Superman Returns SR Sequel: $200 million or else!?

Superman being a success is possibly arguable.

One can probably argue of that $390 million how much of it they truly get back.

TheVileOne said:
Superman being a success is possibly arguable.

One can probably argue of that $390 million how much of it they truly get back.

But we also don't have any clue how much licensing, and things like video games, toys, etc bring in. Those are completely seperate entities from Box office and DVD's. Those numbers we'll never know.

CConn said:
That's the thing. Everything you're taking about is should'ves, would'ves, and could'ves. It's pointless to be dwelling on it, when it simply isn't going to happen.

And just as an aside, when Batman '89 was released, its box office, and the whole "mania" surrounding it was as big, if not bigger, than Spider-Man 1. So yeah, Batman can do it, but obviously for some reason, can't.

I wrote something about this last week comparing franchise starters (bats, supes) vs the recent re-starts. It's interesting to see the numbers.

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10408389&postcount=126

A pretty good analysis. :up:

I'm not sure anyone's popularity has dropped off, per say, rather, it's just not their first movie. I mean, the first movie for a superhero is...a really big event. For its fans, and even the general public who - usually - have at least a passing interest in the character.

So, to see Batman finally done as a dark and pretty adult character in Burton's film, that was a big thing, and people went nuts about. While BB may be better, and may have "perfected" all the little things, it still is something that has already more or less been seen before, and isn't as "new" as something like Spider-Man 1 or even 2.

I guess that goes back to your own point; people always want what's new and fresh, and while it may be, well, emo compared to 80s metal, it's still "what's new".

Pickle-El said:
But we also don't have any clue how much licensing, and things like video games, toys, etc bring in. Those are completely seperate entities from Box office and DVD's. Those numbers we'll never know.

All I see these days is tons of un-bought Superman merchandise crowding the shelves, gathering dust for months on end.

Unless you travel around the country and see that everywhere, then it isn't really a guage on how they merchandise is selling.

Well again, it still hasn't turned a profit like the likers will have you belive. From the front page article:

While Superman Returns wasn't the performer the studio had hoped for, it has earned more than $390 million worldwide and WB and Legendary say they will still turn a profit from the film.
http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=4852

So it still hasn't made a profit. So it is a failure.

KaptainKrypton said:
In all fairness, buggs, Batman being an example is a pretty poor one. SR beat Bat's in overall box office take and BB is still getting its sequel. I'm well aware of your disdain (putting it mildly) of Singer's project since the suit was made public. If only making a shade over $200 million domestic is grounds for a directorial dismissal, then WB needs to shine up fresh pink slips for Nolan and Goyer. I seriously hope the sequel to SR is more up your alley. It's obvious you're just as passionate as the next Superfanatic about Big Blue, and I can't think of how pissed I'd be if I totally hated SR. I was much the same way as you, but toward's Burton, McG, and Ratner's proposed interpretations of the character. I hope the Donner Cut is to your liking so that at least something out of this year is salvageable for you.
No. BB cost 150 mill, and Nolan and Goyer brought it in for a lot cheaper than they could have. So the fact is that that film did turn a profit in Box office, and a lot later in DVD sales. SR still hasn't turned a profit. The quote abpve is a direct copy and paste from the front page. Despite what people here who like the film thing, SR is still considered a failure in that at the end of it's theatrical run, it has still yet to turn a profit.

buggs0268 said:
No. BB cost 150 mill, and Nolan and Goyer brought it in for a lot cheaper than they could have.
Thats still pretty darn expensive. I mean if you compare the two SR was 'relatively' cheap compared to BB.Superman is an alien who can do unbelievable things, Batman is just a man with extradoniary skills, determination and gadgets.

Also, no one added the development costs for Batman Triumphant or Boaz Yakin and Darren Aronofsky's Batman films to BB's budget like they did with SR.

Retroman said:
Thats still pretty darn expensive. I mean if you compare the two SR was 'relatively' cheap compared to BB.Superman is an alien who can do unbelievable things, Batman is just a man with extradoniary skills, determination and gadgets.

Also, no one added the development costs for Batman Triumphant or Boaz Yakin and Darren Aronofsky's Batman films to BB's budget like they did with SR.
My point is, it still as of today according to Variety has not made a profit yet, and this is not including the previous attempts.

buggs0268 said:
My point is, it still as of today according to Variety has not made a profit yet, and this is not including the previous attempts.
So the 191 million from the overseas markets doesn't count?:huh:

and thats just box office reseults..

think of what they will make from merchandise and soon the dvd release.

its not all boo hoo and the WB know it.

Retroman said:
So the 191 million from the overseas markets doesn't count?:huh:
What it is saying is that WB spent a lot more than they are saying on this thing. Hey don't argue with me. Variety is the source, and I am sure they would be in the know with their insiders and all.

ROBOCOP CPU001 said:
and thats just box office reseults..

think of what they will make from merchandise and soon the dvd release.

its not all boo hoo and the WB know it.
stores have been reporting that the merchandising has stunk. The costumes are not moving at all. The merchandising is a dog.

still...theres always the DVD.

and what stores dude? you show no evidence.

There have been posts here about Superman Returns stuff not selling. There was a few articles posted within this forum about the costumes not selling. All the local stores that I went to that had displays in the toy aisle (there are always on the way to the harware deparment) showed no sales. I would even curiously ask the people who oversaw those departments in a few of the chain stores I went to when I would see them re-stocking shelves how the SR stuff was doing, and always they said "haven't had to replace anything on that end cap at all. So badly" or something to that effect.

"'Superman Returns' was a bit of a disappointment with respect to toys. It was more of a love story. If it had had more action it probably would have done better in the toy aisles."
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117951428.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

buggs0268 said:
What it is saying is that WB spent a lot more than they are saying on this thing. Hey don't argue with me. Variety is the source, and I am sure they would be in the know with their insiders and all.
Variety are also the ones who twice (i think) claimed that Hugh Jackman was going play Jonathan Kent which he never did and they also said Maggie Grace from Lost was cast as Kitty Pryde in X3 when she wasn't. So even a great news sources like them get things wrong from time to time.

buggs0268 said:
stores have been reporting that the merchandising has stunk. The costumes are not moving at all. The merchandising is a dog.
I've also read articles which say that merchandising did sell well.So i guess it depends on who they asked and what that person perceives to be a succes.

Here and there i was surprised to see people with SR merchandise like halloween suits and those t-shirts with the new emblem too.Even though the movie flopped in this country.:yay:

Retroman said:
Here and there i was surprised to see people with SR merchandise like halloween suits and those t-shirts with the new emblem too.Even though the movie flopped in this country.:yay:

I already saw 3 kids wearing the Returns suit today.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
Whoa. "Vindicated" thread disappeared!
I know! I'm like what the heck! I think I posted something and I wanted to see your response but now its gone and I forgot what I said. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"