Splinter Cell

Project862006

Avenger
Reaction score
splinter_cell-620x387.png

EXCLUSIVE: Studios are kicking the tires on Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell, the hugely popular video game by Ubisoft. I’ve heard that in recent weeks, Warner Bros had engaged in talks, but now, the conversation is with Paramount Pictures, which is the frontrunner to land the project. The studio would not comment other than to say there is no deal. The original game, revolves around Sam Fisher, a covert operative who so far has been put on six missions covering six installments of the game that has sold 22 million units and spawned several novels. Videogame movie deals are always complicated–and there haven’t been that many film successes–and Ubisoft will be very involved and retain control over how the game is translated into a film. Stay tuned to see if Paramount closes the deal, which is likely how this will go down. While Clancy merely endorsed the vidgame, Paramount is steeped in movies generated by the novelist. Kenneth Branagh directing a reboot of the Jack Ryan franchise with Chris Pine, and the studio also developing Without Remorse, the Clancy spinoff novel that focuses on mercenary John Clark.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/ubisoft-vidgame-tom-clancys-splinter-cell-in-play-for-film/

it'll be stuck in development hell. but then again, if Paramont gets it, they need a hit right away.

Considering Paramount just delayed two of their tentpole films for extensive re-shoots, this doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Meanwhile Fox fumbles over the budget on the 24 film...

Tom Hardy???! :awesome:

Color me interested. I wonder which of his five upcoming projects got scrapped then... unless he's found a way to film them back-to-back these next three years.

Damn, the writer to The International is in charge of writing the screenplay to this? That film was severely underrated.

This has a ton of potential then. :up:

Last edited:
so what gets made first fassbender's assassins creed or tom hardy's splinter cell?

Assassin's Creed.

Splinter Cell is still without a studio, but it appears WB is the frontrunner.

I'm not really on the Hardy or Fassbender bandwagon like most but at least this is getting some traction as it really should be a slam dunk to add to Bond, Bourne and Mission Impossible as cinematic espionage franchises.

Damn, the writer to The International is in charge of writing the screenplay to this? That film was severely underrated.

This has a ton of potential then. :up:

Agreed, it was a very underrated thriller IMO and had a killer shootout in the middle.

Assassin's Creed.

Splinter Cell is still without a studio, but it appears WB is the frontrunner.

Splinter Cell could leapfrog it IMO as it is a much more linear type of film to crack and get to the filming stage than the more complex Assassins Creed.

Fassy has Assassin's Creed and Hardy has this. Who's next? Gosling? Hemsworth? :awesome:

Well I guess it's Hugh Jackman for Solid Snake then :up:

You forgot Cumberbatch as Link to complete the fanboy trifecta.

I was thinking more of the younger ones. Oh.. I forgot Hiddleston. :funny:

so are they altering fisher's age he is a father and in his 40's in the games

Agreed, it was a very underrated thriller IMO and had a killer shootout in the middle.

It's so unappreciated. I remember the critics mocking the antagonist [bankers] for the film and the power they hold over some of the most powerful and influential figures/governments in the world, yet a year later... corrupt corporations and banks are on par with intelligence agencies (thanks to the recession).

Ah, you're talking about the shoot out at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum. Yep, it was a pretty wicked scene. :woot:

Splinter Cell could leapfrog it IMO as it is a much more linear type of film to crack and get to the filming stage than the more complex Assassins Creed.

That's true. Splinter Cell is straightforward and less complex.

SC and AC have no patch of the complexity of the MGS storyline. I doubt the film makers will even attempt it.

Hardy? I'm interested. Hopefully it will turn out good, and not end up like the endless amount of videogame inspired/based movies that have been throwaways.

Dammit Tom, don't make me watch this.

Dammit Tom, don't make me watch this.

Honestly, this film has the potential to be something that's not mediocre. Ubisoft is defensive about their titles and the script writer involved is not some random hack. Singer is genuinely a good writer.

Honestly, this film has the potential to be something that's not mediocre. Ubisoft is defensive about their titles and the script writer involved is not some random hack. Singer is genuinely a good writer.
I'll believe it when I see it. I've literally never seen a single video game adaptation that was actually a good movie. Not one. And this fairly generic game series has even less potential than some of the others that failed, imo. And it's not as if Hardy, who's one of my favorite actors, has proven to always have great judgement with scripts, so the fact that he picked it isn't enough to sway me either. But if he's in it, I'll be seeing it either way, so for now I'll just hope for the best while expecting the worst.

Ubisoft has yet to prove they know anything about making movies yet, so I'm not so sure the fact that they're now domineering their adaptations is one for the plus column at this point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"