Splinter Cell

I'll believe it when I see it. I've literally never seen a single video game adaptation that was actually a good movie. Not one. And this fairly generic game series has even less potential than some of the others that failed, imo. And it's not as if Hardy, who's one of my favorite actors, has proven to always have great judgement with scripts, so the fact that he picked it isn't enough to sway me either. But if he's in it, I'll be seeing it either way, so for now I'll just hope for the best while expecting the worst.

Eh, as a fan of series, several sequels felt generic but Splinter Cell made an impact with gamers across the globe as an espionage thriller. It's all in how the director and writer approach the adaptation. I already feel good about Eric Singer being involved. His work with The International was top notch and his screenplay [Damascus Gate] made its way to the Black List, so I'm very optimistic.

Well, I didn't care for The International, but I certainly hope your optimism turns out to be well-placed.

One of these things is not like the others... :o

Yeah, Hemsworth is tall.

It's so unappreciated. I remember the critics mocking the antagonist [bankers] for the film and the power they hold over some of the most powerful and influential figures/governments in the world, yet a year later... corrupt corporations and banks are on par with intelligence agencies (thanks to the recession).

Ah, you're talking about the shoot out at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum. Yep, it was a pretty wicked scene. :woot:

It would be interesting to see how the movie would be received if released in the current climate, much better I would presume. :D

Yep that's the one! some really great camerawork in there and some thumping bullet ridden death.

That's true. Splinter Cell is straightforward and less complex.
If they are looking to follow the story of the games as far as Sam's journey goes the touchstones are universal and should be easy meat for a good writer to convert into a movie trilogy.

I'll believe it when I see it. I've literally never seen a single video game adaptation that was actually a good movie. Not one. And this fairly generic game series has even less potential than some of the others that failed, imo. And it's not as if Hardy, who's one of my favorite actors, has proven to always have great judgement with scripts, so the fact that he picked it isn't enough to sway me either. But if he's in it, I'll be seeing it either way, so for now I'll just hope for the best while expecting the worst.

Ubisoft has yet to prove they know anything about making movies yet, so I'm not so sure the fact that they're now domineering their adaptations is one for the plus column at this point.

Even if you don't like the look of the movie you'd see it?

Have you played the games fc? Sam's journey is not new territory for this type of character but if well written it is compelling and Sam is a different type of agent than the balls to the wall spies in most popular franchises, he's high tech and covert like a real spy, from an action standpoint this film could be quite unique and visually stunning IMO.

Considering how scary accurate The International was to our reality, definitely (on par with Body of Lies). He's a good match for a Splinter Cell adaptation.

As for Ubisoft's inexperience, I'm not worried. It's not like they'll have the game's creators playing director. I'm betting they'll get a director like Edward Zwick (who's known for international dramas).

Even if you don't like the look of the movie you'd see it?
Eventually, yeah. Not necessarily in theaters, but it would at least make my Netflix queue. Unless everyone told me it was the worst thing they'd ever seen and would ruin Tom for me forever, lol. What can I say, I'm pretty hopelessly devoted at this point. I get that way with certain actors and actresses - I'm just as interested in how they perform in a terrible movie as I am in how they are in the good ones.

I can tell you that's the only reason I saw This Means War. Was it a bad movie? Yep. Do I regret it? Not even a little bit. :woot:

Have you played the games fc? Sam's journey is not new territory for this type of character but if well written it is compelling and Sam is a different type of agent than the balls to the wall spies in most popular franchises, he's high tech and covert like a real spy, from an action standpoint this film could be quite unique and visually stunning IMO.
I haven't played it myself, but I did used to watch my brother play video games quite a bit because I enjoyed some of their stories, and these particular games (I think I only ever saw him play the 1st two) were pretty boring to watch because the stories were, imo, pretty generic.

It would be interesting to see how the movie would be received if released in the current climate, much better I would presume. :D

Yep that's the one! some really great camerawork in there and some thumping bullet ridden death.

Absolutely. The perception of corporations and banks nowadays is far different than the one people had three years ago. I'd guarantee critics wouldn't be labeling the concept as 'downright silly' or 'borderline conspiracy mumbo jumbo' anymore.

Hells yeah. It's possibly one of the best shoot outs I've ever seen.

If they are looking to follow the story of the games as far as Sam's journey goes the touchstones are universal and should be easy meat for a good writer to convert into a movie trilogy.

My line of thinking too. Based on what Sam Fisher has done, and where his life heads since the first installment, an epic, exciting and emotional trilogy could be found.

Eventually, yeah. Not necessarily in theaters, but it would at least make my Netflix queue. Unless everyone told me it was the worst thing they'd ever seen and would ruin Tom for me forever, lol. What can I say, I'm pretty hopelessly devoted at this point. I get that way with certain actors and actresses - I'm just as interested in how they perform in a terrible movie as I am in how they are in the good ones.

I can tell you that's the only reason I saw This Means War. Was it a bad movie? Yep. Do I regret it? Not even a little bit. :woot:

Goota say I'm surprised but not in a bad way lol, maybe it's just that stern Lady in your avvy that made me thing you were immune to fangirlism. :D I tend to be the same when it comes to actors/actressess I like as well, I think once you're drawn to them they can lift a movie for you.

Haha! I'm not really a fan of any of the people in that movie yet although I dig Pine in the 2 films I saw him in, but I tend to check out most action films. :O

I haven't played it myself, but I did used to watch my brother play video games quite a bit because I enjoyed some of their stories, and these particular games (I think I only ever saw him play the 1st two) were pretty boring to watch because the stories were, imo, pretty generic.

Ah I see, well the first two games were very much cold spy tales in their stories, Sam's much more interesting and emotionally involved in the stories of the last two games in the series.

Flickchick, you're not entirely wrong about the story being generic. There's nothing groundbreaking about the plot but Sam's journey has been far from boring. His career and choices lead him down a dark and gripping descent as a spy and full-time single father.

Absolutely. The perception of corporations and banks nowadays is far different than the one people had three years ago. I'd guarantee critics wouldn't be labeling the concept as 'downright silly' or 'borderline conspiracy mumbo jumbo' anymore.

Hells yeah. It's possibly one of the best shoot outs I've ever seen.

Exactly, the film has a whole new resonance now and goes to show that just because someone is paranoid, it doesn't mean they're wrong.

Agreed, when I saw it in the cinema I even felt it rivaled the one in Heat.

My line of thinking too. Based on what Sam Fisher has done, and where his life heads since the first installment, an epic, exciting and emotional trilogy could be found.

It will be interesting to see how they cover the issue of Sam's daughter given Hardy's age in comparison to Sam in the games. I'm really hoping whoever they get to direct has some imagination as the stealth tactics used by Sam could be turned into some very cool and visually unique action seqeunces.

Goota say I'm surprised but not in a bad way lol, maybe it's just that stern Lady in your avvy that made me thing you were immune to fangirlism. :D I tend to be the same when it comes to actors/actressess I like as well, I think once you're drawn to them they can lift a movie for you.

Haha! I'm not really a fan of any of the people in that movie yet although I dig Pine in the 2 films I saw him in, but I tend to check out most action films. :O
You mean this stern lady?

adLucille.gif

I know, death stares can be deceiving. :cwink:

Seriously though, if a movie features Tom Hardy, Michael Fassbender, Gary Oldman, Daniel Day-Lewis, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba, Jean Dujardin, Guillaume Canet (though I'm more into his writing/directing than his acting), Kate Winslet, Cate Blanchett, Tilda Swinton, Marion Cotillard or Charlize Theron, there's pretty much no power in the 'verse that would stop me from seeing it at some point, lol.

Ah I see, well the first two games were very much cold spy tales in their stories, Sam's much more interesting and emotionally involved in the stories of the last two games in the series.
Interesting. Well, let's hope they draw from those then. I really am rooting for the first good video game-to-film adaptation to happen any time now. If an amusement park ride can yield a good blockbuster, you'd think video games, with their far more imaginative stories and universes, could have done so by now. There are several video games I thought would make for great movies but no longer want to see adapted just because they manage to ruin them every. single. time.

Exactly, the film has a whole new resonance now and goes to show that just because someone is paranoid, it doesn't mean they're wrong.

Agreed, when I saw it in the cinema I even felt it rivaled the one in Heat.

Right on! In fact, I'm surprised critics bashed the IBBC as a movie villain when the BCCI (Bank of Credit and Commerce International) existed, and operated until 1991. From arms dealing to organized crime to destabilizing governments to assassinations, the BCCI was a real life supervillain.

It will be interesting to see how they cover the issue of Sam's daughter given Hardy's age in comparison to Sam in the games. I'm really hoping whoever they get to direct has some imagination as the stealth tactics used by Sam could be turned into some very cool and visually unique action seqeunces.

I imagine they'll make his daughter younger for the sake of Hardy. It would make sense, but they could also make Hardy older.

Dude, I just pictured Tom firing his supressed FN Five-Seven while in the split, and slitting someone's throat while being upside down. :woot: No doubt. The director has to be creative just like Sam Fisher. This film has to visually stunning.

Oh, and Michael Ironside needs to make a cameo!

International did come out of after the economy crash, so it wasn't like all that stuff wasn't going on.

International did come out of after the economy crash, so it wasn't like all that stuff wasn't going on.

The screenplay was completed in late 2005/early 2006 and filming commenced in mid-2007.

There's a reason why the film was called prescient.

Thunder Road Takes Splinter Cell

The video game announced for development as a motion picture property last year, Deadline today reports that Splinter Cell has found a new producer in Basil Iwanyk and his Thunder Road Pictures.

The first game, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, was released in 2002 and set in 2004, following the adventures of Sam Fisher, a covert operative assigned to a top-secret National Security Agency branch called the Third Echelon.

The game has had several sequels including, most recently, Tom Clancy's Spinter Cell: Conviction, released in 2010. A new game, "Blacklist" is planned for release in August.

Splinter Cell does not yet have a director, but The International's Eric Warren Singer will provide the screenplay. Tom Hardy remains attached to headline.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=105324

No it's real (for now), and it looks like UbiSoft is pulling a Marvel and having creative control over their properties, including Ghost Recon and Assassin's Creed.

I forgot about Assassins Creed too lol

I wish they would pick up the pace with these things

Perhaps with this new direction, things will start getting off the ground.

The only problem with the Tom Clancy stuff is that Ubisoft owns the IPs that only have his name on it, while Paramount owns the actual literary Clancy stuff.

Since two of the Clancy Ubi projects are done at seperate studios, don't expect any crossovers with Chris Pine's Jack Ryan with Tom Hardy's Fisher. Ironically enough, Paramont wanted (or still wants) Hardy to play another Clancy character: John Clark.

http://schmoesknow.com/is-this-the-list-of-directors-considered-for-splinter-cell/

"Is This The List Of Directors Considered For ‘SPLINTER CELL’?!?!"

Top of the list are two names everyone has heard of: Shane Black (IRON MAN 3, KISS KISS BANG BANG) and Peter Berg (BATTLESHIP and the stellar LONE SURVIVOR).

The other names mentioned from our source include:

Morten Tyldum (‘The Imitation Game’ with Benedict Cumberbatch), David Michôd (‘The Rover’ with Guy Pearce) Zal Batmanglij (‘The East’ starring Ellen Page and David Mackenzie (Starred Up).

You guys remember on Chaos Theory (or was it Pandora Tomorrow?) on the special features section they had a teaser for the upcoming movie? Haha.

Peter Berg would actually fit Splinter Cell. I don't hate the idea.

It was Chaos Theory. Berg would be great for this movie

Shane Black doing this would be amazing, but he probably won't do it. I'd rather have him do his Doc Savage film instead.

I think Peter Berg is a safe choice AS LONG as he doesn't have complete control. He's a bit unpredictable. Either he's gold or just bad.

if Shane Black will not be able to do Doc Savage after IM3 boxoffice than hollywood can freeze in hell.

hire Berg and lets enjoy a good directed movie with a good actor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"