Mithra and Ghidorah rather than Anguirus and Varan. Ghidorah was a bad fit for that plot.

Some more designs, closer to the direction they went with. There are also some pictures of sculpts floating around for some female humanoids but I won't share them on the hype.
tumblr_oj9v94LNSX1u5i78io1_500.jpg
tumblr_oj9v94LNSX1u5i78io3_250.jpg
tumblr_oj9v94LNSX1u5i78io8_250.jpg
tumblr_oj9v94LNSX1u5i78io9_500.jpg

Someshots of the original animatronic for the film. Toho claims that none of the footage shot with it made it into the film. Though they do some very convincing CGI work in the film, I remain unconvinced that they scrapped all of this as there were some quality differences between shots.

tumblr_ojf5ndtVQY1qcqjsdo1_540.jpg

tumblr_ojf5ndtVQY1qcqjsdo2_540.jpg

tumblr_ojf5ndtVQY1qcqjsdo3_540.jpg

tumblr_ojf5ndtVQY1qcqjsdo4_540.jpg

I also find it hard to believe they scrapped all this footage. All of it clearly wasn't CG.

I also find it hard to believe they scrapped all this footage. All of it clearly wasn't CG.

Fully agreed. Particularly the shot when he is first opening his mouth while charging the purple beam. While the CGI quality was quite good there is a variation between shots.

Toho's made these kinds of claims before, like before the 1984 film was released they tried to say that all the Godzilla shots were being done with a large quarter scale robot ("The Cybot") though its not in much of the movie. Oddly the 70s King Kong film pulled the same shtick.

I find it a bit ironic that western studios would be more prone to say they've used practical effects nowadays. That animatronic looks sweet by the way.

Last edited:
There's obviously only a few CGI shots in the movie and the vast majority of it is animatronic, so I don't know who they think they're kidding.

There's obviously only a few CGI shots in the movie and the vast majority of it is animatronic, so I don't know who they think they're kidding.

There's a lotore CGI than you think
There are hours long effects breakdowns on youtube, but they focus mostly on the two smaller stages for the most part. The helicopters and a lot of the tanks were also CGI.

Edit: I tried to pull up a link but they pulled the video from youtube.

Last edited:
I mean I can see where there was quite a bit of digital compositing as well, but it was good because they mixed in practical elements with the CG compositing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"