Far From Home Spidey’s Abilities this time around ....*Spoilers*

ragingdemon155

Superhero
Reaction score
So what did people think of how his powers were portrayed this time around? Was the payoff worth it ?

I’ve mentioned time and time again how underpowered he was and the lack of a Spider sense or acknowledging it at all in Homecoming infuriated me. I’m assuming the directors listened to the complaints from fans about his portrayal in Homecoming because this was such a huge step up.

What did you guys think of the Spidersense utilization and focus on it for the last fight ? I just noticed that he actually did most of the last sequence with his eyes closed which is about as comic booky as you can get.

Any complaints about how his abilities were handled this time around ? Coming from
Someone who did a whole lot of complaining, this was such a visual treat to watch .

Yeah. Except Venom is the only villain where his Spider sense won’t work against. Carnage too

To me this was the best “ Spider-sense” sequence in any of Spider-Man film to date. I mean how much more bad ass does it get then running towards a bunch of killer attack droned while your eyes are closed?

The eyes closed part is such a subtle cool touch that made all the pain and frustration of Homecoming worth it.

Last edited:
I saw this just last night and totally missed the eyes closed factor. Why were they closed again? Was it just to take the illusion/mind f*** bit out of the equation I take it?

I saw this just last night and totally missed the eyes closed factor. Why were they closed again? Was it just to take the illusion/mind f*** bit out of the equation I take it?

My memory is playing tricks on me but I’m almost positive it’s a technique Spider-Man used in the comics against mysterio so he could rely completely on the only thing he could trust which was his Spidersense.

He also used it in the spectacular Spider-Man cartoon series. He actually blind folded himself fighting mysterio.

My memory is playing tricks on me but I’m almost positive it’s a technique Spider-Man used in the comics against mysterio so he could rely completely on the only thing he could trust which was his Spidersense.

He also used it in the spectacular Spider-Man cartoon series. He actually blind folded himself fighting mysterio.

I loved that in spectacular spiderman. Yeah it was like I am going to trust my spidersense not my vision on what is real and what is not.

IIRC, there was an episode in the 90s S-M TAS where Spidey used the technique as well.

My only complaint is that I wish that final sequence could have been a bit longer. The nightmare illusion in act 2 was just amazing, and seemed like it just kept going and would never end. Compared to that, the final illusion (with the spider sense) felt really quick.

My only complaint is that I wish that final sequence could have been a bit longer. The nightmare illusion in act 2 was just amazing, and seemed like it just kept going and would never end. Compared to that, the final illusion (with the spider sense) felt really quick.

You won’t get an argument out of me for that....I’m always advocating for longer action in superhero movies lol. So I’m right with you.

I was still annoyed by them leaning hard into the same comic relief bumbling and ineffectualness as Homecoming, but then they had him really step up to the plate and battle a whole drone army and use his Spidey-Sense to fight the drones in the bridge tunnel at the end.

It felt like MCU Spidey finally came full-fledged into his own as a real worthy superhero, and it was also a cathartic and validating victorious moment after his earlier vent to Happy about how unworthy he felt.

Thankfully One thing that seems as if it was scrapped in this movie and not brought up was the “scared of heights”issue which just annoyed the hell out of m I mean the boy goes from being terrified of climbing the side of a monument to casually sticking to the outside of a jet flying straight up into the sky.

Thankfully One thing that seems as if it was scrapped in this movie and not brought up was the “scared of heights”issue which just annoyed the hell out of m I mean the boy goes from being terrified of climbing the side of a monument to casually sticking to the outside of a jet flying straight up into the sky.

I never took it as he was even really scared or heights but wasn't that more supposed to be like his first time at a great height think he even says something a long the lines of "I've never been this high before"

Remember Superman's first flight? It wasn't very graceful, but he's fine if he smashes in to the ground because he's basically invulnerable I think it was just meant to convey that Peter knew he wasn't.

I never took it as he was even really scared or heights but wasn't that more supposed to be like his first time at a great height think he even says something a long the lines of "I've never been this high before"

Remember Superman's first flight? It wasn't very graceful, but he's fine if he smashes in to the ground because he's basically invulnerable I think it was just meant to convey that Peter knew he wasn't.

I get you and you’re definitely making sense. My issue was tied more into HomeComing as a whole. You go from stealing the show and capturing the audience in Civil War gojng up against the Avengers and regressing so far back in Homecoming. He was so utterly useless in that movie no matter who he was up against and then you throw in that scene with the monument.....It just seemed as if they were really stripping him down.

I understand the “Humanizing” aspect of it all but It just didn’t seem to fit coming off of Civil War. It just seemed a bit silly to throw in to the movie. There are other ways to show his vulnerability.

I get you and you’re definitely making sense. My issue was tied more into HomeComing as a whole. You go from stealing the show and capturing the audience in Civil War gojng up against the Avengers and regressing so far back in Homecoming. He was so utterly useless in that movie no matter who he was up against and then you throw in that scene with the monument.....It just seemed as if they were really stripping him down.

I understand the “Humanizing” aspect of it all but It just didn’t seem to fit coming off of Civil War. It just seemed a bit silly to throw in to the movie. There are other ways to show his vulnerability.

I get ya, I've a buddy who's a mega Spider-Man fan (I grew up with the 90's cartoon and he's my favorite Marvel character so I always thought I knew a lot until I met him lol) and even though he still enjoys this iteration of the character he has similar issues to you that they flip flop between making him very competent as Spider-Man and then back to almost a complete novice. That and he says he thinks there's too much tech for Spidey.

I think because I really don't like heights it probably had the desired effect on me as well:funny:. Yeah the building on top of him was definitely more of a moment where you wanted to run in and help him.

I get ya, I've a buddy who's a mega Spider-Man fan (I grew up with the 90's cartoon and he's my favorite Marvel character so I always thought I knew a lot until I met him lol) and even though he still enjoys this iteration of the character he has similar issues to you that they flip flop between making him very competent as Spider-Man and then back to almost a complete novice. That and he says he thinks there's too much tech for Spidey.

I think because I really don't like heights it probably had the desired effect on me as well:funny:. Yeah the building on top of him was definitely more of a moment where you wanted to run in and help him.

It seems like the team listened to the complaints from fans because there was definitely less reliance on tech this time around. For the most part it was just Spider-Man being Spider-Man. The tech and so on was a huge issue of mine in regards to the MCU version of the character as well

Yeah Peter using his Spider-Sense in that drone fight against Mysterio was great. A lot of it felt like it was ripped straight out of a comic-book page too. That was definitely one of highlights of the movie next to the Mysterio illusion sequence, but I agree with Chief275 that it felt a little short and I wanted it to be a bit longer.

It was a treat that Spider-Man actually won his fight against Mysterio, as with Vulture he just survived.

It was a treat that Spider-Man actually won his fight against Mysterio, as with Vulture he just survived.

Honestly in Homecoming he didn’t really win any fight at all if I remember. Somehow something always messed up. He was rag-dolled by vulture in every single sequence pretty much.

So yea much like you, I’m glad he won this time around. Honestly it was pretty insane that he was able to take on an army of attack drones created by Stark. That entire sequence from the time he parts ways with Happy on the jet is absolutely nuts and a great display of the character using his wits, smarts and abilities all in one battle.

Last edited:
In their final fight Peter pretty much defeated Mysterio competently on his own and it was cool to see the character actually using his head before rushing into a fight which was a nice growth. I loved the use of the Spider sense during Peter's final fight against Mysterio and I do hope we see more of his Spider sense in future movies as the MCU kind of downplayed that particular ability.

What did you guys think of the Spidersense utilization and focus on it for the last fight ? I just noticed that he actually did most of the last sequence with his eyes closed which is about as comic booky as you can get.
Loved that. My only complaint is that would have been a perfect place for him to finally call it Spider sense after all the peter tingle talk

Also dude got hit by a high speed train

Makes sense. I love that they made use of it like this. I hate when they ignore his spider-sense.

One part I loved in the final battle was Peter having to adapt to no webbing and coming up with an alternative on the fly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"